Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Let's dedicate a thread to each one of your own political musings that relates to contemporary events.

A head's up: it's not a thread to debate or bash each other...

I'll go first..

Republicans are constantly saying the Democrats are trying to rush/pass the bill in regards to health care reform; i don't recall, in hindsight, the republican branch deliberating methodically over the ramifications of NAFTA.

Republicans are such hard-lined advocates of small government and very cost conscious and big on principle. One thing is they should put their money where their mouth is, that is to do the job for free or just flat-out vacate the elected governmental position they hold to save the "average-joe taxpayer" some money.

That should get things going...

Your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Let's dedicate a thread to each one of your own political musings that relates to contemporary events.

A head's up: it's not a thread to debate or bash each other...

I'll go first..

Republicans are constantly saying the Democrats are trying to rush/pass the bill in regards to health care reform; i don't recall, in hindsight, the republican branch deliberating methodically over the ramifications of NAFTA.

Republicans are such hard-lined advocates of small government and very cost conscious and big on principle. One thing is they should put their money where their mouth is, that is to do the job for free or just flat-out vacate the elected governmental position they hold to save the "average-joe taxpayer" some money.

That should get things going...

Your turn!
Im not sure you are factually correct on NAFTA

North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1991 between the three nations, the leaders met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992, to sign NAFTA. U.S. President George H.W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed it. The agreement then needed to be ratified by each nation's legislative or parliamentary branch.
Before the negotiations were finalized, Bill Clinton came into office in the U.S. and Kim Campbell in Canada, and before the agreement became law, Jean Chrétien had taken office in Canada.
While geairge H Bush Started the Negoations Bill Clinton actually signed it.

The congress that ratified the treaty in 1992 was heavely democratic

102nd United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1992 congress
SenateAffiliationMembers Democratic Party56 --> 57 Republican Party44 --> 43Total100
[edit] House of Representatives

AffiliationMembersVoting
share Democratic Party27062.1% Republican Party16437.7% Independent10.2%Total435
[edit] Officers

Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Im not sure you are factually correct on NAFTA

The congress that ratified the treaty in 1992 was heavely democratic
That, in all honesty, went way over your head...

Were the republicans moaning, whining, stalling and b*tching about NAFTA back then even though they were the minority in the branches? It's kind of like health care reform, but with the chance of our citizenry that might actually be benefitting from said legislation.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I have noticed a trend that dyed in the wool 'whatevers' will do the most amazing philosophical contortions to justify their teams bad decisions. It doesn't matter if they are dems or reps - they all do it. And if by chance they are unable to somehow twist events or facts into such a way to excuse their party's behavior/decisions then they pull the ol' ' your guy/party did it first' -- as if that justifies anything. I mean, if the dems/reps jumped off a bridge would you do it too? Quite frankly I would hope so - lets start with a fresh batch of pols and maybe we could see good for the country overtake good for the party.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Were the republicans moaning, whining, stalling and b*tching about NAFTA back then even though they were the minority in the branches? It's kind of like health care reform, but with the chance of our citizenry that might actually be benefitting from said legislation.
Certainly, the NAFTA talks also fired up Ross Perot's campaign. He managed to bring many disenfranchised Republicans under his wing, and dubbed NAFTA the 'giant sucking sound' in the South (Mexico). He lost the election but he was right. Clinton tacked a plethora of environmental regulations into NAFTA, I suppose he was not counting on the fact that the EPA has no authority in Mexico, that one really fired up early 90s Republicans. American manufacturing workers paid dearly for that legislation.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
There are two kinds of sheeple, in general : Those who graze willingly, and allow themselves to be fleeced by "big gov," and the other sheeple who are so fed up, that they want to tear "big gov" a new one, and fleece them back. baaaaack .

Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
That, in all honesty, went way over your head...

Yes, let's get to "honesty". Your biased rhetoric only lends to "bashing"; the debate part is the joke. I suspect you will be disappointed.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
It looks to me as if the Republicans say or do anything their party instructs.

Read this:

First-year students at Texas A&M's Vet school were attending their first
anatomy class, with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the
surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet. The professor
started the class by telling them, "In Veterinary Medicine it is
necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor: The first is that
you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal body". For an
example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the
butt of the dead cow, withdrew it and stuck his finger in his mouth.

"Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students.

The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually
took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead cow and sucking on
it.

When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and said, "The
second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle
finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention. Life's
tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Boehner (R) told the Republican voters to stick their finger in the butt of a dead cow and then suck the finger, they would actually do it. That is how loyal they are.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It looks to me as if the Republicans say or do anything their party instructs.

Read this:

First-year students at Texas A&M's Vet school were attending their first
anatomy class, with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the
surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet. The professor
started the class by telling them, "In Veterinary Medicine it is
necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor: The first is that
you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal body". For an
example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the
butt of the dead cow, withdrew it and stuck his finger in his mouth.

"Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students.

The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually
took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead cow and sucking on
it.

When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and said, "The
second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle
finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention. Life's
tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Boehner (R) told the Republican voters to stick their finger in the butt of a dead cow and then suck the finger, they would actually do it. That is how loyal they are.
Yes, and the dems are any different? You sir are either willfully blind or sucking your finger even as we 'type'.

The first time I heard your story it involved diagnosing diabetes by dipping ones finger in urine then licking it. I'm afraid you are not as original as you may have thought.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Yes, let's get to "honesty". Your biased rhetoric only lends to "bashing"; the debate part is the joke. I suspect you will be disappointed.
Nah, the poster misunderstood what my "musing" was about. I either suspect he/she's an ideologue, unknowingly, or just flat-out lack the capacity for reading comprehension.

Musing: Musing Definition | Definition of Musing at Dictionary.com

mus⋅ing  /ˈmyuzɪŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [myoo-zing]

–adjective 1. absorbed in thought; meditative.

–noun 2. contemplation; reflection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies