Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What you find weird really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. True love supercedes skin color. Thank goodness that our society did away with laws barring interracial relationships.
Why? Why is our society better because of it? Can you explain what benefits society has gotten from interracial marriage?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:31 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I find freedom to be a problem with it causes problems. There is a reason there is a war on drugs, because drugs cause problems. But so does alcohol, pre-marital sex, abortions, interracial relationships, and a billion other things.

Interracial marriages stir up trouble in a community, and cause huge identity issues for the children. Am I black? Am I white? Which heritage should I embrace? In America most mixed blacks consider themselves black, because society sees them as black. In other countries, they see them as white and they are often outsiders.

I just see what most people consider "freedom", to be irresponsibility and lack of foresight. It is this "I want this, so should I be able to have it", entitlement mentality that has permeated the American psyche.
The reasons why biracial children have identity issues is because close-minded folks such as yourself refuse to see anything but race. News flash: We are ALL part of the same race - the human race. The quicker folks embrace this, the sooner we can all heal from the wounds of racism.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Do you know nothing about the children of interracial couples? Do you know nothing about the divorce rates of interracial marriages? The divorce rate for interracial couples is astronomical.

Does Obama not talk about his issues related to how his father was black and his mother was white? That is not an isolated incident, that is extremely common. Most children of interracial couples have some identity issues. I am sorry, there is a lot more to my views on interracial couples than just being a "bigot".
How many biracial folks do you know personally? As a Los Angeles area resident, I have known lots of biracial kids and adults who are very well-adjusted.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:35 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Why? Why is our society better because of it? Can you explain what benefits society has gotten from interracial marriage?
More lighter skinned people, for better reflecting heat away from the earth.

This has prevented global warming.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I don't even know if I should intervene in this conversation, but, I will say this. I absolutely *hate* hetero white men. The only reason is that I once had a white hetero mother who was only sixteen when I was born. I was lucky enough to get adopted, but not lucky enough to avoid any abuse. I want to be loved, and I found that love in a non-white guy. White guys are seriously f**cked up right now. I have no idea why.
I'm glad you were able to find true love Diva, especially after suffering abuse while growing up. I know that negative experiences can cloud our vision when it comes to certain racial groups but believe me, not all white men are messed up. I'm not suggesting that you start dating white men as you are obviously happy in your current relationship but please don't paint all of them with a wide brush.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
It has opened the doors for two people who love each other to get married legally. True love is colorblind. No one should be barring people from getting married over a superficial reason as skin color. Skin color has no bearings on the content of one's character, intellect or abilities.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
The religious right believe that non-whites are the children of Ham and are supposed to be slaves to whites. The GOP under Bush and Reagan was built around this concept.

True Right Wing Conservatives believe in Individual Liberties and historically have fought against slavery and segregation.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It has opened the doors for two people who love each other to get married legally. True love is colorblind. No one should be barring people from getting married over a superficial reason as skin color. Skin color has no bearings on the content of one's character, intellect or abilities.
You are avoiding the question. What benefits has interracial anything brought our society? Are there ANY benefits at all because a white man and black woman have a baby? No. There are also no benefits for white men and white women to have a baby.

But, what are the problems associated with a black man and a black woman having a baby? none. What are the problems associated with a black man and a white woman having a baby?

1) The loss of identity, am I white or am I black? Many whites know their lineage, Irish, Italian, German, etc. Blacks do not, and as you mix, all of this gets more and more skewed, especially since mixed-races in this country are not seen as whites. In Brazil they have tried to remedy this by making a racial grouping called "Brazilian". But it is really a failed attempt to force colorblindness on people. Kids are still teased, because they either aren't white enough or they aren't black enough.

2) Social stigmas, that are not going to go away in any of our lifetimes, sorry. But even in the great racial mixing pot(Brazil) there are the same or more problems than we have here. Blacks are the majority of the population there, but light-skinned people are treated much differently than blacks. Take a look at their presidents.

3) Family issues, I personally know several women who have mixed-race babies. I don't know a single one that is still with him 5 years later. Many times the grandparents object to this relationship, but the kids these days do not want to listen, and many of these relationships are only out of spite. In the end, many times the grandparents are the ones having to pick up the pieces. Which can become a sore issue about how the children should be raised(especially if the two families are very different).

4) The woman once she has her mixed kids has a much harder time finding a "replacement". There aren't too many white men that want to raise black babies with a white woman. So the woman, in many ways, is kind of throwing her life away because she makes a bad decision.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The conservative position from 1967:
"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

Virginia Supreme Court, Loving v. Virginia
Most conservatives don't agree with that statement in 2009, which is proof that even conservative minds can evolve.
This ruling was overturned by the US Supreme Court as unconstitutional in 1967. The Supreme Court was led by a Republican Justice in this ruling.
http://wings.buffalo.edu/law/bclc/web/loving.htm

The Attorney General in opposition of the original decision (ie: against mixed marriages) was.....a Democrat, Robert Y. Button

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
This ruling was overturned by the US Supreme Court as unconstitutional in 1967. The Supreme Court was led by a Republican Justice in this ruling.
Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

The Attorney General in opposition of the original decision (ie: against mixed marriages) was.....a Democrat, Robert Y. Button

You do realize that back during that time we had many more liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats than we have now. Both parties had very distinct wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies