Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
You're kidding!
The enemy of the ignorant maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Not to worry, when the polar ice caps finish melting, we'll all have more water than we need!
They arent melting now. There was a bad sensor that wasnt working. They are blaming it on a sensor drift that led to an underestimation of Arctic ice extent by as much as 500,000 square kilometers. Thus far,sea ice extent in 2009 is tracking ahead of 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, so the predictions of an ice-free north pole might be premature."

IJIS Web Site

Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe because stuff like the Moonie Times para you quoted is the only kind of stuff you read and listen to...?

Then cheer up, you're right where you're supposed to be.
Go look up the bill. That word is missing. On purpose ? I don't know but it's not there.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Prove that mankind is causing it. If North American cooling is regional, so is your supposed warming in the Arctic.
Oh boy. Well, I cannot prove anything, I am not a scientist, and even if I were and presented you with PROOF, you'd probably launch a personal attack on me (credibilty) and try to convince others I was lying.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe because stuff like the Moonie Times para you quoted is the only kind of stuff you read and listen to...?

Then cheer up, you're right where you're supposed to be.
Gotta love it. People who post to bash the URL and not one comment on the content.
Is Huffpost the only valid URL to you ?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gotta love it. People who post to bash the URL and not one comment on the content.
Is Huffpost the only valid URL to you ?
Tex, this doesn't concern water quality, but why do you think the EPA banned the use of R-12 and other refrigerants in the USA? Now only highly qualified individuals are permitted to handle the stuff. It's been proven that chloroflourocarbons deplete the stratosphere. I'm willing to give sceintists, biologists and enviromentalists the benefit of the doubt.

People who do not know, the average citizen, depend on environmental studies to help promote life as we know it on planet earth.

I would suggest the complainers who think some of these studies are fake or false, step back for awhile, do some research, and then come back with an educated opinion, instead of spouting from the hip.

Man is earth's worst enemy.

Here's just one nail in earth's casket:

http://www.cleanupge.org/gemisdeeds.html

Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Going back to the original question, this happens every time the Clean Water Act (or any legislation dealing with waterways) comes up. The word navigable is taken out and is later reinserted.
The reality is that the Corps of Engineers can't manage what they have on their plate now. Some states, such as MD, have stepped up enforcement of state laws and are hammering both individuals and local governments. The town where I live just paid an $800 fine for a 23 gallon sewage spill caused by someone putting a basketball into a manhole which then blocked the line.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Going back to the original question, this happens every time the Clean Water Act (or any legislation dealing with waterways) comes up. The word navigable is taken out and is later reinserted.
The reality is that the Corps of Engineers can't manage what they have on their plate now. Some states, such as MD, have stepped up enforcement of state laws and are hammering both individuals and local governments. The town where I live just paid an $800 fine for a 23 gallon sewage spill caused by someone putting a basketball into a manhole which then blocked the line.
I would have hated to have been the person that had to remove the basketball.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Tex, this doesn't concern water quality, but why do you think the EPA banned the use of R-12 and other refrigerants in the USA? Now only highly qualified individuals are permitted to handle the stuff. It's been proven that chloroflourocarbons deplete the stratosphere. I'm willing to give sceintists, biologists and enviromentalists the benefit of the doubt.

People who do not know, the average citizen, depend on environmental studies to help promote life as we know it on planet earth.

I would suggest the complainers who think some of these studies are fake or false, step back for awhile, do some research, and then come back with an educated opinion, instead of spouting from the hip.

Man is earth's worst enemy.

Here's just one nail in earth's casket:

CleanUpGE.org | GE Misdeeds
Knowing the EPA and their methods (dealing with SHS classification and other subjects such as DDT which are based on sloppy science to which for instance DDT was shown to be harmless after it was banned and a 20 year chemical study was completed), I am not sure the science that claims "chloroflourocarbons deplete the stratosphere" are actually as strong as they were claimed. I remember the debates during that time and there was a lot of evidence that contested this claims as well (similar to that of the AGW issue), yet like now, it was strongly political and that politics and similar tactics used with AGW prevailed.

Do some research into the topic, there are a lot of opposing views and scientific study to which explain the ozone depletion issue. I honestly think that the issue suffers from the same politically influenced science that we are experiencing here, the benefit here is that the AGW position has been caught with their pants down which makes political spin a bit more difficult to achieve. None the less, political position is dependent on getting people to believe you are right, not proving to them that you are.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Will it ever end? I am seriously starting to believe that the Democratic Party is becoming and enemy of the people.
I wonder who built the 1000s of dams and water tanks that supply clean water to all the cities in the US.

I bet it was a private company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies