Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed. Considering these Senators sometimes stay in office into the 90s, he may have plans to run in 2012. If this health care reform turns out well (and no one knows what will happen despite what all the prognosticators say), all will be forgetten by then. If not, it will be held against him.
II thought you wanted to know when he was up for re-election.

Nelson has not made any indication as to whether he plans to seek re-election or not but I can tell you with assurance that "rural rednecks" (as liberals are so wont to call anyone in the rural part of a red state) have long memories. At this point, I can tell you that sentiment where I live is heavily against him. Whatever "benefits" may be in store are far in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Bye bye Ben!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Probably because Bush wasn't spending as much as Obama is!
No spinning at all, just facts. Obama is outspending even Bush! And it's just starting (unfortunately).
Actually it is spinning because it doesn't account for all the stimulus funds that have been repaid and the things we needed to spend on (infrastructure) that were ignored under Bush.

Also you never hear them talk about the largest tax cut in history that was part of the stimulus.

Quote:
BTW, can't you type one post without using those asterisks?
That's the language filter, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Maybe you're right. Maybe O'Reilly is an "idiot." Because he did say this:

"Obama is ultra-smart."
- Bill O'Reilly, March 24, 2009
So Bill O'Reilly recognizes that a man who was a professor of constitutional law and attended some of the most prestigious schools in America based entirely on his own merit and wrote two best sellers is "ultra-smart"?

Well gee, someone give that guy a cookie.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
It is no loss to these politicians to be ousted from their seats. They have already qualified for their sweeheart healthcare and retirement pension courtesy of the taxpayers. Nelson will likely just get a high paying job at a law firm or become a lobbiest as do so many retired from office from both sides of the aisle.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"rural rednecks" (as liberals are so wont to call anyone in the rural part of a red state) have long memories.
No they don't.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
II thought you wanted to know when he was up for re-election.

Nelson has not made any indication as to whether he plans to seek re-election or not but I can tell you with assurance that "rural rednecks" (as liberals are so wont to call anyone in the rural part of a red state) have long memories. At this point, I can tell you that sentiment where I live is heavily against him. Whatever "benefits" may be in store are far in the future.
Well, you're outnumbered. About half of Nebraska's population lives in the Omaha metro, another good portion lives in Lincoln, and the rural counties are declining.

Rural Nebraska’s population continues to shrink

Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you're outnumbered. About half of Nebraska's population lives in the Omaha metro, another good portion lives in Lincoln, and the rural counties are declining.

Rural Nebraska’s population continues to shrink
Exactly. The key to Nebraska politics is winning Omaha and Lincoln. If Nelson has enough support in those two metros (I'd venture to guess that he does) than he will have enough support to get re-elected.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
No they don't.
This one does. I assure you I am not unique.

quote=Katiana;12125748]Well, you're outnumbered. About half of Nebraska's population lives in the Omaha metro, another good portion lives in Lincoln, and the rural counties are declining.

Rural Nebraska’s population continues to shrink[/quote]

There are many conservatives who live in metropolitan areas. Even Omaha. The same is true across the country. The reverse is also true. There are liberals in rural areas. It's a matter of proportion.

Only time will tell what the outcome for Benedict Nelson--and others who voted against what their constituency wanted-- will be. He may or may not run again. Even he may not know at this point. When the voters have spoken it will be apparent how this will all shake out.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
This one does. I assure you I am not unique.
You forget that I lived in Nebraska for most of my life. If I had a dime for everytime the people there cried that they'd never re-elect someone and then turned around and did the same thing, I'd be damn rich.

Quote:
There are many conservatives who live in metropolitan areas. Even Omaha.
Yes, but they are out numbered by more liberal leaners.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually it is spinning because it doesn't account for all the stimulus funds that have been repaid and the things we needed to spend on (infrastructure) that were ignored under Bush.
No spinning. I opposed Bush's (over)spending then and I still oppose them.

Quote:
Also you never hear them talk about the largest tax cut in history that was part of the stimulus.
The Bush tax cuts? It wasn't the largest tax cut in history. The John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan tax cut(s) were bigger.

Quote:
That's the language filter, not me.
Why don't you just use normal English, like I do?

Quote:
So Bill O'Reilly recognizes that a man who was a professor of constitutional law and attended some of the most prestigious schools in America based entirely on his own merit and wrote two best sellers is "ultra-smart"?

Well gee, someone give that guy a cookie.
It does show that he is not an idiot like you claim. Here are a few more:

"His (Bush) legacy is toast."
- Bill O'Reilly, Sept. 18, 2008

"America is not in great shape this year."
- Bill O'Reilly, early 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies