Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Having seen all of the above in various threads on C-D, sorry to tell you but these prove just the opposite of the original assertion. It was originally asserted that "lefties are too ready to sue to keep the word Christmas out of schools" or words to that effect. Each of the cases you've linked to here are actually the Christians filing suit to FORCE the acceptance of the word Christmas!
who do you think is keeping the word out of the programs the left or right?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM

921 posts, read 1,131,845 times
I wish people Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays.
No one has ever gotten offended when I said Merry Christmas.

It's my tradition & I'm sticking with it.

As for another person's wishes, if I greet them with Merry Christmas & they ask me not to say that anymore, I'll respect their wishes just as I would want them to respect mine.

No one should be judged on Whether or not they use Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.
It all comes from the heart & the way the person accepts the greeting shows what type of heart & beliefs they have.

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That isn't what she was referring to. It is this whole "you have to say Merry Christmas" to me because it is the ONLY acceptable greeting. That's what she is calling egocentric.
So you agree if i choose to say merry Christmas to you and i choose to believe it my acceptable greeting to wish others well I am egocentric because i choose this greeting

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Do you really want acknowledgment from a store that will sell a blow up of Smokey the Bear dressed in an elf suit waving his hands, sitting atop a red fire truck with the words "Merry Christmas" written on the side of it?
Where can I buy one of these?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
The last time I checked America is mostly a Christian country and Christmas has been a national celebration since this nation's founding. If immigrants are offended by this, then why do they come here?

If I were to immigrate to Isreal, I wouldn't complain about someone telling me "Happy Hanukkah". Nor would I be offended if I immigrated to a Muslim country and someone told me "Happy Ramadan".

America was created by Europeans. And Europeans have made up most of the population of this nation ever since. If you don't like the fact that this country has customs based on Western Civilization and Christianity, then please leave. Don't stay here and make things miserable for the majority population.

Now I am just waiting for someone to say "well the Native Americans were here first". What I have to say to that in response is that this continent was wildnerness when they lived here. Immigrants didn't have any interest in coming here until Europeans carved a great nation out of an uncivilized continent. So your argument will have no validity to this topic.
Its just something that the easily offended use to become easily offended about.

Actually, saying happy holidays is a way of lumping happy new year and merry Christmas, or happy new year and happy Hanukkah, into a single parting phrase.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Do you really want acknowledgment from a store that will sell a blow up of Smokey the Bear dressed in an elf suit waving his hands, sitting atop a red fire truck with the words "Merry Christmas" written on the side of it?
For me, I like my gifts to have some sort of Christmas meaning to it so it would be nice if retailers could market some of their products towards their Christian customers as they do to their secular customers. Since Christmas represents a lion's share of their profits, is that really too much to ask? It is so hard to find Christmas cards that are not generic. I usually have to alter them before I send them out to people. I finally had to give up on sending cards because I did not have the time to continually shop around for the ones that are actually Christmas cards.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Where can I buy one of these?
It is right next to the blow up of Santa skiing and the Elf that is holding a "On Strike" sign against pointed shoes and having to wear tights.

I don't think I can say the name of the store? here
but it is a BIG store next to parking LOTS.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you agree if i choose to say merry Christmas to you and i choose to believe it my acceptable greeting to wish others well I am egocentric because i choose this greeting

Let's try this again. YOU are not being egocentric by wishing others merry Christmas.

It is when YOU try to FORCE OTHERS to say merry Christmas because YOU will not accept happy holidays or any other greeting - this is where YOU become egocentric and behave un-Christ-like.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Depends on the year...where I'm at, what I feel like celebrating. Not always...

My mother's family is Muslim. My dad's family is Christian and Jewish. I'm atheist. I'm also poor, but like to travel. Christmas is one of those traditions for the children in my family, but once I got around my teens I didn't really care. My parents noticed and didn't really care either.

Why do you ask?

why would you spread false ideas and beliefs just to make your children "feel" comfortable?....if you don't believe in Christ why would you want your children to now have the ability to question where this holiday comes from if you don't believe it benefits yourself?...why would believing in Christ benefit your children if you don't believe in him?....im just saying as they get older one of them might actually research all the reasons of why they got gifts as a kid and then see that Christ had something to do with it and then they would believe what you dont possibly.....would you want that or allow it when they decide to accept Christ if they feel the need to?

'Christ is the Lord and the Savior'

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
who do you think is keeping the word out of the programs the left or right?
You know what? I don't really care. My understanding of the US Constitution tells me that no government agency, whether that be city hall, public schools or the road commission is to support or encourage ANY religion and that includes Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies