Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
We are moving when our lease is up, because there is now too much Section 8 here and the crime rate has increased. This isn't some opinion--we SEE cops here more often. We SEE the vandalsim. We SEE the weed bags all over the stairwells. We SEE the human pee in the elevator ()

I hate to generalize, but I'll be looking for places that are strictly no Section 8.
This is the diversity that we are told is our strength. This is the diversity that we are told to be more accepting of.

You want to move (white flight) simply because you do not want to be around black people. You don't want to be around black people simply because of the color of their skin and for no other reason.

You have to accept the crime, the police activity, the vandalism, the drug paraphinalia and the pi$$ in the stairwell or you are racist. Admit it! You just don't like black people.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,267,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This is the diversity that we are told is our strength. This is the diversity that we are told to be more accepting of.

You want to move (white flight) simply because you do not want to be around black people. You don't want to be around black people simply because of the color of their skin and for no other reason.

You have to accept the crime, the police activity, the vandalism, the drug paraphinalia and the pi$$ in the stairwell or you are racist. Admit it! You just don't like black people.

- Reel
Yeah, white people never commit vandalism or other crimes, use drugs, end up with police activity, etc.
Your comment IS racist.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
yeah, white people never commit vandalism or other crimes, use drugs, end up with police activity, etc.
Your comment is racist.
(.) (.)
- ^ -

Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,662,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I'm really between on Section 8 and I'm looking for other people's people input on this situation.

First of all, can someone tell me exactly how this works?

My partner and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. We both work fulltime jobs and we make around $70K between the 2 of us. We have 1 car, no kids..and no credit cards. So, at the end of the month we do have disposable money. (A house is planned for the future!)

We are moving when our lease is up, because there is now too much Section 8 here and the crime rate has increased. This isn't some opinion--we SEE cops here more often. We SEE the vandalsim. We SEE the weed bags all over the stairwells. We SEE the human pee in the elevator ()

I hate to generalize, but I'll be looking for places that are strictly no Section 8.

Here's where the debate part is. Why does Section 8 seem to give people so much money? I was looking on Craigslist and this lady posted an ad looking to live in a certain area (where the Section 8 voucher was good for, apparently) and would get $1300 a month for 3 bedrooms. She said she has 2 kids.

I am not against helping people. I am DEF not against helping children--but when is helping out too much? When does it cross the line?

The reason why I ask this is because..well..why should this lady and her kids live in a better and more comfortable apartment? Let's be honest here--would she NEED 3 bedrooms? I don't think so. (BTW, I am not totally focusing on this one chick, as it can refer to anyone). You can answer and say "Well, she HAS 2 kids!"..but do the kids REALLY NEED their own room?

Shouldn't help like this.. be minimal? People need a roof over their heads. They don't NEED to live in gorgeous homes/apartments. Why is there such a feeling/(demand?) of entitlement?

I just think that people whom are in crappy situations should not be living better than people whom are in better situations. How is this fair?

I'm curious as if other people share a similar view, or if I am totally out in the dark on this one.
Welfare has become a lifestyle because the government is paying single mothers to have many babies and welfare queens have a higher standard of living than do working people.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should look up the laws and do your own research before you come to an internet board for discussion.
Yeah, all those poor people should be on the streets; who cares if they don't have anywhere to live.
Screw them, you're having a tough time.
How about offering them sterilization in exchange for welfare checks? The problem is that all kinds of contraception is available but the welfare crowd has caught onto the fact that the more fatherless babies they produce, the bigger their government handouts are.

It's one thing to help poor people but the poor people are making no effort themselves.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, white people never commit vandalism or other crimes, use drugs, end up with police activity, etc.
Your comment IS racist.
Here comes the "not all blacks blah blah. whites bleep bleep too" crowd.

- Reel

Old 12-17-2009, 06:45 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,641,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I believe drug testing should be mandatory for any person that gets checks from the government, even government employees. Up to the President and our elected officials.

GL2
Does that include my tax refund check? What about Social Security checks? What about those of us, which probably includes most of the posters here, who get federal housing subsidies in the form of mortgage interest and property tax deductions?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,641,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Welfare has become a lifestyle because the government is paying single mothers to have many babies and welfare queens have a higher standard of living than do working people.
Have you ever lived on public assistance? Do you know what a family on public assistance can expect to receive in your state? Do you know for a fact what the standard of living is of a family receiving public assistance?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Have you ever lived on public assistance? Do you know what a family on public assistance can expect to receive in your state? Do you know for a fact what the standard of living is of a family receiving public assistance?
No I haven't because I believe people should work for a living, and I believe in responsibility of parents to their children. Don't have them if you can't afford them. The welfare class should not be paid to breed, it's a ridiculous policy. It's one thing to have a safety net, first fatherless child is one thing but the second?, third?, fourth? fifth? sixth? Those are not "accidents".

Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
And I do know that the welfare standard of living is significantly higher than that of the working poor.

All housing paid, utilities paid, cell phone provided, food stamps that "pay" for ice cream, soft drinks, even delivered already prepared meals to the door. Free medical care. Add up the average government handouts, subsidies, utility payments, food stamps, WIC, Medicaid and you'll find it's significantly higher than low wages bring in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies