Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

I am in a so called interracial relationship. I am white and my wife is Thai.
Asian men seem to hate the idea of asian women with white guys. Check out asia finest discussion forum. The racist tirades are never ending.
Most white men have no issue with a white= asian combination. White women however seem to have a bone with it.
Questions I have been asked by white women.
1. What no white women were good enough?
2. What you needed a slave?
3. Couldn't find a white woman that would take your crap.
There are many more. I am more amused by this than anything. People have this notion that asian women are mindless drones. The reality is quite the opposite. In Thai culture and I suspect other asian cultures, women rule the house hold. No maybe about it.
As far as white on black relationships? I honestly never gave it a thought. If I see a black guy with a white woman, thats all I see and don't waste any energy trying to determine why she is with him. I simply assume she likes him.
The relationships I do question? Big fat red neck with an abusive mouth with anyone.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM

221 posts, read 484,698 times
I'm surprised this thread is still open. It seems the race-related threads are either closed or deleted (they deleted a thread I started in response to an interracial relationship thread that was closed).

So I'll state my case here.

From my experience, people who oppose interracial relationships are racist. I don't say that just because they are against interracial relationships, but 10 times out of 10 whenever I continue talking to them, they'll make other racist or racially insensitive remarks, or they'll start complaining or going on these heated rants about that other race. Happens everytime.

But, I've concluded that their opposition to interracial dating, their racial preference in potential mates, are all related to their disdain either for certain races or anything different than "their own kind."

Also, I don't believe racism or racial preference is natural. If it was natural, all of us would be this way. I believe it boils down to the way the person was raised, and the environment they grew up in. A person is socialized to either be racist or non-racist, willing to date people or other races or unwilling to, plain and simple.

Perceiving all people of a certain race as "ugly," is a product of their deeply held racist impulses. There's no other way around it. There are beautiful people and ugly people and people somewhere inbetween in all races, regardless of the general features that define that racial or ethnic group, and if you can't see that then your heart and soul are weighed down by a load of racial hatred for that group.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have preferences and standards in who we invite in our closest and most intimate circles, but choosing those individuals based on how light or dark their skin is or how thin or thick their lips are or how wide or narrow their nose is, is, well, absurd. A person is very much compatible with you in things like personality, cultural and social values, education level, intelligence, interests, talents, upbringing, and they don't make the cut because they're too dark or their hair is not straight enough, does that really make any sense? Ultimately, racist people are going to miss out on ALOT of valuable opportunities in life and will overlook lots of very good people who would otherwise be an excellent fit for them beacuse of their narrow way of thinking.

Honestly, I don't see anything good or positive or healthy about selecting (or rejecting) people based on race. I also can't understand how some people can be attracted to one race, and not attracted to another. I'm a man, and personally I'm attracted to women of all races. Black, white, hispanic/latino, middle eastern (there are plenty of those in southeastern michigan where I'm from), asian, east indian, american indian, mixed, whatever. Furthermore, I can't understand how people could be turned off by a certain race.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM

486 posts, read 984,103 times
I'm glad and greatful to be in the most fulfilling relationship I've ever had and it's an IRR. Hispanic/White. We are both well educated and come from similar financial backgrounds (middle class that started out very poor), so I think that helps alot. His family loves me and my family loves him too. I think that black/white relationships have it a little more difficult though because people are ignorant and/or closed minded, as I have seen a fair share of people look down upon black/white IRRs, even here in one of the most liberal cities in the USA.

Last edited by gf1025; 12-22-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 AM

556 posts, read 622,764 times
During the late 70's, I worked on 51st and Madison. I shared an office with a young black woman about the same age as me. We both worked hard and made a pact that every Friday we would go out to lunch to start off the weekend. We must have looked like a couple because many black men made nasty comments to us and her in particular. This was in the middle of Manhattan! We were both amazed at their assumptions and reactions.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It seems like Americans, particularly white Americans, strongly oppose IRR. I understand that its 1929 moving to 1930, so that explains a lot.

Why do people oppose race mixing?
I'm more curious about why people think it's their business what consenting adults do with each other.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I'm glad and greatful to be in the most fulfilling relationship I've ever had and it's an IRR. Hispanic/White.
How is an Hispanic/white relationship interracial? Hispanic is a culture, not a race. And, Hispanics classify an identify themselves as white. Multi-cutural yes, but interracial...no way.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
How is an Hispanic/white relationship interracial? Hispanic is a culture, not a race. And, Hispanics classify an identify themselves as white. Multi-cutural yes, but interracial...no way.
Hispanics are mostly of mixed racial ancestry be it a combination native American, African and/or European ancestry. And most people can look at the majority (not all, but the majority) of Hispanics and be able to distinguish them from Caucasians.

Celia Cruz was Hispanic and not White.

Edward James Olmos is Hispanic and not White.

George Lopez is Hispanic and not White.

Eva Longoria is Hispanic and not White.

Why is there such a fervent need by some to classify Hispanics as "White"? Hispanics are mulitracial. And most people will simply use the "eyeball test" and classify Hispanics as they appear to the average person.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM

486 posts, read 984,103 times
I was waiting for that reply! hehe. Like Calipoppy said, Hispanics come in all shades! Definitely best classified as multi-racial, even when they "look white".
Needless to say, we're definitely from different cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post

Last edited by gf1025; 12-22-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 11:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It seems like Americans, particularly white Americans, strongly oppose IRR. I understand that its 1929 moving to 1930, so that explains a lot.

Why do people oppose race mixing?
I think more and more it's really becoming pretty normal. I've always said it would be more important to me that my kid be treated well than for her guy to have matching skin color.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I don't think we do anymore. I jsut think that some people today, have not gotten over the black white issue, and still want to see this as a major issue. I don't feel it is. We see black and white couples all over the place, no matter the city, i see it. and the bi-racial chidlren, who i see not impacted at all, People make the biggest issues of this.

If we still do, it is most likely culture, or a Ancestors issue, where you want to keep it in the family which i do understand that.

I think people today, are more nosey then ever, and worry about things that should be of unimportance to them.

I see this as more acceptable, but if these kinds of discussions are continually going on, sometimes it makes one think, am i right in my thinking or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies