Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

I'm curious but why don't more companies deliberately try to have their products manufactured in America, charge more money and then let the public know their products are made here? They could even be candid about their higher prices: "Yes, our products cost more but we hire local employees and buying an "x" product goes to supporting American employees" I'm sure there would a lot of Americans who would spend extra money to buy those products knowing they lead to increased number of local jobs? Sure, there will always be the Wal-Mart shoppers who will buy a foreign product just to save $1 but I think this is a new trend that could potentially save America. People are willing to pay 2-3 times for groceries and "organic" produce due to quality and to support local farmers yet we don't apply this same concept to electronics, cars, clothing etc.

Assuming the products are made well and the quality is high, I see no reason why this strategy wouldn't work. I think a problem people have with buying American products is their quality is substandard. For example, the quality of American cars with a few exceptions is known to be substandard. I think all of us have owned an American car at some point in our lives and most of us can tell you it pales in comparison to their Japanese counterparts with regards to durability and quality. I want to buy an American car but my last experience with one 4 years ago tells me otherwise.

I just don't see the govt or Obama doing anything to curtail outsourcing. We are in such huge debt to China and foreign investors that our government can't endorse official protectionist policy. However, consumers can do that. I know that I would be willing to pay more money for a locally made product that still maintained high quality standards knowing it led to more Americans being employed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I would prefer to have the option of buying high quality American prodects even if they cost more. I currently drive an old Buick Wagon and a Made in America Subaru. both are good cars.

I would like to be able to buy Made in America Levi's that are just a tough as they used to be.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
labor costs. We lost and will not recover as we just cannot compete with third world country wages.
Time to move on. Our standard of living will decline as the jobs left in America become all service oriented. 40 years in the making (offshoring); it won't be turned around.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
You can do this now with a lot of products. When you compare an American product to it's imported counterpart the American product is usually better for higher priced stuff. That's not to say a Chinese manufacturer can't make a better product but Americans want cheap junk and that is where American companies have trouble competing. Cheap labor and other things don't factor into high quality merchandise as much so the American company can compete in that level.

I often use lawnmowers as an example, you can go to Wally world and get a lawnmower for $100 or go to the lawnmower store an get one for $400. The Wally world brand needs to be replaced in 5 to 10 years but the $400 lawnmower is a once in a lifetime investment. Your average American doesn't care that it will last him/her forever, all they care about is what the initial cost is.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can do this now with a lot of products. When you compare an American product to it's imported counterpart the American product is usually better for higher priced stuff. That's not to say a Chinese manufacturer can't make a better product but Americans want cheap junk and that is where American companies have trouble competing. Cheap labor and other things don't factor into high quality merchandise as much so the American company can compete in that level.

I often use lawnmowers as an example, you can go to Wally world and get a lawnmower for $100 or go to the lawnmower store an get one for $400. The Wally world brand needs to be replaced in 5 to 10 years but the $400 lawnmower is a once in a lifetime investment. Your average American doesn't care that it will last him/her forever, all they care about is what the initial cost is.
Or all he has is long grass and $100
Hard to let the grass keep growing while you're saving up.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I currently drive an old Buick Wagon .
I had Buick century with 200K on it, I sold it simply because it was beat up. Spent very little on that car other than normal stuff like brakes and tires. Proabaly still running somewhere today becsue it ran great when I sold it.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
That makes the assumption most products that are "Made in America" actually are, and are of good quality.

Even the "proud" American car companies pretty much just assemble them here like legos, most of the materials and basic components are made in Mexico (or China for much of the steel). Even then, if I have a PoS US part and and a PoS Chinese part I'm going to buy the cheaper one...quality matters.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would prefer to have the option of buying high quality American prodects even if they cost more. I currently drive an old Buick Wagon and a Made in America Subaru. both are good cars.

I would like to be able to buy Made in America Levi's that are just a tough as they used to be.

I, too, drive an old Buick and would not trade it for anything. It starts up every morning, have driven it across country more times than I care to remember with NO problems EVER. When driving through the mountains, it soars ahead of ALL the others struggling to get up the hills. Has only 180K on it so far! Nope I'm sold, and intend to get another one when this baby goes to car heaven.

Last edited by lilypad; 12-04-2009 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Nope I'm sold, and intend to get another one when this baby goes to car heaven.
$2800 , 32K miles and it was fixed when I bought it, power everthing and smooth as glass at 120MPH, Jealous?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The cheap lawn mowers I bought didn't have an accessible oil drain plug.

Obsolescence anyone?

The engineered-obsolescence theory of Keynesian economics seems to have originated in Flint, Michigan with General Motors.

Now, justice - Flint is gone!

Flint Expatriates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies