U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
17,412 posts, read 16,076,059 times
Reputation: 15966
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How come you ask me to read articles about the civil war? I took that subject but know there is more to learn. The issue is how discrimination was allowed in the South & the confederate flag was always around. A kind of thinking unaccepted in America so why not tear the monuments down?
CS, you continue to ignore the fact that slavery and prejudice was extensive in the north along with the south. Back then everyone had a hand in it so you can't just blame the south.

The war was not about slavery as pointed out thousands of times.

You mentioned other people beside blacks such as Hispanics being insulted by the symbols of the Confederacy. If you would limit your argument to blacks it might work but it is so far removed from Hispanics and Asians it is pretty much a non issue and in most cases not even part of their history.

 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
 
900 posts, read 148,644 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
CS, you continue to ignore the fact that slavery and prejudice was extensive in the north along with the south. Back then everyone had a hand in it so you can't just blame the south.

The war was not about slavery as pointed out thousands of times.

You mentioned other people beside blacks such as Hispanics being insulted by the symbols of the Confederacy. If you would limit your argument to blacks it might work but it is so far removed from Hispanics and Asians it is pretty much a non issue and in most cases not even part of their history.

The war was about slavery, as has been pointed out thousands of times. All the Confederate sympathizers in the world bleating about how it was for some noble cause cannot change that fact - no matter how much you want it to.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
 
900 posts, read 148,644 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Slavery and Segregation were indeed unfortunate (Segregation was originally a Northern thing FYI), but you are still all around wrong about the Confederates.
Slavery and Segregation were 'unfortunate'? Wow. Don't go out on a limb or anything.

Thank you. You have summed up the essential difference between the apologists for slavery and the Confederacy and the rest of us.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
 
366 posts, read 60,075 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I do not care what the confederate flag or their monuments mean to you - good old boys; to me and my black brothers, they both are icons of RACISM and are leftovers from last few decades. So yes, I don't want monuments that worship and celebrate the slave south's agenda. A grave or memorial, depending on content I'm cool with.
I can TOTALLY understand your sentiment, but like others I think they should remain as a reminder.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
2,633 posts, read 1,844,178 times
Reputation: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
The war was about slavery, as has been pointed out thousands of times. All the Confederate sympathizers in the world bleating about how it was for some noble cause cannot change that fact - no matter how much you want it to.
We never said it wasn't over slavery, it wasn't just over slavery, alot of issues lead to wars. Slavery was just one of the ingredients of the Civil War.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 5,995,156 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How come you ask me to read articles about the civil war? I took that subject but know there is more to learn. The issue is how discrimination was allowed in the South & the confederate flag was always around. A kind of thinking unaccepted in America so why not tear the monuments down?
No, I asked you to google and find articles, youtube videos, etc. about H.K. Edgerton. See what he has to say about the Confederate flag and the Civil War...and yes, there is much, much more to learn.

...and unfortunately, discrimination hasn't been allowed only in the South....the South doesn't have a corner on that market.

By the way, the monuments are not monuments to discrimination.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 5,995,156 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Slavery and Segregation were 'unfortunate'? Wow. Don't go out on a limb or anything.

Thank you. You have summed up the essential difference between the apologists for slavery and the Confederacy and the rest of us.
I don't believe you've read all 16 pages of this thread. No one is defending slavery. Would that be an indication of your mindset?
 
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,044 posts, read 980,188 times
Reputation: 407
Should we tear down the Roman Coliseum? The Great Pyramids? The Tajmahal?

The latter two were built with slave labor and the first housed executions and the torturing of innocent Christians and slaves.

The answer? NO. We should learn from history, not try and erase it.
 
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,313 posts, read 838,444 times
Reputation: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Should we tear down the Roman Coliseum? The Great Pyramids? The Tajmahal?

The latter two were built with slave labor and the first housed executions and the torturing of innocent Christians and slaves.

The answer? NO. We should learn from history, not try and erase it.
The White House was built with slave labor too
 
Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
23,493 posts, read 10,314,453 times
Reputation: 7750
German War Memorials

Here are plenty of pictures of WWII monuments in Germany. Every nation has monuments to every war. That doesn't make them anti-semites, it just means they honor their dead.

Leaders get to decide when to fight wars. The grunts just do as they are told. Most of the Germans who fought in WWII couldn't care less about the Jews of Europe. Most of them probably had no idea that the holocaust was happening until after the war. Most of the Confederate soldiers weren't fighting for slavery, they were fighting because their homes were being threatned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top