Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,609 times

Advertisements

It's either because they don't know HOW to (out of ignorance)

or because

They are wanting to be nasty and belittling (deliberate & bullying for kicks)

"E - thugs"

It's easier to be a bully online than in real life.

This thread has attracted some nasty people. BTW.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True. I admit I've done it a couple of times just to push buttons. I've also had it done to me on a gay issue. The poster admitted it later on. I laughed. He really had me wound up. It was good to find out that he was just having some "fun" at my expense, and it caused me to lighten up a bit. It was good.
Uh huh. It can be fun to sort of 'program' a discussion. The problem with it, on here, is usually attributable to a lack of inflection and such in writing, as opposed to verbal discussion, which can lead to misunderstanding until clarification is made. It can be exhausting, at times, to keep humor alive, but worth it , in the end.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Just wondering!

Why can't people just argue intelligently and rationally?
Frankly I don't know, but it seems very difficult for many to do just that. Cut and paste quotes out of context, using the most ridiculous and fallacious analogies, outright misstatements of historical facts... I could go on. So, on the rare occasion that an argument being posted is rational and intelligent then they should be treated as such, when they are irrational and unintelligent as too many are, they deserve all the derision that they receive.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly I don't know, but it seems very difficult for many to do just that. Cut and paste quotes out of context, using the most ridiculous and fallacious analogies, outright misstatements of historical facts... I could go on. So, on the rare occasion that an argument being posted is rational and intelligent then they should be treated as such, when they are irrational and unintelligent as too many are, they deserve all the derision that they receive.
Oh yes! The cutting and pasting of quotes, sometimes to the point of completely reorganizing statements, to read in a TOTALLY different way. Annoying is an understatement. However, that practice is a two edged sword. It does nothing to further the offenders argument, quite the opposite, in fact. It can be exhausting, at times, to discuss issues on here, but therein , also, is the fun of it. I look at it as a whetstone for the brain. That metaphor works well. Much depends on the piece being sharpened. In many cases, it would be like trying to whip out an edge on a cube. One just has to be selective in what to put to the stone. Think of it as an exercise in mental geometry.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Just wondering!

Why can't people just argue intelligently and rationally? Is it because they don't know how to?

Sure someone's viewpoint might seem ridiculous to you, if not horrendous, but they deserve respect just the same, even as you argue against it.

Do you think you resort to belittling or putdowns or attacks when you respond to a thread you dislike?
I will be the only person to honestly tell why. It is because everyone has a little troll deep down inside of them.

Waiting for the deniers.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
I have a hard time respecting those who use incorrect spelling and grammar.
You are presenting yourselves as ignorant of your language.

A great number of these people form the right wing wacko contingent (not to be confused with articulate, informed RWers, whom I may or may not agree with).

Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The point is opinions can be idiotic because they're opinions. Your respect is neither sought nor required.
Problem is many try posting their "opinion" as the truth and then attempt to claim that others just too slow to get it. When others attempt to show them that their "opinion" has some flaws several will retort with insults. I agree with Jill in that some here do not deserve any respect. Do not forget some posters here have know each other for years and know very well through past dealings whether the person they are talking to is here for honest debate or are just another troll looking to, as some said "have a little fun". Yes, there are times when a litlle tit for tat can be fun but many of us have also seen what can happen to good discussion boards when that is allowed to go too far, end of dicsussion board.
Casper

Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
How would you know how old the poster is?

I never assume someone who sounds wise is old, or someone who sounds immature is young.
I hate to feed into what you're posting about, b/c I don't like the belittling either, but you sound awfully sanctimonious. Many people on here are very upfront about their ages, or they'll say something like "when I was a kid back in the 50s" or whatever. Some posters will say they're still in high school; I try to give them a little slack. Many will talk about just graduating from HS or college. Especially after you've been on here a while, you know the regulars. If someone has small children, you can figure they're under 45 or so, maybe even younger. And so on.

While one person stated feeling bad about arguing with an elderly person, I sometimes feel bad about arguing with the young ones, who often don't know what they don't know. I have twentysomethings, I know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I will be the only person to honestly tell why. It is because everyone has a little troll deep down inside of them.

Waiting for the deniers.
I agree. Sometimes the 'inner troll' isn't very deep down, either.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
It's a release of every day pressures! DO YOU BUY IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies