Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yet another controversy appears to be brewing around Fox News host Glenn Beck. Some are accusing him of a blatant conflict of interest concerning his frequent on-air promotion of an investment sold by one of his main advertisers: Gold.
Quote:
Glenn Beck also regularly talks up gold on his nationally syndicated radio show, where he often endorses Goldline during live commercial segments. Additionally, Beck has had the company's CEO on as a guest. Advertisements for Goldline are also featured prominently on Beck's own website, where he recently promoted gold in an audio clip warning of an apocalyptic future:

When the system eventually collapses, and the government comes with guns and confiscates, you know, everything in your home and all your possessions, and then you fight off the raving mad cannibalistic crowds that Ted Turner talked about, don't come crying to me. I told you: get gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glwor...layer_embedded

Glenn Beck's gold-gate problem - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1022 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Wait, you might be on to something here.

Lets see...

Shows that advocate their sponsors within the show! WHOA, I have never seen this before! This is big, big enough to put a "-gate" on the end too because its not like this doesn't happen every day in the rest of the TV business! Wow, you really are on to something!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
OOOH MYYYYY GOD.....

A tv commercial... Say it isnt so!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Is this the beginning of a manufactured controversy?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Oh lookey, someone can read the front page of yahoo. GB invests in gold and he advises his viewers to invest in gold; since GB has been pitching gold, the price of it has skyrocketed. So the controversy is that GB is making too much money for his viewers/listeners? Get a life people. Sheesh!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
darn the radio guy i listen to buys and recomends buying carbon credits. boy did i mess up

Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
But, but, but LordBalfor and CNBC told me that gold was a stupid idea and I'm going to lose my shirt. If what he's saying is true, liberals should be happy!

Or, maybe it's because people have been making a killing in the gold market, even with the latest drop, it ticks the losers off?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
I wonder what will happen when gold crashes.

Wait, I see it, people will be mad that they were taken advantage of because they refused to see the problems.

Sounds like most problems today, people refuse to see.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I wonder what will happen when gold crashes.

Wait, I see it, people will be mad that they were taken advantage of because they refused to see the problems.

Sounds like most problems today, people refuse to see.
Actually, I'll wager liberals will be very angry at gold mining companies for reigning in all those profits, much like they hate oil companies now. Make up a few cases about strip mining and "slave labor", and you have yourself a nice populist movement going. FDR wasted no time and signed an executive order to ban hoarding of it. Not that it can be enforced, but it's certainly a good way to make the people feel like government's got their back.

Gold crashing? Based on all of the new money creation, not unless we have a severe depression. If that happens, ain't nothing gonna be worth anything other than cash, gold and guns anyway.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I invested in gold before I started watching Beck. See? I do my own research, and my own thinking and, yes, it's been goooood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies