Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I, actually, don't respond with opinion. I always speak on this subject with the backing of science. It's just that when you present an entirely one-sided website and ask me to respond to it, I can't take it seriously.

I do the same for the lefties - all these environmental websites that tout global warming. Worthless to me. They have an agenda - same as your site.

It's important to seek out the truth in the middle. If you'd like to go there, we can. But, as for now, I'm going to need less biased sources to discuss.

God bless.
nice response....that's all i want is truth too...i don't think arguing solves anything but we have to see every side of each subject....i actually did believe in the Al Gore side of things when he released that movie and i voted for Obama but my beliefs are now changed after putting some decisions that the government has made together like 2 plus 2 and i am on the defensive now about trusting in the way things are going...but nice response from you though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Someday, maybe we'll all run out of fresh drinking water.

Ground-water depletion, USGS water science

ya they are creating the makings of the new dust bowl era in the south west. the big difference this time is there won't be water left to replenish the aquifers. they better start to pray for a weather pattern change. they keep packing more and more people in the south west. somethings got to give, you can't live without water!!

the way i see it, we have to be causing some adverse affects!!! dang we have dropped half the rain forest in the world, burned half the oil,burned mountain size quantities of coal every year, depleated the oceans of many species of fish, spread invasive species all around the globe,, species are going extint 1000 times faster than before the industrial revolution.. pollution is getting worse around the globe. drougt plaues many regions of the world ,just look at australia. we humans are a force to be reckoned with.. we move more matter around this globe in one day than they did in a whole year in the 1800s.

this is my veiw on gobal warming, yes we might be causing some global warming . but on the other hand we might be averting a new ice age, if it wern't for all the extra co2 in the atmosphere.. an ice age would be way worse than a little bit of global warming, just look at the chaos one little blizzard causes on the east coast just imagine that blizzard giong on for months. new york city use to be under 5000 feet of glacial ice.. you can't grow food in subarctic conditions..as bad as global warming is it's no where close to a full blown ice age!!!! in 1970s they were saying a new ice age is coming, in the 90s it was global warming, in 2005 it changed to climate change.. well what the hell is it!!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
You do realize that there are at least a dozen threads on climate.

Talk about absurd, your link is password protected.
Have a hard time with science, do you?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Based on just some of the computer code that has been exposed, it is a certainty that the code is just as bad as the data that has been "homogenized".

Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
One more time, for the folks in the back...Your pdf file link is PASSWORD protected!
Makes commenting on what your trying to share impossible. Unless, of course, you'd like to toss the password our way?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
One more time, for the folks in the back...Your pdf file link is PASSWORD protected!
Makes commenting on what your trying to share impossible. Unless, of course, you'd like to toss the password our way?

Duh....I posted the wrong link.

RealClearMarkets - The Perverse Economics of Climate Modeling

Sorry bout that.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ya they are creating the makings of the new dust bowl era in the south west. the big difference this time is there won't be water left to replenish the aquifers. they better start to pray for a weather pattern change. they keep packing more and more people in the south west. somethings got to give, you can't live without water!!

the way i see it, we have to be causing some adverse affects!!! dang we have dropped half the rain forest in the world, burned half the oil,burned mountain size quantities of coal every year, depleated the oceans of many species of fish, spread invasive species all around the globe,, species are going extint 1000 times faster than before the industrial revolution.. pollution is getting worse around the globe. drougt plaues many regions of the world ,just look at australia. we humans are a force to be reckoned with.. we move more matter around this globe in one day than they did in a whole year in the 1800s.

this is my veiw on gobal warming, yes we might be causing some global warming . but on the other hand we might be averting a new ice age, if it wern't for all the extra co2 in the atmosphere.. an ice age would be way worse than a little bit of global warming, just look at the chaos one little blizzard causes on the east coast just imagine that blizzard giong on for months. new york city use to be under 5000 feet of glacial ice.. you can't grow food in subarctic conditions..as bad as global warming is it's no where close to a full blown ice age!!!! in 1970s they were saying a new ice age is coming, in the 90s it was global warming, in 2005 it changed to climate change.. well what the hell is it!!
I'm of the opinion that it's climate change. For evey action man does, there is a reaction. What is startling is the drop in the water table. In the great lakes region, water for drinking and other purposes has been sucked out of the ground since 1867, the water table is 900 feet lower now than it was back then.

Things are occurring globally that have either never happened and some people think it's man made. I guess it is possible it's man made.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Actually, the climate discussion involves both models and science. It is partially what makes the overall discussion so difficult, you have the problems with models, and conflicting outputs (sometimes based on corrupt data input) and then you also have scientific observation and measurement, about things like the size of various ice points in the north pole area.

While I agree that the information can be conflicting, at some point you have to do risk analysis and determine what direction you consider appropriate. I come down on the side that global warming is more likely legitimate than not, and it is possible that we are making it somewhat worse through our behavior. However, I think the risk has been oversold as a "known outcome" if nothing is done, and I agree with the article that many have financial incentives involved in scaring folks about global warming.

So, I conclude with we likely should try to do something constructive to take down those items contributing to global warming, but only at a marginal effort. If the Obama Administration was really serious about the matter, they would have gone in the direction of a "Carbon Tax" applied to those sources making the greatest problems, changing the economics of using those polluting processes. It would have allowed a transparent and targeted way of addressing the issue, and even those who disagree with global warming as a legit issue would know what to measure for future validation that the assumptions were correct or incorrect. A tax could then be adjusted, based on what is found at future measurement points for effectiveness.

However, the Obama folks have gone for an exceptionally contorted "Cap & Trade" system instead of a "Carbon Tax", and then further bastardize the clarity of the process via their "free distribution" of over 80% of the initial allowances.

So, one would have to conclude that the global warming issue for Obama actually presents yet another mechanism to back door income redistribution.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Real clear link.
Don't bother.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:08 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
There are so many horrible effects of man made global warming that we will be feeling serious effects, many of them already quiet evident. Because of man made global warming, we are seeing the following disastrous consequences:
Excessive heat
Excessive cold
Droughts
Floods
Warm winters
Cold winters
Early springs
Late springs
Hot summers
Cold summers
Autumns with great foliage colors
Autumns lacking foliage colors
Lack of snow
Abundance of snow
Heavy rain
Light rain

What??? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME! You guys crack me up!! You're trying to cover your bases on all ends!! You basically just described what the earth has always done!! LOL....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies