Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,462,974 times

Advertisements

We did Win---where are all the Jobs now?? and we didn't have riots to do it. we know how to respect each other, and to get along down here in Dixie. God Bless Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If the south had won? Won what? I assume you mean the civil war.

If the south had won the civil war, there would be practically no blacks living in this country today, believe it or not. The North may have been against slavery(because its morally wrong), but they weren't for bringing blacks to the north. In fact, you could free a slave in the North but they had to leave the country within one year. We founded Liberia as a place for those freed slaves to go.

If the South had won(or if the North had just minded their own business), it would have eventually abolished slavery itself. And when it did, there would have been a major movement to push the slaves back into Africa.

With the legacy of slavery merely a memory, we probably would not have had the civil rights era. Thereby we wouldn't have had the the radical shift in immigration policy of 1965. The South(which Texas was a part of), wouldn't have been nearly so kind towards Mexico, and probably would have sealed those borders a loong time ago. The South would have been almost entirely white(by choice), therefore the North would have been almost entirely white(by consequence of no immigration from the South, no great migration).

I highly doubt the South would have gotten involved in either WW1 or WW2. The North probably would have been somewhat similar to Canada though, and sided with the British on everything.

Without our involvement in WW1 or WW2, there might not have been communism, vietnam, korea, no nukes(till many years later). Or if anything, Nazi Germany probably would have developed nukes first. But the Nazi's love America(and all other Western European and Scandanavian countries). So the South still would have been relatively safe.

Without communism, Cuba would probably be a democracy right now, and Florida wouldn't be completely overrun by Cubans right now either.
I dont thank so. The south would have never giving up slaves and the nazis wtf. So the north winning the civil war is to blame for communism,nukes and illegal aliens. All white, you do know you can move away from all the blacks and minorities of the world. I believe slaves would have revolted and fought back, no projects, no welfare, strong people determined to destroy thier tormentors and then go over seas and beat the &*&8 out of cowards like hitler. I can tell from your post your not exactly a friend of civil rights if Im wrong sorry but keep it real if your a racist or separtist say it

Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 AM

558 posts, read 818,822 times
I think if our country hadn't had a civil war (whether or not the south had separated from the union) slavery would have eventually been dissolved peacefully, civil rights would have eventually been granted, etc. It might have taken a few years longer, but that's about it. Actually, it's possible that slavery would have ended a little later, while civil rights were granted sooner...since we're tossing around hypotheticals.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Are cities in the north really more peaceful? Detroit? Philadelphia?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
It is all the fault of the railroads.

If the railroads had been invented 30 years later, the south would have won the civil war or there would have been stalemate which amounts to the same thing.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If the south had won? Won what? I assume you mean the civil war.

If the south had won the civil war, there would be practically no blacks living in this country today, believe it or not. The North may have been against slavery(because its morally wrong), but they weren't for bringing blacks to the north. In fact, you could free a slave in the North but they had to leave the country within one year. We founded Liberia as a place for those freed slaves to go.

If the South had won(or if the North had just minded their own business), it would have eventually abolished slavery itself. And when it did, there would have been a major movement to push the slaves back into Africa.

With the legacy of slavery merely a memory, we probably would not have had the civil rights era. Thereby we wouldn't have had the the radical shift in immigration policy of 1965. The South(which Texas was a part of), wouldn't have been nearly so kind towards Mexico, and probably would have sealed those borders a loong time ago. The South would have been almost entirely white(by choice), therefore the North would have been almost entirely white(by consequence of no immigration from the South, no great migration).

I highly doubt the South would have gotten involved in either WW1 or WW2. The North probably would have been somewhat similar to Canada though, and sided with the British on everything.

Without our involvement in WW1 or WW2, there might not have been communism, vietnam, korea, no nukes(till many years later). Or if anything, Nazi Germany probably would have developed nukes first. But the Nazi's love America(and all other Western European and Scandanavian countries). So the South still would have been relatively safe.

Without communism, Cuba would probably be a democracy right now, and Florida wouldn't be completely overrun by Cubans right now either.
Someone is upset that the South didn't win and they don't have slaves.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
you really think the south would now be living in peace if the civil rights act had not been passed. If the south would've won do you really think we woudl've had it made. I want to hear from NEO-CONs and independents (no SF please) and regular CONS

PS: if I start getting beat up to bad please help Dems
More than just the south was affected by the passing of civil rights acts. Of course most of us are happy the changes occurred. Would they have naturally? who knows, but they did and that is the important thing.

Nita

Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
No way there would be equal rights for everybody if the act had not passed. Official racism would still be legal.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I think if the Civil Rights legislation wasn't passed in 1964, it would have been passed during the following decades. So, except for being the boot in the a-- that got this country moving forward, we would just be further behind in achieving real equality in this country. But we've got a long ways to go, still.

As for if the South had won the Civil War, I think the entire world would be different. The Confederacy would not have held together over time, especially with the right of secession clearly established. I also don't think the North would have held together as the United States. New England would probably have been the first region to form its own country, and I think some of the western states would have become part of Canada. There would not be an American superpower, but possibly Canada would have assumed that status. Texas would probably have expanded into Mexico, as well as into New Mexico and Arizona. A very different world.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Again, I suggest that anyone/everyone read a fairly new book titled Cotton and Race In the Making of America, by Gene Dattel. It will open your eyes and maybe your minds about the past, and perhaps the future, too. I would quote from the book, but I'd end up quoting the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies