Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

I believe drug testing should be mandatory for any person that gets checks from the government, even government employees. Up to the President and our elected officials.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:23 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I believe drug testing should be mandatory for any person that gets checks from the government, even government employees. Up to the President and our elected officials.

GL2

I do agree with you somewhat. It's a touchy situation when it comes to individual rights. BUT, as soon as you do go to the govt for help they pretty much have control over your life and are allowed access to your financial, medical, and personal life. I do think less people would be elibible for assistance if this policy was in effect.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

GL2
Last I checked, there are random drug tests done for government employees. For people just collecting a check due to financial difficulty, I do agree with you.

It might sound petty, but when I drove through NYC at 4:30am the night we made our move down south, I remember passing through the upper east side and sighing that people who made no money and didn't work were able to live in NYC, and two people who had good paying jobs with MSEE's couldn't even fathom it. Something is not right with that scenario - yes they live in a ghetto, but why is it a ghetto in the first place... not to mention they are in easy walking distance of some of the best culture in the U.S.A.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Last I checked, there are random drug tests done for government employees. For people just collecting a check due to financial difficulty, I do agree with you.

It might sound petty, but when I drove through NYC at 4:30am the night we made our move down south, I remember passing through the upper east side and sighing that people who made no money and didn't work were able to live in NYC, and two people who had good paying jobs with MSEE's couldn't even fathom it. Something is not right with that scenario - yes they live in a ghetto, but why is it a ghetto in the first place... not to mention they are in easy walking distance of some of the best culture in the U.S.A.
Well... Honestly, you and me - the taxpaying citizens of the United States - are paying for them to live there.

And while I'll admit that I don't have all the answers, there's no denying the fact that there is something fundamentally WRONG with paying people not to work, paying people to live for free, and then paying for the crimes they commit because they have nothing to lose!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:20 PM

240 posts, read 537,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well... Honestly, you and me - the taxpaying citizens of the United States - are paying for them to live there.

And while I'll admit that I don't have all the answers, there's no denying the fact that there is something fundamentally WRONG with paying people not to work, paying people to live for free, and then paying for the crimes they commit because they have nothing to lose!

Free rent, money, food stamps = votes. Some Americans have no morals, ethics, pride, motivation, or ambition. Sadly, too many couldn't live without the "Nanny State."

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
Free rent, money, food stamps = votes. Some Americans have no morals, ethics, pride, motivation, or ambition. Sadly, too many couldn't live without the "Nanny State."
And that is EXACTLY how many of our politicians want it!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,393 times
Quote:
Ugly stereotyping? What ugly stereotyping is that?

Being evicted - if and when a landlord spends several months and several thousand dollars to make it happen - is no punishment at all. The people will simply move to another apartment/house. But before they move, they'll absolutely destroy the place where they're currently living. What's more, if I as a landlord finally get them evicted, I have to pay to move them and pay rent for storage of their crap until they take care of it. Most Section 8 people know this, and take full advantage of it.

And no, it absolutely is NOT worth it to me to have that kind of potential trouble in my house(s). I take extremely good care of my property, and I am not going to have some idiots punch holes in all the walls, tear doors off hinges, break windows and let 4 dogs crap and pee all over everything.

You obviously don't own rental property, or you wouldn't have even asked these questions.

Not true. I would recommend you contact your local housing authority or HUD office before making statements like the highlighted. Tenants that abuse the system and or are evicted from their apartment due to abuse risk being removed from the section 8 program. Their is a panel of folks that would either place the tenant on probation or remove and restrict them completely.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
There seems to be a very clear pattern here:

1. Those who own rental property, and have dealt with Section 8, are very much opposed to it.

2. Those who have absolutely no experience with Section 8 think it's a pretty darned good idea.

My parents have section 8 tenants in two of their buildings in NJ. They use a realty company to 1) run the credit checks also run background checks with the courts to see if the tenant ever had an eviction case or late rental payment case.

Section 8 is a good program if you do the do-diligence in the beginning and investigate the person your renting too, if you ensure that you have a very detailed rental agreement outlining do's and don'ts. If your the type of landlord that just rent all willy nilly without any type of security in place, then you deserve exactly what you get and thats a bad tenant.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:

No one receiving section 8 lives rent free unless they have absolutely no income. Section 8 Tenants pays a percentage of the rent depending on their income. The percentage could be anywhere starting from 30% - 70%. Example: One woman renting an apartment from my parents, her total rent is $1400, her portion is $925 section 8 pays the rest, and by the way this is a tax payer.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times
There should not even be "ghettos". If people actually took care of the place they lived in there would be no problems. I am sick of hearing people scream about how they live in a crap hole well was it always a crap hole? NO! My father grew up in Newark, NJ in the 50's it was an absolutely beautiful place. Look at it now, it is a ***** hole. Homes destroyed and trashed then the people that live there have the balls to complain. Well it was NOT like that BEFORE you moved in. Ugh no sympathy for it at all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies