Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you celebrate Christmas?
As a religious holiday 29 24.79%
As a secular (non-religious) holiday 42 35.90%
As both a religious and a secular holiday 34 29.06%
I don't celebrate Christmas at all 12 10.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

He wasn't even born in 1 AD--because of course calendars weren't organized that way at the time. But I think it's generally accepted that Jesus was born in what we consider to be 4 BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My family celebrates it as a secular holiday, although I think my father would prefer a little more religiosity in our Christmas.

What the heck- go to church for a few days during the Christmas season. It won't kill you and the message can be educational. Our priest teaches me something to ponder every time I go to mass.

Faith and religion must be found voluntarily by the individual, as they will be receptive to the message when they are ready, not before. Otherwise, they are going through an empty ritual. Go to church a few times and hear the PHILOSOPHY and the wisdom of the Bible. If not- that's okay, but there is alot of good information there one can use in daily life.

One of my teenage kids, who was compelled to go to church in elementary school, has returned to the church voluntarily on Sundays through his own volition. The other two kids are not quite there yet, but they need to find thier own way.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What the heck- go to church for a few days during the Christmas season. It won't kill you and the message can be educational. Our priest teaches me something to ponder every time I go to mass.

Faith and religion must be found voluntarily by the individual, as they will be receptive to the message when they are ready, not before. Otherwise, they are going through an empty ritual. Go to church a few times and hear the PHILOSOPHY and the wisdom of the Bible. If not- that's okay, but there is alot of good information there one can use in daily life.

One of my teenage kids, who was compelled to go to church in elementary school, has returned to the church voluntarily on Sundays through his own volition. The other two kids are not quite there yet, but they need to find thier own way.
And we have the same thing. Our granddaughters were required to go to church until a certain age. One continued while in college (spasmatically I will add, but did) now she and hubby are church shopping.

We have a good friend in NM. She is an Episcopal priest. When her daughter came home with a friend from college (room mate) she informed her friend, because mom is a priest, we go to church on Sundays. The college room mate was totally against religion at the time but went. Now, 30 years later she too, is a priest in So California.

Nita

Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Secular holiday. Neither my wife or I are Christian or even religious. We do however celebrate Hannukah with her father. So, we celebrate both Christmas and Hannukah.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Jesus was not born on Christmas, this is just another made-up holiday for the purpose of making pagans into "Christians". Celebrate it if you like, but know its true origins.
yes, lets do everything BUT read what he was teaching and apply it in our life

the great irony is the Jesus was not particularly religious, and even a reluctant theist

he more or less said that loving God was all well and good, but if you were a jerk with in your personal relationships you were worse than a pagan

but no..endless debates about christmas and religion and secularism

Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
LOL, I wonder what nasty names the extremists are going to call the people who voted for the "as a secular (non-religious) holiday" option.

And Merry Christmas back at you city data. Thanks for the pretty little Christmas message

Old 12-23-2009, 05:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually a better question would be - why the need to celebrate the birth of our Lord using all the traditions of other religions? Of course, we know the answer to that, don't we? The Church assigned this date for Christmas specifically to coincide with such holidays as Saturnalia, Soltice and others so they could use it as a conversion tool and make it easier to convince the Pagans they were already celebrating the birth of Jesus.
Yes....and

NO where in the bible does it instruct anyone to celebrate the birth of Jesus....it is his resurection that they were instructed to remember....but hey, there's no football in the spring!

Of course, the taveling around Easter would be more sensible and eggs and candy are easier and cheaper to provide for guests....but, alas! , the christians don't make a big deal out of the resurrection.....

Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM

15 posts, read 13,225 times
Both, for me and my family.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 PM

241 posts, read 267,383 times
Why do Christians care if non-Christians celebrate their holiday? Are you really that negative to rag on people who might just like to celebrate?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My family celebrates it as a secular holiday, although I think my father would prefer a little more religiosity in our Christmas.
Good thread topic, rep for you. Oh and, Jesus is the reason for the Season for us, but we thrown in a little Santa for toddler Sonrise as well.

Can't rep you, have done it too much already; sorry. Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies