Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks
Well, I don't know how old your son is, so this might be too much for him, BUT......

Have him read the Patriot Act and then read the Constitution and then spend 500 words reconciling the two however he wishes.... (Won't presume to know what side of the coin he'd be on.. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hi all, my son is doing a essay in Composition class and he is stuck and needs some ideas on the topic.

The topic is " How government should balance law order with individual freedoms"

He has to write a 500 word Persuasive paper. SO if anyone has any ideas to get him going that he can research I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks
How old is he?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having had two kids go through high school, it was my experience that the teachers never asked more of the kids than what they should be able to do using their own resources.
Not all schools are the same. And what is wrong with getting ideas from others? He has his own ideas, but he usually goes above and beyond. I see nothing wrong with asking others for their thoughts. Don't agree, don't help.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac View Post
how old is he?
He just turned 16.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, I don't know how old your son is, so this might be too much for him, BUT......

Have him read the Patriot Act and then read the Constitution and then spend 500 words reconciling the two however he wishes.... (Won't presume to know what side of the coin he'd be on.. )
Yes he has already wrote down his ideas, which did include the Patriot act and the Eminent domain and end of life issues. He wants to include all and more. I have a feeling it will be more than 500 words.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
What areas of life is he interested in?

How about the school newspaper? He could research the increasing support in the courts for censorship of school papers.

How about sports? Many schools have adopted mandatory drug testing programs for school sports, or even for all extracurricular activities. They claim it is for the safety of the participants, but in my view this is a palpably absurd claim.

How about police searches and seizures? Should the police be able to break into your house and search it, or to pull you over in your car because they think you have drugs, regardless of what the evidence is?

Or at the student level, what about the case involving the girl who was strip-searched by her principal because of a rumor that she had one or two ibuprophen tablets hidden in her underwear? Was that a reasonable balancing between freedom and law and order?

What about the laws in France and some other countries that prohibit Muslims from wearing veils or other religious symbols? In these times of threatened terrorism, should those laws be permitted, and should we adopt them in the United States? What about claims by Muslim women that they should be able to be covered with a veil in their driver's license photo?

What about music? Should the government regulate the language of rap and other music that is sold to minors because it's vulgar, or supports drug use, or degrades women? Or violent video games?

What about drug prohibition? Why should we throw people in jail for marijuana when we sell alcohol on every street corner, tax it, and advertise it on TV, radio, and every newspaper and magazine?

You get the idea. Even without telling him what to think, there is no end of topics that he could think and write about.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What areas of life is he interested in?

How about the school newspaper? He could research the increasing support in the courts for censorship of school papers.

How about sports? Many schools have adopted mandatory drug testing programs for school sports, or even for all extracurricular activities. They claim it is for the safety of the participants, but in my view this is a palpably absurd claim.

How about police searches and seizures? Should the police be able to break into your house and search it, or to pull you over in your car because they think you have drugs, regardless of what the evidence is?

Or at the student level, what about the case involving the girl who was strip-searched by her principal because of a rumor that she had one or two ibuprophen tablets hidden in her underwear? Was that a reasonable balancing between freedom and law and order?

What about the laws in France and some other countries that prohibit Muslims from wearing veils or other religious symbols? In these times of threatened terrorism, should those laws be permitted, and should we adopt them in the United States? What about claims by Muslim women that they should be able to be covered with a veil in their driver's license photo?

What about music? Should the government regulate the language of rap and other music that is sold to minors because it's vulgar, or supports drug use, or degrades women? Or violent video games?

What about drug prohibition? Why should we throw people in jail for marijuana when we sell alcohol on every street corner, tax it, and advertise it on TV, radio, and every newspaper and magazine?

You get the idea. Even without telling him what to think, there is no end of topics that he could think and write about.
Those are all great ideas. He was already on the music and drug and sports, especially when he plays football. he has many topics now. He is going to research, form his opinions on each and start writing. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed. I did mine. I didn't do my kids'. I'm not doing anyone else's.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
I agree with some of the people here - you need to let him do his own work. Your son is 16, not 6. He shouldn't get any help on homework from parents anymore.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree with some of the people here - you need to let him do his own work. Your son is 16, not 6. He shouldn't get any help on homework from parents anymore.

No help on homework? Wow, ok whatever floats your boat,.As his parent I have no problem trying to give him guidance to open up his mind to things, just as he has shown me things that I didn't learn in school. He has learned something else from this project. That many people just are not into helping others.

Again thanks all that helped for your thoughts, he was interested in reading the concerns of others.

Oh and again getting ideas does not mean doing his own work. He is suppose to get ideas. HE will do the research and essay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies