Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Would that be the SAME Newt who was prosecuting Clinton for lying about his infidelity while NEWT was having an affair himself???

The only thing Newt could say that I would be interested in hearing would be "I'm a hypocrite and an adulterer".
I can't figure out if people forget what happened with Clinton, if it is selective memory or what. . . Clinton was prosecuted not just for lying about his infidelity but for lying under oath to a grand jury. There is quite a difference. . .
If Clinton had just lied to his wife like he always had before, and even just lied to the citizens of the U.S when he went on record as saying, "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky" it would be completely different. It is not that he lied to everyone, betrayed his wife, embarrassed and humililated his wife and daughter, had sex with an 23 year old intern, and was fooling around while tax payers where paying him to do important work for the country it is he lied under oath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
, and was fooling around while tax payers where paying him to do important work for the country it is he lied under oath.

Since you've gone OT and talk about selective memory I hope, in the interest of fairness, that you also intend to talk about a president who, after admitting we need a new strategy, instead of working whole heartedly on that strategy goes on vacation while people are in harm's way due to his poor planning. Fooling around is fooling around, I don't seem to recall many people dying due to one instance of fooling around.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Would that be the SAME Newt who was prosecuting Clinton for lying about his infidelity while NEWT was having an affair himself???

The only thing Newt could say that I would be interested in hearing would be "I'm a hypocrite and an adulterer".
hello, burdell my man I was simply responding to the above post by Lisa from debary, she brought up Clinton, I meerly responded. And no, I was not going to bring up the other. . .

Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
hello, burdell my man I was simply responding to the above post by Lisa from debary, she brought up Clinton, I meerly responded. And no, I was not going to bring up the other. . .

Pure reflex action, when the mud starts flyin' I just can't resist pickin' it up and flingin' it back over the fence

Old 05-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Pure reflex action, when the mud starts flyin' I just can't resist pickin' it up and flingin' it back over the fence
I'm right there with ya!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:00 PM

And I will surely admit I can't resist an opening whenever I see it to sneak in my favorite Clintonian quote.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
I can't figure out if people forget what happened with Clinton, if it is selective memory or what. . . Clinton was prosecuted not just for lying about his infidelity but for lying under oath to a grand jury. There is quite a difference. . .
If Clinton had just lied to his wife like he always had before, and even just lied to the citizens of the U.S when he went on record as saying, "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky" it would be completely different. It is not that he lied to everyone, betrayed his wife, embarrassed and humililated his wife and daughter, had sex with an 23 year old intern, and was fooling around while tax payers where paying him to do important work for the country it is he lied under oath.
Oh good god. Do you see Clinton preaching to people??? NO!

Last edited by Yac; 05-20-2007 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: offensive

Old 05-19-2007, 09:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
One of the articles of impeachment voted by injudicious House Republicans was for perjury. Needing 67 votes in the Senate for conviction, it got 45. Hence, Mr. Clinton was acquitted of this charge.

Quote:
Lying under oath is not a crime. It goes on all the time and nobody thinks twice about it. What people do think twice about is perjury. Perjury is very different from lying under oath. There are six elements that must be established in order to support a charge of perjury...

1. The witness must be under oath.
2. The witness must understand that he is under oath.
3. The witness must make a statement that is demonstrably false.
4. The witness must understand at the time that the statement is false.
5. The statement must be material to the central issues at hand.
6. The witness must have intended the statement to subvert the jury's ability to understand the truth of the central issues at hand.

Since a garden-variety criminal trial of the matter never occurred, no one will ever know for certain how it would have turned out, but there are few prosecutors who would have relished any attempt to make the case of perjury against Mr. Clinton, and far fewer still who could have prevailed in it. There may, in fact, be none of the latter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies