Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Um no. Cruel and unusual punishment is always wrong. The punishment is wrong.

When Jeffrey Dahmer was convicted to life in prison for eating 10 people the judge didn't sentence him to be eaten by a gay cannibal. That would be really stupid and unethical.

The whole eye for an eye thing is really disgusting.
It is wrong when it is done to the wrong people. Like the innocent people in Gitmo who were tortured or anywhere else in the world.

I personally do not care what happened to Jeffery. If he was sentenced to be eaten by a gay cannibal, I don't personally do not care. I personally would not give that sentence because I would not want to endanger other people by eating humans.

Quote:
New flash. People don't just sit in jail in the middle east.

You should be sympathetic to all human beings.

I'm curious were you a victim of some crime? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.
I am sympathetic to all human beings until they lose their sympathy for the person they raped and murdered. You are a worthless scumbag after that. Not a human.

It matters not if I was a victim of a crime or not. I do not have to be a victim to hold this position although I will say I am very fortunate to not have a been a victim of physical assault or rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 AM

331 posts, read 498,611 times
I agree. It's not called sympathy, though, it's called "repentance". Repenting from your sins redeems you.

And it is wrong if it's done to the wrong people. Whoever ordered that senseless crap deserves what to get what they ordered. And as for the worthless scum that does this, well, they deserve what they get, if they truly haven't repented. God will take care of that.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
I agree. It's not called sympathy, though, it's called "repentance". Repenting from your sins redeems you.

And it is wrong if it's done to the wrong people. Whoever ordered that senseless crap deserves what to get what they ordered. And as for the worthless scum that does this, well, they deserve what they get, if they truly haven't repented. God will take care of that.
It is not even about repenting or God to me, you know?

It is about decency. What do YOU get out of raping a woman or murdering someone who did nothing to you? I could never put someone INNOCENT through this. Someone who is minding their own business and living their life. When you kill someone, you ruining the lives of their children, their spouse, their parents, whatever, WHOEVER! You don't just hurt that one person.

You have the nerve to hold a woman down and cut off her ears and then her nose? You deserve it. Even God Himself (if he exists) could not convince me otherwise.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I still don't agree with you people. I think the death penalty or prison would be more appropriate than the disfigurement. Disfigurement is just wrong. You can't do that to anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is not even about repenting or God to me, you know?

It is about decency. What do YOU get out of raping a woman or murdering someone who did nothing to you? I could never put someone INNOCENT through this. Someone who is minding their own business and living their life. When you kill someone, you ruining the lives of their children, their spouse, their parents, whatever, WHOEVER! You don't just hurt that one person.

You have the nerve to hold a woman down and cut off her ears and then her nose? You deserve it. Even God Himself (if he exists) could not convince me otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post

Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I still don't agree with you people. I think the death penalty or prison would be more appropriate than the disfigurement. Disfigurement is just wrong. You can't do that to anybody.
It is cool. You know what? You do not have to agree with me in the least. You have every right to your opinion.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Thank you. My point is if the criminals are so bad then they should be executed. They conspired to do an illegal and deadly assault and the death penalty sounds fine for this situation.

I doubt they really wanted to marry her. They were going to harm her anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It is cool. You know what? You do not have to agree with me in the least. You have every right to your opinion.

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-23-2009 at 02:11 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
I am so disgusted on this case that disfigurement does fit the crime IMO. I think we could learn something from the Middle East. If someone steals, cut their hands and feet off. If someone rapes, cut off their appendage. The only stipulation I would have is they would have to convict them without ANY doubt, not the current REASONABLE doubt.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 AM

Judicial Barbarianism is really messed up dude.
There are plenty of European countries and Canada that operate with humane punishments that don't involve cruelty and the rates of crime are lower than the U.S.

The U.S. has the highest crime rate according to this poll. But I don't see why Canada is doing so much better. They have a similar system to the U.S.

And Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are near the bottom of the crime stats. You are welcomed to move over there. Let me know if you feel safe and satisfied there. I bet they are lovely countries.

Look Mexico has much lower crime stats than the U.S. I bet you'd love it there

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...e-total-crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am so disgusted on this case that disfigurement does fit the crime IMO. I think we could learn something from the Middle East. If someone steals, cut their hands and feet off. If someone rapes, cut off their appendage. The only stipulation I would have is they would have to convict them without ANY doubt, not the current REASONABLE doubt.

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-23-2009 at 02:41 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 03:18 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Thank you. My point is if the criminals are so bad then they should be executed. They conspired to do an illegal and deadly assault and the death penalty sounds fine for this situation.

I doubt they really wanted to marry her. They were going to harm her anyway.
They disfigured her in revenge because she didn't want to marry one of them.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Normally I am appalled at what passes for 'justice' in islamic theocracies --- but in this case I understand where the judge was going with this particular punishment.
Pakistan has had a lot of problems with men disfiguring women who spurned them -- maybe these men being disfigured and spending the rest of their lives in a sh%thole prison just may deter another guy from throwing acid in the face of a woman who wouldn't marry him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies