Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You cannot usually buy maternity insurance if you are already pregnant.
I did. 3 times!

I was told it was not a pre-existing condition and the rationale behind it is that a pregnancy ends, eventually. Trust me, I was worried when we had to switch insurance plans (and we don't have great ones, ever), but each time it worked out and each time I was told it was not considered a pre-existing condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 PM

433 posts, read 261,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
You should really make sure that the model you're telling us to look at isn't broke and hemorrhaging money.

it's not broke and it has the highest satidfaction of any insurance.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think when these people, like the one you responded to, start referencing Medicare and Medicaid as examples of "government doing it right", it illustrates just how completely ignorant about the subject. Both programs are rife with billions of dollars in fraud and waste, and trillions of dollars in unfunded liabilities, and yet they think those programs are examples of well run government programs.

as opossed to the squeaky clean private industry right? the ones that deny care to make profits. Just everything else this is political. "these people" give me a break. Sure they have issues that need to be addressed but they run a hell of alot more effecient than private insurance does.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Excellent Post, Kev!

And.....might I add, the end result would be the govt. having staked claim on nearly a full 40% of our entire economy.

The Dems/Libs/Progressies.....are just too stupid to see it all for the powerplay that THIS administration TRULY desires to have OVER ALL OF US!

ANY form of HC "reform" proposed by the Dems and Obama.......will NOT help the population, overall......drastically hurt us more and control us more. Rationed HC or NO HC due to possible disqualification because of ANYTHING the GOVT. sees fit to DENY you coverage....they surely, will!
Health care WOULD surely come down to 3rd world status and soon enough.....we would ALL be longing for the good old days again......you KNOW, Dems....those days when so many uninsured Americans were dying in the streets and you could smell their rotting corpses....EVERYWHERE!??
Your biggest "reason" for supporting this "reform", right?
Cost?
No concern to you either.
All those folks you claim who are just DYING in the streets, all over the place....because some cold, greedy hospital staff denied them any health care whatsoever....because they are poor and un-insured?
OK.

This admin. and this Congress and the Dems......have definitely hit an all time LOW........with their Chicago-style thugster, strong-arm politics....they brought to DC and the WH!
PUNKS......gangbangers with political clout and standing....nothing more.

Doesn't SOMEONE run thorough background checks on those who seek office?
I guess not.
Background checks must not apply to those we ELECT, PAY and ENTRUST to legislate our lives?

The Dems WILL suffer for a very long time when the dust finally settles......with or without any HC bill getting passed.
But....."something" WILL likely get passed since it IS BO's mission and his baby that he so badly wants to force on us.....no matter what.
And....the end result will surely seal the deal on the length of his stay in the White House.

And I thought the Pubs. really blew it after 2 terms of Bushwacker!
Nope.....the Dems are in the process of sinking their OWN ship and it's funny.....just pathetically so.
They (dems) better get used to the thought of the GOP taking BACK.....full control of the WH, Senate and Congress for the next 100 years or so?
Good going, you guys.
NOW......we NEED a third party more than ever.....and term limits on ALL politicians....at every level of govt!

My hope for 2010:
I HOPE ANY bill they come up with at this point......FALLS DEAD on the Senate floor and the Dems / Congress get what they badly deserve next November.......DA BOOT!
BO.....adios in '12.
One Big Ass Mistake Again

yeah this administration get your head out of where it doesn't belong. Health care reform has been being discussed and attempted for 40 years.

I find it funny you are so confident when your best option is sarah i quit palin.

political idiots can't even see that the program would help them.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
it's not broke and it has the highest satidfaction of any insurance.
Proof that many of the supporters don't bother actually researching what's going on before they blindly support something.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
as opossed to the squeaky clean private industry right? the ones that deny care to make profits. Just everything else this is political. "these people" give me a break. Sure they have issues that need to be addressed but they run a hell of alot more effecient than private insurance does.
My point is not that our current system is perfect, my point is that nothing these fools in your party are doing is aimed at lowering costs so we can afford health care.

Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP, none of these programs have done anything to lower health care costs, in fact the first two are deeply in the red with billions in fraud and trillions in unfunded liabilities, which means they are not "alot more effecient than private insurance".

If private health insurers are inefficient and go in the red, they cease to exist. When government programs are inefficient and go in the red, senators like Reid want to raise taxes and expand them to cover down to age 55.

Do you want to lower the high costs of health care or not? Then lets address the systemic issues that are causing health care costs to go up. Expanding Medicare to age 55 will only result in lower payments to health care providers, its like making a law to stop tipping at restaurants, it will not lower prices at restaurants, it only punishes the waitresses, waiters and kitchen staff.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Proof that many of the supporters don't bother actually researching what's going on before they blindly support something.

prove it broke than..........also disprove a 85%+ satifaction with services.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My point is not that our current system is perfect, my point is that nothing these fools in your party are doing is aimed at lowering costs so we can afford health care.

Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP, none of these programs have done anything to lower health care costs, in fact the first two are deeply in the red with billions in fraud and trillions in unfunded liabilities, which means they are not "alot more effecient than private insurance".

If private health insurers are inefficient and go in the red, they cease to exist. When government programs are inefficient and go in the red, senators like Reid want to raise taxes and expand them to cover down to age 55.

Do you want to lower the high costs of health care or not? Then lets address the systemic issues that are causing health care costs to go up. Expanding Medicare to age 55 will only result in lower payments to health care providers, its like making a law to stop tipping at restaurants, it will not lower prices at restaurants, it only punishes the waitresses, waiters and kitchen staff.

private insurance has 30% overhead medicare has 3%

If private insuraance actually provided care to people you could than talk to me about lowering cost. They deny care to make profits. Period.

I started the thread saying the bill sucked so why are you saying I support it?

What exactly is your prosition for lowering cost of care? As I said before other industrialized countries spend half of what we do per person and everyone has care. Eliminating huge profit margins by insurance reduces cost. I agree that a certain % of health care providers overcharge but there is also a reality of 100k+ student loans and 10 years of education. You can't expect docs to work for 30k a year. You also cannot just eliminate insurance. How would people possibly pay for catastrophic health problems?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Explain to me how the federal government is "hell of alot more effecient than private insurance"?????????

What part of TRILLIONS don't you people understand???

The private industry cannot mismanage of their company and force the American taxpayer to go trillions of dollars in debt to cover them, the federal government is doing exactly that with Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Hell, the democrats wanted to expand Medicare to age 55!

Geoff Colvin, senior editor of Fortune Magazine: "Twice I have asked Alan Greenspan what he considers the greatest threat to the U.S. economy, and both times he has answered immediately with a single word: 'Medicare.'"

Use whatever source you want as a reference, and see what the unfunded liabilities of Medicare are, the answer will always be well over $40 trillion dollars. There is no way on earth any private company could ever approach such inefficiencies, they would cease to exist.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
private insurance has 30% overhead medicare has 3%
TRILLIONS in unfunded liabilities!!

Quote:
I started the thread saying the bill sucked so why are you saying I support it?
I said you supported the bill??

Quote:
What exactly is your prosition for lowering cost of care?
TORT reform

Lower costs for medical malpractice insurance

Allow health insurance to cross state lines

Lower college tuition

Get government out of programs where they end up controlling health care

Lower the costs for developing new drugs and medicines, reduce the time it takes to approve them

I do not claim to be an expert on how to lower health care costs, but the simplicity of just allowing the status quo to go unhindered, and swallowing the high costs in health care with a government program results in trillions in unfunded liabilities, eg... Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies