Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 AM

153 posts, read 103,433 times

Advertisements

theres 3 legislations so ppl READ them carfully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:02 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,024,486 times
Some advocates for weed decriminalization.

"This November, days after the 40th anniversary of one of the most bizarre prohibitions in US history, California voters will have the opportunity to decriminalize once and for all the possession and recreational usage of what we now know to be a perfectly harmless, naturally-occurring crop. And right as many are to champion this measure finally making its way to a ballot, there is no cause yet to celebrate. A message war is about to heat up, much as it did in the same state in 2008 over same sex marriage. Hopefully, advocates will have learned two truths by now from last time around: the right will lie unabashedly, and elected Democrats will be largely silent and unhelpful.

Why has smoking something in private been judged a criminal activity? And does pot truly meet the requirements of a Schedule I drug?"

And then some.

"Of the 1.8 million drug arrests made last year, 750,000 were for nothing more than possession of a small amount of marijuana. That represents more than 40% of all drug arrests.

Most of those arrested aren't immediately handed a lengthy sentence. But they are handcuffed, taken to jail, put into databases of criminal offenders, and often end up spending days, weeks, months and in some cases years behind bars. These arrests produce permanent criminal records that can disqualify people for jobs, housing, schooling and student loans. Those 750,000, I should note, don't include the untold thousands of people on parole and probation for other minor offenses who land in jail because they fail a drug test for marijuana or are caught with a joint."

Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM

An interesting tidbit on why weed has been so demonized.

"Then the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 made possession or transfer of Cannabis illegal in the U.S. except for certain medical and industrial uses, which were heavily taxed. The legislation began a long process of making Cannabis use illegal altogether. Many historians have examined this sorry chapter in American legislative history, and the dubious evidence for Cannabis addiction and violent behavior used to secure the bill's passage. "Under the Influence: The Disinformation Guide to Drugs" by Preston Peet makes a persuasive case that the Act's real purpose was to quash the hemp industry, making synthetic fibers more valuable for industrialists who owned the patents."

Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM

448 posts, read 533,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
....I'm moving to Cali....

Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,295,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If the polls are correct, it will pass.

California: Where same-sex marriage is not condoned, but getting high is.

Just a fact. Use it as you wish.
I think the polls were skewed by general apathy from most people who figured that Prop 8 was too ridiculous to pass, and increased voting from church-goers at the insistence from their leaders. If put up to a second vote I'm sure it would be crushed.

Marijuana is exactly like alcohol. Nobody cares if you indulge or not, just don't be DUI.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Awesome. Stop wasting tax payer money on pot heads.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
....I'm moving to Cali....
LOL this is one of my concerns, not you but a bunch of potheads running to Ca. and sucking the economy even drier than it already is. If it passes a new drug test must be developed for the weed so a person can be tested for DUI and on the job testing, current tests will not work.
if weed is legal can you grow it? wheres the tax base on that? How would anyone know your buying it from a legal source or not?
Will the Federal Government just drop it's laws agianst weed for Ca.?
Will you be able to smoke in public? Around children?
Theres a lot of things to be concidered it's just not all good.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,912,491 times
Six weeks to go and the government is going into "scare tactic" mode. They continue to lie and distort the truths about marijuana so they can keep making a ton of money at the public's expense. the only people that will come out with the truth about marijuana who worked in the legal system are those who are retired and don't stand to profit from the continued failed war on drugs.

The sad thing is that many uneducated folks fall for these horribly slanted studies and refuse to look at the real research that is being conducted that proves what many know: Marijuana is a non toxic plant that you can't overdose on, has about zero physical addiction issues, is not a gateway drug, and can treat many common ailments with it's usage. It's safer than alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, prescribed medications, and over the counter meds like aspirin. This is coming from a person who does not smoke marijuana.

I'm tired of my tax dollars being used on non violent marijuana users and even more tired of people's lives being ruined so a certain segment can make a ton of cash from it. I hope California voters come out and pass this. I'll be pretty disgusted if it doesn't pass.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 AM

Looks like Big Pharma & the Boozers are looking to crush any nascent competition.

"The California Beer & Beverage Distributors is spending money in the state to oppose a marijuana legalization proposition on the ballot in November, according to records filed with the California Secretary of State. The beer sellers are the first competitors of marijuana to officially enter the debate; backers of the initiative are closely watching liquor and wine dealers and the pharmaceutical industry to see if they enter the debate in the remaining weeks. "

Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Pot heads just might win after all.

"A ballot measure that would legalize marijuana in California won the support Tuesday of the largest union in the state.

Revenue raised by legalizing marijuana could help the state preserve jobs and avoid cuts to health care, home care, education and other services, he added.

Proposition 19 calls for allowing adults to possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Local governments could tax its sales."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies