Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Not at 1 atmosphere of pressure. Water stays at 212°F until all liquid has been converted. And yes I'm quite familiar with the properties of superheated steam.

Again not a 1 atmosphere of pressure.

That is what I did when in the service. We made big BOOMs.
Well, gee, now we're making some headway, now that you're making specifications for your test...

What about the other problem? The fact that any scale designed by man is inherently fallible, as the man who designed it is fallible?

Let's say I designed a scale, and picked 1060 as the boiling point of water, and kept the freezing point at zero? Normal body temperature would be just under 500 degrees... would you have a problem with such a scale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,379,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
speaking of super heated water, be careful with water and microwaves!

ive boiled water in them and then when taking it out, it goes boom splash!

but this is an interesting topic considering the subject.

calabrating a thermometer gets dicy when you need to use boiling water doesnt it?

Tucson for example has a different boiling point than the Death Valley....just sayin'
Elevation and its effects on boiling points are well known and documented, although I doubt such was the case in the early 1800's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nope, I mean liquids.

You can heat water beyond 212 degrees in a microwave without it boiling, But drop a cube of sugar into it, and it practically explodes. It's superheated.
In near laboratory conditions.

snopes.com: Superheated Microwaved Water

It's not likely to happen anywhere else unless the conditions are setup to make it as such.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-16-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,046,181 times
Quote:
Well, gee, now we're making some headway, now that you're making specifications for your test...

What about the other problem? The fact that any scale designed by man is inherently fallible, as the man who designed it is fallible?
Not true.

Quote:
Let's say I designed a scale, and picked 1060 as the boiling point of water, and kept the freezing point at zero? Normal body temperature would be just under 500 degrees... would you have a problem with such a scale?
I can handle Kelvin, Centigrade, Celsius, and Fahrenheit. I can certainly handle one more no matter how absurd.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Elevation and its effects on boiling points are well known and documented, although I doubt such was the case in the early 1800's.
The effect of altitude on the boiling point of water was know very early. It was used to estimate altitude by British explorers.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times
How is it not true? Are these men "infallible"?

A foot is 12 inches, because we say it is. An inch is recognized as the same measure by pretty much anyone who still uses it, but these measurements were "plucked out of the air"--they have no real basis behind them.

An object is either heavier than another, or it is not, and any arbitrary measurement is besides the point. It is either hotter today than it was yesterday (at its hottest point) or it is not...regardless of the ability to measure it. Some people may not even notice a difference of a few degrees. That doesn't mean there is no difference.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM

20,411 posts, read 12,318,768 times
Quote:
Clearly or us unedumacated massed on CD wouldn’t be talking about it....

However, since the genesis of this conversation centers around the calibration of thermometers and some such…. And since the AGW debate centers around a global average rise in temperatures measured in tenths of degrees….

I think it is perfectly logical to call into question the value of these readings over long periods of time…

RLC took me to task for suggesting that the thermometers over decades might not be so accurate. He suggested a bucket of ice water and a pot of boiling water were enough to make sure the data recorded at thousands of locations, across 150 years of time was perfectly sound with no issues related to thermometers, changes in technology and collection methods…

Buckets of ice water and pots of boiling water….. And all of AGW hinges on it…. Nice.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Clearly or us unedumacated massed on CD wouldn’t be talking about it....

However, since the genesis of this conversation centers around the calibration of thermometers and some such…. And since the AGW debate centers around a global average rise in temperatures measured in tenths of degrees….

I think it is perfectly logical to call into question the value of these readings over long periods of time…

RLC took me to task for suggesting that the thermometers over decades might not be so accurate. He suggested a bucket of ice water and a pot of boiling water were enough to make sure the data recorded at thousands of locations, across 150 years of time was perfectly sound with no issues related to thermometers, changes in technology and collection methods…

Buckets of ice water and pots of boiling water….. And all of AGW hinges on it…. Nice.
Yeah you're still looking silly.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
In near laboratory conditions.

snopes.com: Superheated Microwaved Water

It's not likely to happen anywhere else unless the conditions are setup to make it as such.
It aint that hard. If you have a very clean and slick glass or porcelain container, it can happen. It happens because there is no imperfection for steam bubbles to form on and surface tension. Its all very thermal dynamic you know….

Rare yes, but can happen more than you might think. It has happened enough to me (I have to boil water in the microwave for coffee regularly) that I tap the side of the microwave before opening the door if the water doesn’t boil when I think it should.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Yeah you're still looking silly.
LOL! guess that makes 2 of us.... cuz you crack me up!

buckets of ice water and a teapot. That is what RLC says all of AGW hinges on....

Just BRILLIANT! (boy have we devolved this conversation or what?)

Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
LOL! guess that makes 2 of us.... cuz you crack me up!

buckets of ice water and a teapot. That is what RLC says all of AGW hinges on....

Just BRILLIANT! (boy have we devolved this conversation or what?)
That's all that's necessary to keep a good mercury thermometer calibrated. But I can understand how someone with your background would fail grasp that.

You should post on the C-D thread about why being uneducated is better. You'll find some cohorts there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies