U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times

Advertisements

It appears there is a growing trend to censor the internet in some countries, and not necessarily in the most predictable ones.

Are we next?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070518/tc_afp/internetcensorship_070518164906 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,378,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It appears there is a growing trend to censor the internet in some countries, and not necessarily in the most predictable ones.

Are we next?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070518/tc_afp/internetcensorship_070518164906 (broken link)
Well, that's interesting. I am kind of surprised we still in the U.S. have the freedom we do, although part of me thinks the NSA is collecting information for its database (we all know the NSA is surveiling ordinary folk and that Microsoft is "familiar" with this).

At any rate, I predict that if something else big goes down in the U.S., those civil liberties of free expression on the Net will go the way of the dinosaur.

On edit, maybe we don't all know. But things have not been as they were in the past, what with the Patriot Act, etc.

Last edited by movin'on; 05-18-2007 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,109,402 times
Our government doesn't want Internet filters. Free Internet access across the board gives local law enforcement and the FBI access to volumes of information about what we think just by looking at what websites we frequent. It's a great investigative tool for them to have.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,378,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Our government doesn't want Internet filters. Free Internet access across the board gives local law enforcement and the FBI access to volumes of information about what we think just by looking at what websites we frequent. It's a great investigative tool for them to have.
Thank you, exactly what I meant, except I didn't want to seem paranoid. Although now, I realize re-reading my post, I seem more paranoid. Oh well. The gist is that nothing we do anymore is private.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:06 AM

485 posts, read 1,522,662 times
Oops. I guess I should stop making anti-governmental posts then. If you notice that in the near future I'm not making any posts, then would someone please investigate my whereabouts? I'm really not in favor of disappearing without a trace. You may think I'm just being sarcastic, but I'm dead serious.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM

54 posts, read 401,747 times
Although I do not necessarily agree with all views I certainly would find it disturbing if it were removed. Suppose I want to research something, but I can't because a tiny minority of the Internet Moderators didn't like it. Trust me when I say, that is not a road you want to go down.

If your page or comments are removed/censored, you have given the people who made that page or comment the very same right to complain about things you may like, and have their favored content removed as well.

This all boils down to people who think they are doing good by trying to repress things they don't like, and it doesn't work.
The Internet is a wild place, you roll the dice when you click that mouse and that's the price you pay for having a nearly infinite supply of information.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
This all boils down to people who think they are doing good by trying to repress things they don't like, and it doesn't work.
Agree 100%. The good people have to pay the price for the fraction that are using it for nefarious issues...If they start taxing it also, that will not be good IMO- I will start seriously looking into Canada .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies