Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,724,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Herein lies the problem. If the majority of the American people are in favor of a public option or single payer, why aren't their representatives listening and voting for their constituencies demands? The reason is that they would prefer to lose support of the public by way of votes than the $$$$ that the corporations are showering them with. This is insane and until we have campaign finance reform, we will never again have a true democracy. You do not call a nation a democracy if the corporations are making the decisions as opposed to the people...you call it Corporate Fascism and that is where we are now.

Ummmm maybe because the public does not favor a single payer system?

This is sure to make you howl. Wait for it.......

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...th_care_system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,192,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Every poll on the issue I've seen (dozens over the last year or so) shows that a majority of Americans support a public option.

If the congress needed just a majority vote, then the public option would already by law.
Which is precisely why the public option survived(albeit in a watered down form) in the House. Only in the Senate can a handful of guys from states with populations the size of my home town hold an entire piece of legislation hostage.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,230,200 times
Quote:
They just oppose anything that is not a complete takeover of health care by the federal government.
Not True.
This bill in it's present form is a win/win for insurance companies, while it's lose/lose for Americans with little or no healthcare coverage.

The bill in it's present form either needs modification or killed completely and health care legislation needs to be restarted from fresh.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,230,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ummmm maybe because the public does not favor a single payer system?

This is sure to make you howl. Wait for it.......

62% Oppose Single-Payer Health Care System - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
Why do you keep reposting Rasmussen garbage? you know they're biased!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,724,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Why do you keep reposting Rasmussen garbage? you know they're biased!

And we have a winner!!!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc...r_Managers.pdf

Old 12-20-2009, 06:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,716,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Not True.
This bill in it's present form is a win/win for insurance companies, while it's lose/lose for Americans with little or no healthcare coverage.

The bill in it's present form either needs modification or killed completely and health care legislation needs to be restarted from fresh.
It is even worse than the status quo. If you do have coverage, it will TAX your benefits! If you don't have it you will get fined.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,920,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is even worse than the status quo. If you do have coverage, it will TAX your benefits! If you don't have it you will get fined.
You are fighting a losing battle KevK. The liberals here are not like you. They are liberals in words only. They don't really care about anyone but themselves. They are what I call the moneybag liberals. They spew all the right rhetoric, know the buzz words. Shoot, they can even type while sipping their expensive brandy. But when it comes down to it they really don't care about the people. It is like belonging to a club, they need to feel cool, to belong. They don't really care about the members of the club just as long as they can say they belong.

You are right, even though I am right of center I can see that this bill is a joke and overall will hurt the very people it claims it will help. I will probably not be affected but millions will, and not in a positive way. Now it will be up to people like you to scream and pound the tables because the moneybag liberals have succeeded in getting something , anything, that they can call a success. It does not matter that it really helps the very industry that many despised. It does not matter that the cost will be put back on the very people that can't afford it. It is all about political success, not about actually helping people, at least in the eyes of the moneybag liberals.

Just wait for the flaming I will get from these moneybag liberals. They are so predictable, so pitiful.

To be fair and balanced it would have been carried out in a very similar fashion no matter who was in charge, Democrats, Republicans.

blowoutcongress.com

Old 12-20-2009, 09:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I can't believe I agree with MoveOn.org.

WASHINGTON – The liberal group MoveOn.org is opposing the Senate health care bill and urging Democrats to block it.

In a letter to members Friday, MoveOn.org complained that the legislation has no government-run insurance option and no expansion of Medicare.
They are against it because they wanted MORE. So the reality is I doubt you and MoveOn or in agreement, think about it for a second and you will see the logic.
Casper

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
No one is proposing a complete nationalized health care system. Even the proposals for the "public option" are just that - an option (well, Bernie Sander's proposal might be for a strict single-payer system - I'm not sure, I didn't read it).
Conyers and Kucinich have been proposing that for years. It never gets out of committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies