Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,547 times

Advertisements

I say Merry Christmas and I do not write Xmas.....it's CHRISTmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Wow this is really low. To compare ANY religious group to a killing, raping, murdering terrorists group is down right wrong. You have really showed your true colors with this thread. You should be very ashamed of yourself.
The taliban are certainly heinous but they are not exactly the same as Al Qaeda. They impose their fundamentalist ideas on the greater society regardless if they are willing to accept it just like the Taliban. Case in point, Evangelicals feel it is their duty to convert people to their faith even if those they are trying to convert see it as a form of harrassment. To Evangelicals it doesn't matter if those they are trying to convert are unwilling, the Evangelicals take a paternalistic approach and feel it's in the best interest of those individuals regardless if they like it. That is the Taliban's approach too

Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Evangelicals and the Taliban are the same; they are trash.
Have you always been hostile to diversity?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why does the American Taliban (Evangelicals) think of our country as a Christian-only state? The only people who I've experienced offended by saying Happy Holidays as opposed to Merry Christmas are these American Taliban aka Evangelicals. Seriously, it's just like the Taliban in Afghanistan. They want to impose their religious views on the entire country. The United States is not the Christian equivalent of Israel or any Islamic nation. We are a country that embraces and recognizes our diversity. What is really offensive is idea that all Christians are all alike. The Evangelicals pretend all Christians are just like them. Christians vary considerably in the practices and beliefs. Evangelical specific Christians make up a minority of the population. To impose their views on non-Evangelical Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Agnostics and Atheists is not what the country embraces. The weakness to their argument lay in the insistence that we are the Christian equivalent of Israel. Israel is established as a Jewish state. We are the United States of America which means we are a country that respect all faiths and races.
I think if you ask people what religion is America most would say Christian. That we are a Christian nation.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Have you always been hostile to diversity?
Name me one Evangelical who cut off any one's head or threaten a Jihad on them. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water to try to prove a point. Most overexaggeration leads to being ignored.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Part of being human (in my opinion) is a desire to protect cultures and traditions. Some people are more protective than others. Unfortunately, these people are more likely to feel threatened by those who are different.

Practicing the principles of liberty and justice for all don't come naturally. We have to work every day to ensure that they continue, and that the rights of the minority are not trampled upon by the majority.
One the classic tricks of oppressors is their attempt to define the majority. Evangelicals love to group all Christians into one. They then proceed to speak on behalf of all Christians as if their dogma is representative of all or even most Christians in the United States which it isn't. It's truly a minority trying to impose their beliefs on the country. Likewise, the Taliban does that as well. They are a fundamentalist group of Muslims that took over a country and imposed their lifestyle and beliefs on the majority feeling it was their right. Most Christians are not offended by the concept of Happy Holidays. They are not radical enough to feel that Christmas is being belittled. It's the Evangelicals who take offense because they feel Christmas is marginalized.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Name me one Evangelical who cut off any one's head or threaten a Jihad on them. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water to try to prove a point. Most overexaggeration leads to being ignored.
How about the Evangelical who killed the OBGYN physician who performed abortions? What about the Evangelicals who murdered homosexuals because they felt gays were evil. Sure, in terms of body count, the Taliban trumps Evangelicals but they share the same philosophy which the imposing of their religious beliefs and lifestyle concepts on the public ie banning stem cell research, banning gay marriage, banning evolution, sex education and other scientific principles from being taught in schools, censorship over music and entertainment...I could go on

Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 AM

608 posts, read 923,674 times
Merry Christmass to all, regardless of your pollitical views! Stop the stupidity, drop your party beliefs (which you only half support anyway), p*ss on the nutty folks from the other side of the world, (and those wierd college professers) and remember where you came from! It won't hurt you, I promise....just say it...Merry Christmass!!!

Last edited by catfishing; 12-15-2009 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I think if you ask people what religion is America most would say Christian. That we are a Christian nation.
Most Americans would say we are a country that believes in the separation of church and state and are not a religious state like Israel regardless if the majority of Americans are Christians.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Merry Christmass to all, regardless of your pollitical views! Stop the stupidity, drop your party beliefs (which you only half support anyway), p*ss on the nutty folks from the other side of the world, (and those wierd college professers) and remember where you came from! It won't hurt you, I promise....just say it...Merry Christmass!!!
Nice try but people are not offended by Merry Christmas. It's the Evangelicals like yourself who got their feelings hurt because the greeter at the mall said Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Don't you guys have anything better to be upset at? Who cares if someone says Happy Holidays. Don't worry Santa will still visit you and leave you with some great fishing bait even if you say Happy Holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies