Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgun View Post
mossomo this word racist is being used a lot,which is ignorance of the truth. This is the truth which is ignored:The Confederate States withdrew from the Union lawfully, civilly, and peacefully, after enduring several decades of excessive and inequitable federal tariffs (taxes) heavily prejudiced against Southern commerce.
"Southern commerce" being a politically correct term for? You can say it. Don't be PC. Yes, slavery. The Southern Gentlemen weren't bashful about it, after all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander H. Stephens
The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.

But hey, he was just the VP of the confederacy. What does he know?

Quote:
[SIZE=-1]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[/SIZE]
Just a minor spiff over taxes. Nothing about slavery. Nope, not a thing. Well, ok, except for slavery being named the cornerstone of the Confederation.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"Southern commerce" being a politically correct term for? You can say it. Don't be PC. Yes, slavery. The Southern Gentlemen weren't bashful about it, after all:

Just a minor spiff over taxes. Nothing about slavery. Nope, not a thing. Well, ok, except for slavery being named the cornerstone of the Confederation.
You make some good points. But what does "immediate" mean in this context? Have you thought about that?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I do not care what the confederate flag or their monuments mean to you - good old boys

If that's the case, then why should I compromise with someone who has such contempt for me and my opinion? Why should I even listen to what you have to say?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times
131-14
What was that again about what "the majority think"???

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
131-14
What was that again about what "the majority think"???
I think 14 people could tear down a confederate monument pretty easily. Let's go!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I do not care what the confederate flag or their monuments mean to you - good old boys; to me and my black brothers, they both are icons of RACISM and are leftovers from last few decades. So yes, I don't want monuments that worship and celebrate the slave south's agenda. A grave or memorial, depending on content I'm cool with.
Too bad you can't see it for what it is..a piece of history.
You only say racism because that is what YOU see in it as your personal opinion.

Then I say to you..move if it brings you so much hatred for history.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Quote:

Let's not for get this one............

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

Oh, whoops, that's a Lincoln quote.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The war was started because of unconstitutional acts against the southern states.

Kinda like what is happening right now in this nation.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Neither, apparently, were the Northern slave-traders bashful about it (although many northern historians tried to deny the past and white-wash it, later). They seemed to have made a lot of profit off the said "commerce."

Slavery in the North

Quote:

Ah, yes, the Cornerstone speech! This is usually "cherry-picked" by those who want to believe it was all about slavery and nothing else. Here is a link and some excerpts from it:

Cornerstone Speech

Naturally, people who want to regard it as settled will cut those corners. The easy expedient is to go in search of one zinger of a passage that, taken out of context, will seem to prove the case. Those willing to be convinced will look no further and those who disagree will be required to build up the cathedral of context, a tedious process. By the time they finish, the audience will have wandered off with the zinger lodged in their heads.

So they pick through the sources. Jeff. Davis's inaugural speech? No, it makes nary a mention of slaves or slavery. Robert Toombs' report to the Georgia legislature in 1860? No, that outlines how anti-slavery agitation in the North was exploited by political powers there to disguise economic motives....

The "Cornerstone Speech" by Alexander Stephens is their weapon of choice. Stephens, a Georgian who had served in Congress, was the new vice president of the CSA, and in this speech he explained the new Confederate constitution and the prospects of the new nation, as he saw them, to an audience in Savannah in the spring of 1861.

The Savannah speech is a sad affair, not just because of the blunt racism of that one passage -- the racism itself, it ought to be noted, would hardly have offended any white audience in 1861 America, North, South, or West, outside a few abolitionist circles.

Quote:
I don't know that anyone here has ever said slavery was not an issue. What has been said was that it was one of many, and intertwined with the same. Referring back the Stephens speech, he was giving some personal opinions, not quoting the CSA constutition.

But if quotes are going to be exchanged, then, in addition to the one Electron provided from Lincoln, here is another from him (speaking in his official capacity as U.S. President):

You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races. Whether it is right or wrong I need not discuss, but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as I think your race suffer very greatly, many of them by living among us, while ours suffer from your presence. In a word we suffer on each side. If this is admitted, it affords a reason at least why we should be separated.

So is it they say about people who live in glass-houses...?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 AM

900 posts, read 672,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was using it to prove a point. That everyone in the world, even those who are viewed as pure evil, honor their dead. Even the German dead of WWII.

I don't see anyone tearing down any Confederate monuments. I welcome you to try at my home town. Its right in front of the police station.

Yes, I imagine the White Sheets would come out then, with the racist cops wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies