Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Look at our president. Would you want your daughter breeding w/that?

Breeding? I don't ever want to refer to what my children do as breeding.

I want my daughter to find someone to love and spend the rest of her life with when that time comes. If children come from that union, I want them to be healthy and happy.

Aside from that, I have no other wants. It's her life and her pursuit of happiness. I'll support her in every way because that's what families should do.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Benefits of diversity:

-The opportunity to learn and grow as a person through learning about and enjoying cultures different than your own.
How much have you really learned about other cultures because they live here? I have never met a muslim or anyone from Japan, and I know plenty about them. I have had many hispanic friends growing up, and I never learned anything about their culture from just being around them.

The real question is, is it really that important? Do you really "Grow as a person" if you know the culture of the pygmies of Africa? Is that knowledge necessary? Obviously we need more pygmies from Africa and Eskimos to move to my neighborhood so I can "grow" from learning about their culture.

That is the biggest non-sense pretending to be a reason that I have ever heard.

Quote:
-Great music as each culture brings their own music to add to and blend with the music of others.
-Great food as each culture brings their own food that adds to our very diverse choice of dining.
It seems like you are really equating multi-culturalism to more "entertainment". With diversity you get more music, more food, probably more movies, more choices, etc. And I am not going to argue that in relative terms, a single world-wide culture would be boring.

I think you undervalue the ability of ideas to spread without the need for people to spread. Music has always been a big thing in Europe, it used to be the Orchestras under people like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven. There was tons of music from Russia, Germany, France, and pretty much everywhere in-between.

Can food not also spread without the need for people to spread? This is a capitalist country, if it is good, you'll be able to sell it.

Quote:
-My beloved grandson.
I think you are looking at things through the narrow eyes of "if there was no diversity I would lose my music, my food, my grandson, or even myself". But it isn't that the lack of diversity would have just stripped those things away. They would have never existed, you wouldn't have even known your grandson, you wouldn't have known a lot of people. The whole course of history would be altered. How can you miss something you never had?

There are millions of children aborted in this country every year, and every single one of them would change the course of human history in ways you cannot imagine. They would have gone to school and had friends, they would have had a job, possibly created some new product, they may have become the president, they may have been a professor and taught future generations, they probably would have gotten married and had children, and then their children would have made an impact on the world, and so on and so forth. But abortion is always pushed as almost a "good thing".

No one misses those aborted children, because they never existed in the first place. What if you had never been born? Almost every person alive was an "accident". The world would move along without you.

When we make decisions, we shouldn't look at them through our own eyes, but the eyes of the whole. And ask ourself, would life be better or worse with or without this or this. But first we must quantify what makes life better or worse.

I find safety, peace, prosperity, and happiness to be pretty important.

So is it safer because we have diversity? I don't believe anyone could possibly in a million years believe that diversity makes us safer. There wouldn't be anti-discrimination laws, hate-crime legislation, the constant talk of the ghetto blacks and their ridiculous crime rates, especially the massive interracial crime that most of the time, is racially motivated. Yet, practically any crime a white does against a black is considered a hate-crime, but black crimes against whites are rarely considered a hate-crime.

Is this country more peaceful because of diversity? Well the country is more divided today than it has been since probably the civil-rights movement, and before the civil-rights movement it is the most divided since the Civil-war. All three of these major divisions have practically everything to do with the problems of diversity. If we didn't allow muslims into this country, there wouldn't have been a 9/11. There also wouldn't be the constant terrorist plots within this country, there wouldn't be the fort hood shooting. This country is in an almost constant state of war or conflict and military build-up, with 700+ military bases across the world. We have people constantly talking about secession or nullification of federal laws, we have people complaining about "welfare queens" that are almost always portrayed as a black or hispanic woman. This country doesn't seem that peaceful to me. Unless we can say "war is peace".

Is this country more prosperous because of diversity? This one is arguable. The greatest economic boom in this country was right after World War II and lasted until the Vietnam era, which coincides with the civil-rights era. I would agree that a certain amount of very well-educated, mostly Asian immigrants that came into this country were good for our prosperity. But I don't think this country would have been much different without them. Pretty much the other 99.9% of immigration has been extremely bad for this country, and a huge burden on our social system, ans created huge swaths of poverty and crime. Things like Affirmative action has utterly destroyed productivity and efficiency. It has allowed unqualified and incapable people of holding positions in everything from government, to private-industry. Our country as a whole would be far better off without Affirmative-action.

And lastly, are we happier because of our diversity? Well, from the list of Happiest countries in the world, where the happiest countries are the exact opposite of diverse. No one could possibly believe that diversity creates happiness, because everyone knows it creates tension, anger, and division.

Stalking the Wild Taboo - Jared Taylor - The Myth of Diversity

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Well Red, just because you lack the capacity of learning and growing doesn't mean that the rest of us can not do so. I have learned so much from people of many cultures. I have close friends who are African-American, Chinese, Mexican, Jewish, Columbian, Jamican, Korean, Irish, English, Canadian, German, and Peruvian. I have spent time in their homes as they have in mine. We have talked together, laughed together, cried together, and shared our lives. If you can do that and NOT learn from the culture of the people with whom you do it then the lack is on your part.

And, again I remind you, that countries WITHOUT diversity are not known for their "peace and security." Ireland, countries in Africa, Germany, Russia, the Czech Republic, Iraq, Iran, come immediately to mind.

You are welcomed to live your isolated little life if you choose. But I know that my life has been richer, fuller, and much better because of the diversity of people that have been a part of it.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well Red, just because you lack the capacity of learning and growing doesn't mean that the rest of us can not do so. I have learned so much from people of many cultures. I have close friends who are African-American, Chinese, Mexican, Jewish, Columbian, Jamican, Korean, Irish, English, Canadian, German, and Peruvian. I have spent time in their homes as they have in mine. We have talked together, laughed together, cried together, and shared our lives. If you can do that and NOT learn from the culture of the people with whom you do it then the lack is on your part.

And, again I remind you, that countries WITHOUT diversity are not known for their "peace and security." Ireland, countries in Africa, Germany, Russia, the Czech Republic, Iraq, Iran, come immediately to mind.

You are welcomed to live your isolated little life if you choose. But I know that my life has been richer, fuller, and much better because of the diversity of people that have been a part of it.
What is there to learn? I already know more about those cultures than probably you even know. All the information I could ever desire is available for me to read about, and I have.

Ireland is not a country without diversity, in fact, diversity is what created the problems in Ireland. The same can be said for every single place on your list. I am not entirely sure what you mean by the Czech-republic, I think you mean Yugoslavia.

Ireland = Catholics fighting the Protestants, diversity is a major problem in Ireland.

Germany = did not like diversity at all, and was trying to eradicate diversity from the planet.

Russia = fighting against diversity with the chechnyans(muslims), and the Soviet Union tried to block all diversity by limiting religion, culture, and all other freedoms to limit the divisive effects of diversity.

Iraq = fighting diversity through the constant struggle between the Kurds(autonomous area), the Sunni's(Saddam's group), and the shiites.

Iran = hates the jews, and would love nothing more than see them eradicated off the face of the earth. Nukes anyone?

Yugoslavia = split along ethnic and religious lines(they don't like diversity either). Caused the Bosnian genocide.

Africa = Almost all of the south african countries are in disarray from European rule. South Africans have been murdering white farmers, Rhodesia was a white government overthrown by black rebels. And there has been constant Genocides in Africa, from Darfur to Rwanda to Uganda, and everywhere in-between.

"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell

If this country collapses, it will undoubtedly be split along the lines drawn by diversity. And at some point this country will collapse. It is inevitable.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What is there to learn? I already know more about those cultures than probably you even know. All the information I could ever desire is available for me to read about, and I have.

Ireland is not a country without diversity, in fact, diversity is what created the problems in Ireland. The same can be said for every single place on your list. I am not entirely sure what you mean by the Czech-republic, I think you mean Yugoslavia.

Ireland = Catholics fighting the Protestants, diversity is a major problem in Ireland.

Germany = did not like diversity at all, and was trying to eradicate diversity from the planet.

Russia = fighting against diversity with the chechnyans(muslims), and the Soviet Union tried to block all diversity by limiting religion, culture, and all other freedoms to limit the divisive effects of diversity.

Iraq = fighting diversity through the constant struggle between the Kurds(autonomous area), the Sunni's(Saddam's group), and the shiites.

Iran = hates the jews, and would love nothing more than see them eradicated off the face of the earth. Nukes anyone?

Yugoslavia = split along ethnic and religious lines(they don't like diversity either). Caused the Bosnian genocide.

Africa = Almost all of the south african countries are in disarray from European rule. South Africans have been murdering white farmers, Rhodesia was a white government overthrown by black rebels. And there has been constant Genocides in Africa, from Darfur to Rwanda to Uganda, and everywhere in-between.

"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell

If this country collapses, it will undoubtedly be split along the lines drawn by diversity. And at some point this country will collapse.
The reasons those countries have/ had problems is not because of diversity, but because of HATE MONGERING BIGOTS. HATE MONGERING BIGOTS causes problems, NOT diversity.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The reasons those countries have/ had problems is not because of diversity, but because of HATE MONGERING BIGOTS. HATE MONGERING BIGOTS causes problems, NOT diversity.
That is an easy excuse to make. You could say the same thing since the beginning of mankind. The only reason we ever had any war was because of hate-mongering bigots. The only reason we had slavery was because of hate-mongering bigots. OMG everyone should hate those evil hate-mongering bigots.

If it wasn't for hate-mongering bigots this country probably wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the fact that whites thought they were better than everyone else, and we should tell people how to live their lives. We wouldn't have conquered pretty much all of the world at one time. And we wouldn't have 700+ foreign military bases all over the world right now.

Bigotry is the natural order of the world. Because bigotry originates in "pride". Every group is proud of themselves, and they want to elevate themselves above others. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians. They may in public talk about equality, but in private they believe that their people, their country, their culture, their religion is superior to all others.

America is built on this idea of our "exceptionalism". The idea of diversity is just another attempt to try to prove to everyone else that we are better than them, because we think we are "tolerant". But this is obviously untrue. Racism is not institutionalized, babies are racist. Because people seek out people like themselves, it is part of you being a human being, it is in your DNA.

You can try to suppress your natural instincts, just like you can suppress your sexual desire, you can suppress their violent tendencies, you can suppress almost anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Just because you walk around talking about how you are celibate, and maybe some people will think how wonderful you are because you have "overcome your urges". But that doesn't mean that that is normal, that doesn't mean it still isn't hiding inside of you.

More than 90% of Americans believe Racism is a problem, but only 10% admit that they are racist.

"It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
That is an easy excuse to make. You could say the same thing since the beginning of mankind. The only reason we ever had any war was because of hate-mongering bigots. The only reason we had slavery was because of hate-mongering bigots. OMG everyone should hate those evil hate-mongering bigots.

If it wasn't for hate-mongering bigots this country probably wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the fact that whites thought they were better than everyone else, and we should tell people how to live their lives. We wouldn't have conquered pretty much all of North America. We wouldn't have 700+ foreign military bases all over the world.

Bigotry is the natural order of the world. Because bigotry originates in "pride". Every group is proud of themselves, and they want to elevate themselves above others. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians. They may in public talk about equality, but in private they believe that their people, their country, their culture, their religion is superior to all others.

America is built on this idea of our "exceptionalism". The idea of diversity is just another attempt to try to prove to everyone else that we are better than them, because we are tolerant. But this is obviously untrue. Racism is not institutionalized, babies are racist. Because people seek out people like themselves, it is part of you being a human being, it is in your DNA.

You can try to suppress your natural instincts, just like you can suppress your sexual desire, they can suppress their violent tendencies, they can suppress almost anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Just because you walk around talking about how you are celibate, and maybe some people will think how wonderful you are because you have "overcome your urges". But that doesn't mean that that is normal, that doesn't mean it still isn't hiding inside of you.

More than 90% of Americans believe Racism is a problem, but only 10% admit that they are racist.

"It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
— Thomas Sowell
You're missing the point. Even in societies that are not very diverse, people will create diversity. Because we are all individuals. So even if you have an entire society of blue-eyed, blonde, right-handed, thin, non-smoking, Episcopalians, the fact is that some of these people are going to like salmon, and some won't. And before you know it, the salmon-haters will be lobbying to reduce the amount of salmon available, and the salmon-lovers will be buying scent-sprays to mask the odor of salmon, and there will be black markets selling wild North Pacific salmon. And the salmon-haters will start boycotting stores selling salmon, etc, etc.

Racism is a problem, but race isn't. We are human beings, we want to fit in, but we also want to individuate ourselves. We each define ourselves, and when we define ourselves, it's to distinguish ourselves from others. It's an instinct we all have, to associate ourselves with some people and to disassociate ourselves from others. And there's nothing wrong with that, until we start valuing the disassociations more than the associations.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:

If it wasn't for hate-mongering bigots this country probably wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the fact that whites thought they were better than everyone else, and we should tell people how to live their lives. We wouldn't have conquered pretty much all of the world at one time. And we wouldn't have 700+ foreign military bases all over the world right now.

America is built on this idea of our "exceptionalism". The idea of diversity is just another attempt to try to prove to everyone else that we are better than them, because we think we are "tolerant". But this is obviously untrue. Racism is not institutionalized, babies are racist. Because people seek out people like themselves, it is part of you being a human being, it is in your DNA.

You can try to suppress your natural instincts, just like you can suppress your sexual desire, you can suppress their violent tendencies, you can suppress almost anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Just because you walk around talking about how you are celibate, and maybe some people will think how wonderful you are because you have "overcome your urges". But that doesn't mean that that is normal, that doesn't mean it still isn't hiding inside of you.

— Thomas Sowell
Sorry, but its not in my natural instincts to be ignorant, to be full of hate and rage at other people who are different. Now, obviously that is who you are, but luckily most people aren't hate mongering bigots.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're missing the point. Even in societies that are not very diverse, people will create diversity. Because we are all individuals. So even if you have an entire society of blue-eyed, blonde, right-handed, thin, non-smoking, Episcopalians, the fact is that some of these people are going to like salmon, and some won't. And before you know it, the salmon-haters will be lobbying to reduce the amount of salmon available, and the salmon-lovers will be buying scent-sprays to mask the odor of salmon, and there will be black markets selling wild North Pacific salmon. And the salmon-haters will start boycotting stores selling salmon, etc, etc.

Racism is a problem, but race isn't. We are human beings, we want to fit in, but we also want to individuate ourselves. We each define ourselves, and when we define ourselves, it's to distinguish ourselves from others. It's an instinct we all have, to associate ourselves with some people and to disassociate ourselves from others. And there's nothing wrong with that, until we start valuing the disassociations more than the associations.
You are talking about preferences, not diversity. Every single person will have preferences, even in a family there will be huge differences in preferences. I don't see my sister as not being my sister because she doesn't like meat.

Where the problem comes in is where human nature causes you to mentally see others as being different. Do you think Americans are the same as Iraqi's? Do you think you are the same as an Egyptian? Do most Americans see themselves as the same as Haitians? Do you think Islam is the same as Christianity? And the same as Hinduism? Do you think the German culture can survive as a minority in their own country?

Where human nature comes in, is in its own self-preservation. That is why religion, culture, and race are the biggest problems when it comes to diversity, because diversity will undoubtedly destroy or change all of these things.

And there is a lot of worry from people who believe that blondes and redheads will be extinct within the next hundred years. Along with blue eyes and green eyes. Because of our desire for diversity, we will actually be destroying diversity.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Benefits of diversity:

-The opportunity to learn and grow as a person through learning about and enjoying cultures different than your own.

-Great music as each culture brings their own music to add to and blend with the music of others.

-Great food as each culture brings their own food that adds to our very diverse choice of dining.

-My beloved grandson.
Add to that, the friends that I have made, my "citizen of the world" outlook on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies