Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You have to admit that some are just begging for it and It's quite rewarding to be charitable from time to time. I have noticed though that those who beg the most seem to be on YOUR side of the political fence.
I haven't noticed that, myself, but then I'm usually on their side, I guess, and I also tend to take everybody seriously. It's very rare that I try to "tweek" people.

Quote:
Some folks seem to take the opinions of total strangers who can't possibly have any effect whatsoever on their lives way too seriously. These are the one's who go off on enraged tangents and start calling names and slinging insults. For some reason that's a red button that I sometimes can't resist pushing.
Agree. That's why I was glad that I got "punked", as I described earlier. It taught me to not take everybody's posts so seriously.

I've also discovered that I can find someone's posts highly offensive on one topic, but then on another topic, I might be in complete agreement with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,768 times
Quote:
You have to admit that some are just begging for it and It's quite rewarding to be charitable from time to time. I have noticed though that those who beg the most seem to be on YOUR side of the political fence.

Some folks seem to take the opinions of total strangers who can't possibly have any effect whatsoever on their lives way too seriously. These are the one's who go off on enraged tangents and start calling names and slinging insults. For some reason that's a red button that I sometimes can't resist pushing.

Ok, but I don't understand the enragement. I go on this board to learn about people's opinions while expressing my own, not to express my unresolved anger issues!

I try not to push people's buttons. The poor poster's already got high blood pressure and I'd hate to make it worse.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 AM

190 posts, read 210,381 times
Quote:

I completely get it and the temptation is often too hard to resist. It's just, I don't know, without really knowing anything about someone, I've posted some really sarcastic or "button pushing" comment . . . only to see that person talking about their grandkids or something later on.

Oh yeah, I really told grandma on that thread about national determinism (or whatever) -- I am quite alpha.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
Although I might disagree vehemently, I would never lash out, taunt, or be as sarcastic to a person significantly younger or older than I am in person.

How would you know how old the poster is?

I never assume someone who sounds wise is old, or someone who sounds immature is young.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
I completely get it and the temptation is often too hard to resist. It's just, I don't know, without really knowing anything about someone, I've posted some really sarcastic or "button pushing" comment . . . only to see that person talking about their grandkids or something later on.

Oh yeah, I really told grandma on that thread about national determinism (or whatever) -- I am quite alpha.

Ok, but do you actually talk this way in person? Are you sarcastic and pushing buttons when you're in conversation with people? Or do you just do it here?

Because frankly, I write the way I talk. I am the same person. Just curious about others....

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
How would you know how old the poster is?

I never assume someone who sounds wise is old, or someone who sounds immature is young.
That's the thing, you often don't (and I agree, there is not relative "wise" or "immature" way of writing that would necessarily give away a person's age). Sometimes, though, you kind of get an idea.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, but not everyone who posts here is deserving of respect. For instance, posters who are disabused of false notions, but steadfastly continue to spew the same debunked lies don't deserve even a modicum of respect, and I flat out refuse to give them any. I actually think it can be dangerous to respect all opinions, or even to treat all opinions as if they were worthy of reasoned debate. Not all opinions are created equally but oppositely. Some of them are just crap.
I agree.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Ok, but do you actually talk this way in person? Are you sarcastic and pushing buttons when you're in conversation with people? Or do you just do it here?

Because frankly, I write the way I talk. I am the same person. Just curious about others....

It depends greatly. At work, I am very constrained in what I can say and I keep topics like religion and politics out of my work conversations (which is maybe why this is an outlet to vent/be sarcastic/etc). Otherwise (not picking on the elderly as noted), I tend to talk about the same things in the same manner in person (although, by my tone, people can usually tell that my intentions are levity and laughing with them rather than just trying to antagonize them) I like trying to deflate self-important people, though.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:19 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, but not everyone who posts here is deserving of respect. For instance, posters who are disabused of false notions, but steadfastly continue to spew the same debunked lies don't deserve even a modicum of respect, and I flat out refuse to give them any. I actually think it can be dangerous to respect all opinions, or even to treat all opinions as if they were worthy of reasoned debate. Not all opinions are created equally but oppositely. Some of them are just crap.

There are no bad or good opinions by the very definition of the word: "1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal." Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

I do see a problem, however, when the OP says, for example, "Global warming is a money making scam" and the response is "You're a big know-nothing poopyhead!" or "You're a dumb (fill in the blank) listener/watcher/reader." The subsequent opinions should address why global warming is or isn't a money making scam not the character of the messenger.

I have noticed that political analysts (both parties) are sometimes the biggest dodgers. The host will ask them a question like:

"Senator John Doe (D) said he will support an amendment to kill school vouchers for DC's school children. What is your opinion of that? And the Democrat analyst (in this example) will respond, "Senator John Doe favors strong educational programs and most recently came out with an amendment to put more money into bettering school science programs."

It in no way addresses the original question but plucks out the subject of education and allows the analyst to spout their preferred talking point. Both parties do it and I've seen that strategy applied here.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-15-2009 at 03:38 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

There are no bad or good opinions by the very definition of the word: "1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal." Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com
Oh nonsense. It's perfectly within the definition that the personal views, attitudes or appraisals of all of the following are opinions unworthy of respect by any reasonable person. . .

Holocaust deniers
Moon hoaxers
Obama Birthers
9/11 Conspiracy Theorists

The list could go on endlessly.

Put your dictionary away and come into the real world where idiotic opinions abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies