Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't understand why senate Republicans are still so angry. The bill has already been stripped of most anything that will terribly inconvenience their overlords in the insurance industry.
Kind of a funny situation here.

As you state, the Senate Republicans are going ballistic over the plan. Yet, if you read the more established liberal blogs out there they are just as angry, and threatening a revolt.

A moment of sanity with a calm evaluation of the comprehensive proposal from the Senate would be appreciated, at least by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

As you state, the Senate Republicans are going ballistic over the plan. Yet, if you read the more established liberal blogs out there they are just as angry, and threatening a revolt.

A moment of sanity with a calm evaluation of the comprehensive proposal from the Senate would be appreciated, at least by me.
This seems the most bizarre thing to me. The politicians are completely ingnoring the wishes of constituents to move this legislation forward.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:

Really. I think we're all starting to believe our own propaganda and spin. Nobody including the senators have even read the whole thing; only the parts that gore their particular ox. The whole reform has turned into partisan political theater. I just haven't made up my mind wether iit's a comedy or a tragedy

Old 12-20-2009, 05:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:

At least you have to give those of us to the left of the left credit. Our support modifies as the bill modifies. I refuse to vocally support such claptrap no matter who it's proposed by, even if it's failure would hurt the administration. The word from Senate republicans seems to be to stop healthcare reform no matter what, not "stop the public option" or "stop federal funding of abortion", even though they use these to make it appear that their votes can be won over.

And the Dems who are saying that we should support healthcare reform "like, you know, just 'cause" are about as spineless.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Congress is full of corruption and whoremongering politicians. Fire them all.

If sunlight is the great sanitizer why is Reid insisting on a 1am vote? Can't he stand the sunlight?

Why push responsible people who are self-insured out of their plans and forcing them into the government "pool" of acceptable options? Why threaten these previously self-insured folks with a $15K fine or up to a year in jail if they refuse to comply???

I am preparing for the possibility of my government forcing me to into jail (after they outlaw my Health Savings Account and current insurance) where, ironically, they will also be forced to provide for my medical care.

It doesn't have to make sense; it is the government.

Fire the b*st*rds, all!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:51 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I personally am not a constitutional scholar, but I look forward to what will no doubt be a court challenge to the Federal Government forcing citizens to buy health insurance. Someone, somewhere will make a case out of this, i'm confident.
There will likely be a court challenge that will not succeed. What's the difference between being forced to buy government pensions (Social Security) and government health insurance? If one is constitutional the other will be found constitutional on the same grounds. By the way, I oppose government health care.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Just like the courts overturned legislation requiring Americans to buy car insurance!

Oh, wait...
Point us in the direction of that federal law...

Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
The insurance companies are dancing in the street. Their reps...on both sides of the aisle...are cashing the big bonus checks they got from the insurance companies. And we, the people, are once again the losers. Our Corporate government (because that is what is really is) has allowed our jobs to be shipped to countries where the last dollar can be squeezed out for the richest of the rich and left working people destitute. Now they have found a way to punish them for not having a job that provides health insurance and taxes them in their poverty. I am so fed up with both democrats and republicans that I have lost hope that we can ever survive them.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
WHO | WHOSIS | Search

For anyone that wants to look at comparisons from the WHO.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why push responsible people who are self-insured out of their plans and forcing them into the government "pool" of acceptable options? Why threaten these previously self-insured folks with a $15K fine or up to a year in jail if they refuse to comply???

I am preparing for the possibility of my government forcing me to into jail (after they outlaw my Health Savings Account and current insurance) where, ironically, they will also be forced to provide for my medical care.
I have a hard time understanding your post. If you're self-insured, you're carrying the full risk on your own - viable if you have a few hundred thousands in reasonably liquid assets, I suppose - but then you start talking about "your current insurance". If you're paying premiums to an insurance company, you're not self-insured. Could it be you're confusing privately insured with self-insured? Because if you're privately insured, you're perfectly good under the suggested legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies