U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM

28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times

Advertisements

Let's see - our top secret instructions for airport screenings have been made public.

The country is drowning in debt.

Unemployment continues to rise. (Don't be fooled with Nov. or Dec. numbers. People are hiring for Christmas. Wait until the end of January)

But we can't wait anymore - college football needs a playoff system.

House panel passes college football playoff bill

A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine its national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers who said Congress has meatier targets to tackle.

It has not passed a full House vote yet.

This is the essence of big government. Nobody is free from their rule. They must call the shots as they see it.

I would like a playoff system also, but not this way. This would turn off more people than the keeping the BCS system the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
Life goes on. We can't stop everything until all our problems are solved.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,986,113 times
Wow, this could be the best thing to ever happen to college football and conservatives have found a way to rip it. Good grief.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:38 PM

28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Twista - I'm not a "by any means necessary" type of guy.

Your obviously OK with gov't telling you what you can do with your life everyday. I'm not. And for the people involved daily in college athletics, this is the over-reaching arm of government affecting their daily existence. You obviously have not experienced this yet.

This best route is for them to figure it out themselves, when they want to do it. If enough people dislike the system and it starts affecting their intake of money - then they will change. But people still fill the stadiums and advertisers are happy.

Why change if it's profitable for them?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,290,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let's see - our top secret instructions for airport screenings have been made public.

The country is drowning in debt.

Unemployment continues to rise. (Don't be fooled with Nov. or Dec. numbers. People are hiring for Christmas. Wait until the end of January)

But we can't wait anymore - college football needs a playoff system.

House panel passes college football playoff bill

A House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine its national champion, over the objections of some lawmakers who said Congress has meatier targets to tackle.

It has not passed a full House vote yet.

This is the essence of big government. Nobody is free from their rule. They must call the shots as they see it.

I would like a playoff system also, but not this way. This would turn off more people than the keeping the BCS system the way it is.
You have Texas and the University of Texas to thank for the distraction. The whiners were left out last year and their politicians went wild.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM

339 posts, read 358,388 times
I guess next congress will expand the NCAA bball tourney to include all teams to make it fair and then take over the NFL and MLB and on and on. Money to be stolen so they get their grubby hands in there.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,718,025 times
Almost as bad as congress investigating steroids useage in baseball.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,027,347 times
By whatever means necessary I say lol ... college football needs a playoff.

Of course, I am an Auburn fan.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Wow, this could be the best thing to ever happen to college football and conservatives have found a way to rip it. Good grief.

I agree that a playoff system for college system could be the best thing for the sport in years.

And interestingly enough, the bill was sponsered by a Republican and the lone dissenting vote was a Democrat. Also, Republican Orrin Hatch has called for a Senate investigation into college football (He's apparently teed about the Utah Utes finishing the season last year as the only undefeated team, yet not a having chance at the title.)

Quote:
"What can we say - it's December and the BCS is in chaos again," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. He said the BCS system is unfair and won't change unless prompted by Congress.
I have a feeling Rep Joe Barton, might be a TCU fan..

Not sure this will change much..but nice try, Congress.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,851,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Twista - I'm not a "by any means necessary" type of guy.

Your obviously OK with gov't telling you what you can do with your life everyday. I'm not. And for the people involved daily in college athletics, this is the over-reaching arm of government affecting their daily existence. You obviously have not experienced this yet.

This best route is for them to figure it out themselves, when they want to do it. If enough people dislike the system and it starts affecting their intake of money - then they will change. But people still fill the stadiums and advertisers are happy.

Why change if it's profitable for them?
Does that mean they should never investigate companies that might be illegally hoarding the money and leaving the little guy out?

The issue at hand isnt the playoff in general, its an anti trust issue of whether or not the teams outside of the big 6 conferences have proper access to the funds as well as the championships that bring on those funds.

It has nothing to do with the fans of the teams that are playing in BCS bowl games, why would the fans of those teams not go to the game? Its about certain FBS schools acessibility to the BCS games. Thats a weak argument on how to fix a multi billion dollar industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies