Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I could try teaching a classroom full of many students but if not ONE wants to learn....I cannot do anything even if I am the most educated person.
I was about to comment, I would not want to be teaching in one of those Detroit schools and have my performance and pay based on their test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Not angry with anyone. I just place blame more on the parents and their inept way of raising their animal children.
Was that really necessary? Shame on you.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,168 times
Hi I'm an educator, and from what I've noticed the biggest obstacles to a good education for all is standardized testing and large classrooms with not enough teachers. This shouldn't even be argued but the corporations who publish the books and the tests have all of you believing that American public schools suck because they fail at testing. Testing on what? nothing with substance I can assure you that. A multiple choice test can not evaluate a person's technical abilities or creative intellect. Further the tests require teachers to abandon their passions to teach what the test wants and not the educator. There is so much information in the world of all fields what to test what not to test is all politics.

What we need is to adjust our thinking. We need to throw out our philosophy on grading the students and trying to show show show what education is doing. Instead we should allow the teachers to supply us that naturally with students who we notice are learning by our interactions with them. This of course would require more teachers and ones who are well educated. I believe we desperately need to do this with our college institutions as well. We need teachers who have been through a rigorous education that is a peer reviewed education and not one that emphasizes on testing. And we do all this with money. Money we get from legalizing drugs. The war on drugs does not prevent drugs and it fuels the cartels and crime in America. After Portugal decriminalized drugs in 2002 they had 50% reduction in drug use overall, and even greater reduction in drug related deaths and crime. The youth in Portugal have been especially effected with over 50% reductions in use at ages below 18 in all drugs. Every year since decriminalization they have had greater reductions in use. When you lift the stigmatization of the problem you allow recovery. This is essential if we ever want to educate our society better we need to move from the overdosed drugged out depression we are in and that starts with the logical end to the war on drugs. The money we have invested in a failing prison system with excessively high recidivism rates mostly populated by non-violent drug crimes could pay for it all, and we would still have the military and intelligence savings to pay off our national debt. The only thing stopping us is ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies