Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I believe it's because Israel refuses to withdraw from territory they agreed to from the 67 war. Also, they keep expanding on the west bank in defiance of UN resolutions. Palistinians have a point but certainly not justification to lob rockets at women and children.
Everybody has a point.

And everybody has a claim to some land that was at one time held by their ancestors.

So whose land is it, anyway? Israel can go back thousands of years and make the rightful claim of, "It's OURS!" Shoot, Israel could go back to the United Monarchy and claim a much larger area than they now occupy. But does that mean they should just go in and take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
With the middle east so unstable I have to wonder if there will be a war between Iran & the U.S.

What is your opinion of this possible war that could be the start of WWIII.
There's really no need for a war. The Israelis destroyed Iraq's Osirak nuclear facility without invading. The reason for the US invasion of Iraq was to demonstrate to Middle Eastern countries that they can't play the game of financing terrorists to attack the US at home while pretending that they had nothing to do with it.

Because the US has significant air assets in the area, it can hit many more targets on a more sustained basis than Israel could in its single attack in 1981. American munitions are also much more accurate than what Israel could muster in 1981. Ultimately, the only way an invasion might occur is if Iran invaded Afghanistan or Iraq as punishment for American air strikes on the Iranian nuclear program.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I hope I'm wrong about it too. But I don't think I am.

Unfortunately, when a despotic tyrant runs a country, he will be the LAST person to starve.

At this point, I don't know what the answer is. But honestly, I think the time is running out on Israel's patience. They're not going to sit still and let Iran shoot nuclear weapons at them.
Israel needs to sit on its hands and quit playing their games, too.

Again, go join up, take your jingoistic attitude and volunteer for the military' make sure your kids and all of their friends join as well.
See what war is really like, not some silly movie or vague impression that you have.

Look at the photos of the 4,500 or so young citizens who have given their lives in this folly.
Look at the photos of the 30k+ who have been wounded, lost their families, friends and clarity.
Don't you dare minimize or glorify war.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,616 times
I do not believe with the current president that we will go to war with Iran, even though they show no regard to the international community. We need to take care of Afghanistan first and then just be ready in case Iran steps up and forces our hand into action. Right now our military is spread to thin and starting somewhere else would just leave us vulnerable at home. I do believe that Iran will do something to Isreal but we can not be the main player in stopping this, the world finally needs to help police and not rely on us for everyhting.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
There's really no need for a war. The Israelis destroyed Iraq's Osirak nuclear facility without invading. The reason for the US invasion of Iraq was to demonstrate to Middle Eastern countries that they can't play the game of financing terrorists to attack the US at home while pretending that they had nothing to do with it.

Because the US has significant air assets in the area, it can hit many more targets on a more sustained basis than Israel could in its single attack in 1981. American munitions are also much more accurate than what Israel could muster in 1981. Ultimately, the only way an invasion might occur is if Iran invaded Afghanistan or Iraq as punishment for American air strikes on the Iranian nuclear program.
Garbage.
Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 terrorists.
Most were from Saudi, but the Saud's are US puppets and Bush family friends.
Get your facts straight.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
The Saudis already gave permission for the israeli's to use their airspace. I think it's only a matter of time before Israel makes a decisive move.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Everybody has a point.

And everybody has a claim to some land that was at one time held by their ancestors.

So whose land is it, anyway? Israel can go back thousands of years and make the rightful claim of, "It's OURS!" Shoot, Israel could go back to the United Monarchy and claim a much larger area than they now occupy. But does that mean they should just go in and take it?
FYI, I have never ascribed to the theory that Israel has a right to Palistine because they were there 2000 years ago. But then again, Might has always made right in the middle east.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The Saudis already gave permission for the israeli's to use their airspace. I think it's only a matter of time before Israel makes a decisive move.
And Iran - being the civilized humanitarians they are - will use their women & children and "civilian shields."

Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Everybody has a point.

Oh garbage.
How's that working for the Native Americans?

The country of my ancestors doesn't exist any more - does that mean we can all go back and have land.
Look at maps from the last several decades, not even centuries and you will see that countries and borders change.
You're really not as naive as you're presenting.

In 1948, land was stolen from the middle eastern countries for Israel. Israel had no claim until that time

Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
And Iran - being the civilized humanitarians they are - will use their women & children and "civilian shields."
What does this have to do with you, number 1; number 2, they're not the only ones.
You're grasping at straws here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies