U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 AM

195 posts, read 270,403 times

Advertisements

Almost everyone I know are spending lots of money this month, in the worst economy since the Great Depression, to buy gifts for their adult relatives and friends. They get them selves all worked up and many hate every moment of it. They spend money they do not have and load up their credit card, all due to social expectations.

I say everyone should stop purchasing gifts for adults during the Holiday Season. Instead, they should use the money for more practical things or devote themselves to more charity and giving their time. If people would devote the just half doing volunteer-- work instead of going to the shopping mall and buying adult relatives and friends gifts they really do not want or need, everyone would be better off.

I encourage everyone to stop giving material goods gifts to adult relatives or friends during the Holiday Season. And devote the time instead to charity, giving time to relatives, and helping the young people in the family with your expertise, etc.

Do you agree?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,604,938 times
If you don't want to give Christmas gifts to adult relatives and friends, don't.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM

195 posts, read 270,403 times
Default Lets debate!

I was hoping to start a debate about the pros and cons of exchanging Holiday Gifts with adult relatives and friends. Yes, I know we can all decide to do what we feel is best but this is a debate board and would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
If you don't want to give Christmas gifts to adult relatives and friends, don't.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 3,929,272 times
If someone has the money to give gifts to adult friends and relatives and it makes them feel good, then they should. If they don't have the money, or if it don't make them feel good they shouldn't.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,604,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
I was hoping to start a debate about the pros and cons of exchanging Holiday Gifts with adult relatives and friends. Yes, I know we can all decide to do what we feel is best but this is a debate board and would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions.
Well... I gave you my opinion. Nobody should be coerced, or feel obligated to give "just because." That, after all, moves it from being gift giving to extortion - and it doesn't matter whether the gifts are for kids or adults.

Personally, I like giving gifts. But my wife & I don't spend a lot of money to do so, and we certainly don't use credit cards.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,962,746 times
This is the most unpatriotic OP I've ever seen. What are you trying to do---destroy the economy?

If everybody used the money instead to pay their credit card minimum balance on time, it would cost the credit card issuers billions in late fees and interest rate hikes, and bring that whole industry to its knees. The taxpayers would have to bail them out.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 AM

985 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Do what you want OP, but I like getting gifts for my close adult friends.

If the people you know don't want to get gifts for people then encourage them not to. But what does that have to do with the rest of us? Just because people you know either can't or don't want to give gifts it doesn't make wrong for those of us who can and do want to give gifts, to do so.

And, as jtur88 mentioned, Xmas spending is important for our economy.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post

And, as jtur88 mentioned, Xmas spending is important for our economy.
I guess I forgot to use the "dripping with sarcasm" emoticon.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM

985 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess I forgot to use the "dripping with sarcasm" emoticon.
So spending money isn't important to the economy?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 AM

11,446 posts, read 15,626,569 times
Christmas is the most pretentious time of the year. It's a time of stress, frayed nerves, and putting one's finances into debt.
For many people the only motivation to give gifts is obligations, not fondness.
I consider myself very fortunate; I give no gifts and receive no gifts. The ideal situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies