Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you see the Confederate flag displayed,what thoughts or feelings do you have about that time in
It represents a great period of American history 10 21.28%
I know it offends people but its my right to fly it 10 21.28%
It is offensive if people are proud of states rights,they can fly their state flag 12 25.53%
Don't really care 18 38.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

On the 4th, a lot of people where I currently live put the confederate flag on their vehicles.

I have read that there are varied reasons for this, if u reside in the south, what does this flag mean to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
On the 4th, a lot of people where I currently live put the confederate flag on their vehicles.

I have read that there are varied reasons for this, if u reside in the south, what does this flag mean to you?
I reside in the South and when I look at the Confederate flag, I am reminded of many things, none of them good. If you look at the history of the Civil War, you will understand why many people do not like the Confederate flag. I have researched the history. Many of the plantation owners were prepared to secede from the Union because they wanted to keep slaves. They felt like the North was telling them what to do. They used other people who had nothing to do with the cause as pawns to fight for the South. Yes, there were other problems. It was said that the USA was getting close to "nanny state". I personally don't care. If I was living in the South back in 1861, I would have been a slave.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the honest answer.In West NC I see alot of people who put it on their house...I never saw this before and wonder what it signifies: now there are people from Texas in my subdivision who put their state flag on the house...I get that they are just proud of their state....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the honest answer.In West NC I see alot of people who put it on their house...I never saw this before and wonder what it signifies: now there are people from Texas in my subdivision who put their state flag on the house...I get that they are just proud of their state....
Many people claim it is a part of their heritage of being Southern. I don't see it that way. I look at it from the perspective of a person who is descended from slaves.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM

So are they aware of this? What is the reason they give? I honestly never saw this in South Florida, the first I saw it was when I moved to Tennessee....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
Being an African-American I immediately think of all of the negative connotations of the Confederate flag. I don't see how some people can be so proud to fly it. On the other hand I know many people who do fly the flag, both black and white.

To me its slightly offensive, but not offensive enough where I really care if they fly it or not. The flag may have a significance to them that I just don't see. Its their choice.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
So are they aware of this? What is the reason they give? I honestly never saw this in South Florida, the first I saw it was when I moved to Tennessee....
I think there are people who are aware of this, and in some cases, sympathize with it, but won't say it.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
Never see it here so dont think about it.

Ive seen a confederate flag less then 5 times in my life.

Minnesota is a great place if you want to meet nice white people.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I see quite a bit of the confederate flag where I live in coastal California... Mostly it's on big giant lifted old trucks driven by younger guys and rednecks. We had one truck (mid 60s, lifted at least 15 inches with GIANT muddin tires on it) in my old town that had a full size confederate flag (freakin GIANT) on a pvc pipe in the back of his truck. I always wondered how he got under bridges....

Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,930 times
Gee this is getting old
Do you mean the "Confederate flag" or the Stars and Bars . They are very different. skip the race issue, while I can see why a Person of color [ sorry your not black and I'm not white] may take offense to it. There were also Negros that fought for the south. And also Negro slave owners. And yes also not Black [ there I said it] slaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies