Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Why should you care what your employees do in the privacy of their homes as long as they come to work sober and perform well?
If I'm correct, this bill is to legalize it for medical use.. So if you are using it, you have health problems and thereby any employer would care out of concerns over healthcare costs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If I'm correct, this bill is to legalize it for medical use.. So if you are using it, you have health problems and thereby any employer would care out of concerns over healthcare costs..
Yeah, people with diabetes, ADD, glaucoma, pink eye, anxiety, depression, cancer, flu. etc should all be fired for having health problems. Setting yourself up for a lawsuit is good business.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Yeah, people with diabetes, ADD, glaucoma, pink eye, anxiety, depression, cancer, flu. etc should all be fired for having health problems. Setting yourself up for a lawsuit is good business.
California is an at will employment state. I can fire you for being late, because you would raise my healthcare costs too much, or because your hair is blond... Take your pick, none of them would result in a successful lawsuit..

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabete...ping-quiet/pf/ for example..

Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I mentioned the liability an employer has if an injured employee tests positive for drugs or has hurt someone.

I would suspect the insurance premium he pays for liability coverage would be reduced also if he did drug testing. It's purely a business, cost and liability decision.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I mentioned the liability an employer has if an injured employee tests positive for drugs or has hurt someone.

I would suspect the insurance premium he pays for liability coverage would be reduced also if he did drug testing. It's purely a business, cost and liability decision.
Imagine the insurance and legal bills if an employee who tests positive for drugs harms a customer.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I certainly hope it doesn't pass.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I'll fire you today if you got high last month. That's the way it works.
Yup, and that's perfectly fine.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sound kinda like one of them Nazi folks...no fat ppl, no blacks, no brown eyes, no Cancer patients, no ADD, no depression etc....

Cmon now.

Someone is really going to fire me because I have back problems and I choose to legally vape weed instead of popping four Advils every four hours.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
What could they really do?

All the federal government has enough resources to do would be to shut down actual store fronts if they tried to have special weed stores.

but it is a plant that you could easily grow at home. They dont have the resources to bust people growing a handful of plants.
Most of the time all they do is take the weed and edibles (if the store has them). The store is then re-opened if the owner has enough cash to replenish the stock.

What they did in SB for awhile was threaten the landlords with seizing their property if the med mj places weren't closed. What they fail to talk about is the taxes that were collected by the state and feds. Closing these stores certainly hurt the owners of the property (one near my home was vacant for nearly a year on State Street and about 20K square feet) as well as the city (we NEED all the tax income we can get). As I have heard from many owners of these clubs they are good tenants because the owners always get their rent on time and they all have tons of security to keep the area secure inside and out.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They can legalize it, just like alcohol. As a company owner I have a right to demand drug-free employees. When they test positive I will fire them. Alcohol might last a few hours in the system. MaryJane sticks around awhile.
You will want to make sure you spend the money to do hair follicle tests on your employee's. There are things you can buy to make urine tests clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies