Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Early in my life my step-father was in the air force, and we were stationed at Andrew's Air force base, we went to school in Prince Georges County Maryland(very rough area, very black). We used to go to Washington DC almost every weekend(all the museums and zoo there were all free to enter). The school I went to was heavily mixed, I was young and I never had any problems, but supposedly my oldest sister(she is 7 years older than me) was very badly treated there. She says that she was the only white girl in her class.

Later on we moved to Oklahoma, and one of my best friends from 6th grade till high school was half black and half white. His mother was white, she raised him because his father wasn't around(I don't know why). At first he acted like everyone else, then he became kind of obsessed with being black. It was kind of the early 90's, and he had the Bone-thugs in harmony cd. I remember we used to try to rap the song crossroads, and we did "put 5 on it" in a talent show thing for junior high(we were really bad). By the time high school came around, he had become obsessed with being black, and he got to where he annoyed me, everything was about being black. When the teacher would call his name to answer a question he would reply "its cause im black right? don't think i know the answer cause im black?" Then he got obsessed with some pretty hardcore rap(I like hip-hop but I am not big into hardcore rap). And then we just stopped hanging out together. All his friends through high school were pretty much all black.

I have known plenty of people of other races as an adult through work, but none have really been my "good" friend. I am always polite to others, but it seems like we are just too culturally different(we just don't like/do the same things).

I don't hate anyone, in fact, I remember when I was about 13, I stayed at my grandmothers house on the Southwest side of Oklahoma city for a couple months. She was very prejudice, and the only kids in the neighborhood were these black kids that lived directly behind us, and some hispanic kids that lived next door to us. She absolutely did not want me to hang out with them, and she wouldn't let me go outside most of the time, or she wouldn't let me leave the yard. Many times I would sneak over and play with the black kids that lived behind us, or I would nag her until she let me. I can't remember much about them now, but I remember there were like six of them, and there was no father around. In hindsight, I could see why my grandmother was concerned. They had this barn next to the house, and they would throw little parties in there all the time, and dance. Some of them were older than me.

The hispanics next door, I used to go over and play basketball with them. It was pretty weird because I only went inside their house one time, and their grandmother lived there and she didn't speak English. It was the first time I had ever met someone that didn't speak English. I had a Korean friend also in high school. I went to his house a couple times, it was funny because I used to have a bad stutter growing up, and I tend to squint my eyes a lot. So I walk over to his house and his mom comes to us and starts talking in Korean to him. But he spoke back to her in English, so I could understand what he was saying to her but not what she was saying to him. I guess she thought I was high because I was stuttering.

I wonder what happened to him, I only talked to him one time after high school. Its funny cause I saw him at the grocery store(wal-mart neighborhood market), and he was married to a white girl, she also went to school with us.
Ok, so you know like two people and basing the experiences off of them....

Do you think Derek Jeter shouldn't exist?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

I don't even know if I should intervene in this conversation, but, I will say this. I absolutely *hate* hetero white men. The only reason is that I once had a white hetero mother who was only sixteen when I was born. I was lucky enough to get adopted, but not lucky enough to avoid any abuse. I want to be loved, and I found that love in a non-white guy. White guys are seriously f**cked up right now. I have no idea why.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I don't even know if I should intervene in this conversation, but, I will say this. I absolutely *hate* hetero white men. The only reason is that I once had a white hetero mother who was only sixteen when I was born. I was lucky enough to get adopted, but not lucky enough to avoid any abuse. I want to be loved, and I found that love in a non-white guy. White guys are seriously f**cked up right now. I have no idea why.
I feel horrible for what you went through, but by doing the same labeling and stereotyping redshadowz is doing you are being just as ignorant as he is.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

You are looking at it the wrong way. Derek Jeter would exist regardless, he just wouldn't be Derek Jeter. Any child of an interracial marriage would exist, because that parent would just marry someone else.

Look at it like this, my mother had her first child when she was very young. My oldest sister is actually only my half sister. Her father asked my mother to marry him but she was only 17(because she was pregnant), and she said that she didn't think he really wanted to marry her(his parents were trying to force him to marry her), so she turned him down.

My mother later married my father, but he wasn't a very good guy, he was kind of a loser, and he cheated on her a lot, and slapped her many times. She had three kids with him before she finally left him.

My mother still talks to my oldest sister's father. He had another daughter with another woman, but they didn't stay together. He always wanted a son but never got one. They talk about the "what if's" a lot. Because, I am the son that he never got.

The truth is, if she would have stayed with him, I might have still been born, I just would look a lot different. But no one knows if it would be for the better or for the worse(though I can't imagine it being worse).

I am very fixated myself with the "what if's". The question is, as a whole, are interracial marriages a good thing? Lets not pull out a Derek Jeter and say, because Derek Jeter does what hundreds or thousands of other professional ball players do of all races, that interracial marriages are good. Lets look at the group as a whole. Would you say interracial children are better off than a non-interracial child? Would you say interracial relationships are better than non-interracial relationships?

The truth is, we already have that information. We know that interracial marriages have an abyssmally low success rate. And we know that mixed children have a very high correlation of identity issues. So the only question isn't whether it is good or bad, it is whether we should regulate it or not. Should we take away someones freedom because we think it is for the good of society?

We can use this same logic and apply it anywhere in life. From drugs, to seatbelts, to mandatory schooling, to public welfare services, environmental policies, etc. If you support regulating peoples behavior for the common good, then you should not support interracial marriages. Period.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-22-2010 at 01:02 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
You are looking at it the wrong way. Derek Jeter would exist regardless, he just wouldn't be Derek Jeter. Any child of an interracial marriage would exist, because that parent would just marry someone else.

Look at it like this, my mother had her first child when she was very young. My oldest sister is actually only my half sister. Her father asked my mother to marry him but she was only 17(because she was pregnant), and she said that she didn't think he really wanted to marry her, so she turned him down.

My mother later married my father, but he wasn't a very good guy, he was kind of a loser, and he cheated on her a lot, and slapped her many times. She had three kids with him before she finally left him.

My mother still talks to my oldest sister's father. He had another daughter with another woman, but they didn't stay together. He always wanted a son but never got one. They talk about the "what if's" a lot. Because, I am the son that he never got.

The truth is, if she would have stayed with him, I might have still been born, I just would look a lot different. But no one knows if it would be for the better or for the worse(though I can't imagine it being worse).

I am very fixated myself with the "what if's". The question is, as a whole, are interracial marriages a good thing? Lets not pull out a Derek Jeter and say, because Derek Jeter does what hundreds or thousands of other professional ball players do of all races, that interracial marriages are good. Lets look at the group as a whole. Would you say interracial children are better off than a non-interracial child? Would you say interracial relationships are better than non-interracial relationships?

The truth is, we already have that information. We know that interracial marriages have an abyssmally low success rate. And we know that mixed children have a very high correlation of identity issues. So the only question isn't whether it is good or bad, it is whether we should regulate it or not. Should we take away someones freedom because we think it is for the good of society?

We can use this same logic and apply it anywhere in life. From drugs, to seatbelts, to mandatory schooling, to public welfare services, environmental policies, etc. If you support regulating peoples behavior for the common good, then you should not support interracial marriages.
I wouldn't say either one is better than the other. If it is a good stable loving relationship then its good. If its not then its bad. Both of those have happened and will continue to happen in marriages that are between members of the same race and between members of different races.

The determining factor in someone getting married should be if they are in a loving and committed relationship, whether they are the same race or not should never be part of the equation.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Look at it like this, my mother had her first child when she was very young. My oldest sister is actually only my half sister. Her father asked my mother to marry him but she was only 17(because she was pregnant), and she said that she didn't think he really wanted to marry her, so she turned him down.

We can use this same logic and apply it anywhere in life. From drugs, to seatbelts, to mandatory schooling, to public welfare services, environmental policies, etc. If you support regulating peoples behavior for the common good, then you should not support interracial marriages. Period.
Really? Who had more power?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM

I weigh about 100 pounds soaking wet. I can't solve a **** fight, because I don't have those parts. If you guys want to fight it out, go for it. It was never fair for me. You raped me--a lot of you did--or you didn't. Pick the side you are on, boys, pick the side you are on. The "men of color" never hurt me, so I made my choices. WTF is wrong with you?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Really? Who had more power?
What do you mean by who had more power?

Quote:
I weigh about 100 pounds soaking wet. I can't solve a **** fight, because I don't have those parts. If you guys want to fight it out, go for it. It was never fair for me. You raped me--a lot of you did--or you didn't. Pick the side you are on, boys, pick the side you are on. The "men of color" never hurt me, so I made my choices. WTF is wrong with you?
You sound very upset, I am sorry for upsetting you. I am not trying to judge you, but you sound like you made some decisions for quite your own personal reasons, that were more emotional rather than rational.

I can totally understand your feelings, and why you made the decisions you did. I just tend to focus on outcomes rather than intentions. Your intentions were justified, I just concern myself with the outcome. I just don't see the outcome as being good. And what I mean by this is, whatever decisions you make in life, affect other people, especially your family and your children.

Your family may have been torn apart because you made an emotional judgement. Your children will probably live a life of hardship and depression, because you made an emotional judgement. But I am sure you don't care, because it sounds like your family was already screwed up from the start.

I would have rathered you went lesbian.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
I find white males with dark women extremely weird to even see on the streets.

I find white men with a dark woman to be just weird and out of place.

What you find weird really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. True love supercedes skin color. Thank goodness that our society did away with laws barring interracial relationships.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Klans = Whites in the Southern United States
Not all southern whites are racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies