Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM

18 posts, read 17,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Didn't candidate obama claim that how Bush was dealing with Iran all wrong? That Iran needed to be engaged, that he would hit them with his rhetorical flourishes and empty cliches and they would come around when they had a "true" leader to negotiate with them?

I seems that his strategy of embracing the world's dictators and murderers has not borne fruit...yet.

Sounds like a deflated premise to me. I suppose the purpose of this conversation was to initially call Obama weak in a very pointed way. When lots of people pointed out that Iran has been no more arrogant than they were during W.'s watch, it goes back to calling out the difference in tactics, I guess?

Neither the previous administration's, nor the UN's methods have cowed Iran very much so it's the same result, unfortunately. However, you're implying that Iran is just now becoming defiant, which is sadly not the case.

While I'd be happy to share in some Obama criticism with you about things that really are his fault, this one is a stretch. It makes for fun reading, though. Nice try, I think you meant well.

Last edited by JeffersG; 12-22-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
When I read the thread title, I thought thus:

Hasn't Iran been trash talking the US since, uh, 1979, a mere thirty years ago?

Should we care what Iran thinks?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Default Yipes !!! ..... "Shown Who's Boss Again"

Quote:
More of that obama "smart power", resetting relationships around the world.

What happened to that 2 week deadline, 2 months ago?

It seems he has not proffered himself and the US sufficiently to "unclench" that fist.

Ahmadinejad on Nuke Deadline: 'We Don't Care' - Iran | Map | News - FOXNews.com
Good Evening,

It appears that most of the folks around the world with whom the current Administration has set so called time limits to do something now definitely know the meaning of the word "Pusillanimous" and are perhaps most accurately applying it to these piddling "Career Politicians" !

America's most embarrassing load of "poppycock" !

Thanks / Uncle Lamar

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Yeah but, that wasn't supposed to happen with obama in charge. He was gonna use that "smart power" of his to "reset" those relationships (they never needed resetting in the first place, just another catchy phrase and slogan).

So far, that smart power has resulted in nothing.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah but, that wasn't supposed to happen with obama in charge. He was gonna use that "smart power" of his to "reset" those relationships (they never needed resetting in the first place, just another catchy phrase and slogan).

So far, that smart power has resulted in nothing.

Haha, yep, maybe you should have made the title "Iran to Obama: pound sand, smartypants," that would have made more sense, honestly and given the liberals less to screetch at you about.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersG View Post
Haha, yep, maybe you should have made the title "Iran to Obama: pound sand, smartypants," that would have made more sense, honestly and given the liberals less to screetch at you about.
If liberals are screeching at me.....that's a good thing.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
If liberals are screeching at me.....that's a good thing.
I suppose so. Just remember that Iran, just like Cuba, has been a bad egg for a very long time.

On the one hand, the partisan side of me wants to sing along with you; on the other hand, no matter who is in the White House, I am ashamed that, time and time again, that country has disregarded us and, really the whole world.

I almost wish Iran was still fighting Iraq (the old regime there, not the govt we installed). At least they had a stalemate going that kept both of them occupied.

I remember those days, I think the State Department's stance on that little conflict was "take your time fighting that one out amongst yourselves, fellas."

Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Conservatives admire brawn over brain. That's no surprise.
Maybe the conservatives would admire some one who is as strong as an ox...and one that has the mental abilities of an ox as well.
brawn puts food on the table.

when dealing with unstable national leaders of 3rd world countries, brains don't cut it.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 PM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
If we went to war with Iran we would lose, we do not have the forces or money after bush put us in Iraq and Afgan. You want to unite the whole arab base go into Iran and watch Pakastan fall and the radicals get nukes real fast. You bumpkin simplificatation of smacking things with sticks you don't like has almsot broke no it has broke this stupid couintry. I say scrap it shoot Hannity and Limbuagh as traitors and move all the idiot conservitives to labor camps.
So you're in favor of a totalitarian regime, and you are in favor of genocide. Nice. What a comforting thought that I share space in this couintry (sic) with you.

I'd just like to live my life as I see fit without interference from types like Stalin, Pol Pot, Amin, etc. Is that too much to ask? I suppose it is in your world because that is exactly what you are proposing. You want to silence those who hold differing opinions than yours; I wish to silence nobody (including you). I'm for freedom, you're for tyranny. I wonder whose world would be a better one?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersG View Post
I remember those days, I think the State Department's stance on that little conflict was "take your time fighting that one out amongst yourselves, fellas."
Actually, our stance was to give Saddam satellite imagery of Iranian troop concentrations and ignore or soft-pedal his widespread use of chemical weapons on the Iranians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies