Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Well, at least Mao is now Made in America.

I'm glad the bulb didn't come from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I don't "hate" anyone unless I have personal experience with them. It's just a personal policy of mine. I can see that he was a horrible dictator, and a horrible person in general, but I don't "hate" him.

There's very, very few things in this world that I actually "hate". Hatred uses up too much energy.
Probably less than burying ones head in the sand however.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Probably less than burying ones head in the sand however.

You seem to be insinuating that I am ignoring his transgressions and condoning what he's done.

That is wrong. Like I've said many times: I can see that he's a horrible person, I just do not hate him.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, given that Mao had more people murdered than Hitler and Stalin combined, you have to wonder.

However, you have to realize that most people are too lazy to look at actually consider the ramifications of the art they are buying. They just think Andy Warhol did, say, "Wow, stylish!" and sport it around as if it were a fashion accessory.

The same thing with those stupid Che t-shirts worn by no-nothing halfwits. My nephew wore one to a party a few years ago, and I asked, "So, would you wear a t-shirt that romanticized John Wayne Gacy? Then why on earth would you lionize someone who killed thousands of people in cold blood? No in combat, mind you, but torturing them in prison and having them executed for no other reason than their political ideology." My nephew hasn't worn that shirt since.
And I had a friend who wore a Che shirt to get discussion going. He WANTED to talk politics, sociology etc. and it was an interesting conversation starter. Just because someone has a picture, t shirt, ornament etc. of a terrible person means you support them.

I have a framed copy of a painting Hitler did when he was a youth. People have commented on how beautiful the painting is and that's a segway for me to say 'Yes, isn't it amazing how someone so horrible could produce something so beautiful'. For me, it keeps things in perspective.

Don't assume you know what point people are making.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
I'm no fan of Mao--he was a brutal dictator responsible for the deaths of many Chinese and he destroyed a great deal of the Chinese cultural heritage. However, he is still held in high regard by many Chinese as someone who united the country and laid the framework for transforming China from a feudal backwater to a modern power---even as many Chinese question his legacy.

I'm no fan of Jefferson Davis either, and we have monuments to that traitor all over our country..but I don't get offended when I drive by Stone Mountain. I'm honestly not that concerned whether someone decides to wear a Che Guevara t-shirt or fly a Confederate flag. I'm more concerned with real issues in this country: Our war in Afghanistan, how the stimulus dollars are spent, what can be done to improve our economy, whether the health care bill is a failure...

At it's worst, if a Mao Christmas ornament was selected by the decorator(which hasn't been proven) it'd be a case of poor taste.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
You seem to be insinuating that I am ignoring his transgressions and condoning what he's done.

That is wrong. Like I've said many times: I can see that he's a horrible person, I just do not hate him.
I don't "hate" him either, but I do hate what he did, and what he stands for.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Why, that's not what this thread is about at all. If that example is wrong, it still doesn't change my thread at all. Look at Langen, he/she is defending an ornament with mao on it, regardless of who's tree said ornament is on. Will you condemn that? If not, why not? You're so busy being a partisan hack trying to defend all things that you perceive to be a slight against Obama you haven't even addressed the thread topic. here it is one more time: Why is Hitler bad, but mao gets a free pass amongst you radical leftists?
It's the premise for your question. So it's pertinent.

And I'm not a radical leftist. And I could lengthily explain the differences between Hitler and Mao, without idealizing or excusing either one. They are very different historical figures. I wouldn't condemn anyone for having either person on their Christmas ornaments until they explained why they made that choice. Then, I might or might not condemn those reasons, depending on what the reasons were. I also wouldn't call someone names, like partisan hack, for instance, unless I could support that characterization. Because I'm actually a reasonable person, my words and actions are done with a reason. So why are you insulting me?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
. I just don't get it?
You certainly don't, and likely never will.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Mao was responsible for even more deaths than the infamous villain Adolf Hitler, yet whenever a leftist embraces him, whether it be through a speech, or on an ornament on the White House Christmas tree, it is always dismissed immediately and the messenger is usually attacked. Yet if one were to replace Mao with Hitler in these specific instances, everyone would be in an uproar (rightfully so), so why the double standard? If Obama's tree had a Hitler ornament on it, it would be all over every media outlet in the world; but since it's Mao, not a peep. I just don't get it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVeqj...eature=related

Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You certainly don't, and likely never will.
You're correct, I will never understand liberalism and the brain of the radical left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies