Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

It's shutting down because it's old. The Shuttle Program is expensive and the longer they keep going the more expensive it gets. They need new generation of launch vehicles.

There is 3 of 5 of left with 2 of them being destroyed, Endeavour is almost 2 decades old and the other 2 are around 25 years old. All good things come to an end, they served a purpose but their time is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
The shuttle program although exciting has been expensive. At around 1.2 million for a failed launch and as much as 500 million for a successful launch one can see just how pricey the program can be.
The shuttle is oudated and should have been replaced long ago.

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
thanks for all the responses...except for the person who knows nothing about the golden rule

Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
does anyone know why the space program is shutting down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Cause we are poor? The government's spent all our money and we don't have enough for anything else? Where have you been for the last year? We probably will be spending 6 Trillion dollars before some of things are done...
Quote:
why u attacking me anyway buddy?..did you read the rules on this site...it says internet gangstas arent allowed
You're calling THAT post an attack?! Boy.. you sure have thin skin.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
i lived in Orlando and knew about this before but never got any answers of why because all people i asked knew was that that it was shutting down...why u attacking me anyway buddy?..did you read the rules on this site...it says internet gangstas arent allowed
You still haven't answered my question. What part of the "space program" are you referring to?

Again, the Shuttle's are being decommissioned. There are only 3 shuttles left in operation, they are too old, too few and too costly to meet their mission requirements. Unfortunately the development of their replacements (rocket based vehicles) has been delayed which will result in a gap in manned space missions. The space station is a ridiculous waste of time, money and energy so a whole new approach needs to be considered.

Personally, the idea of manned missions is a bit of a joke since the only plausible destinations are restricted to our own solar system for the foreseeable future, and I'm talking about hundreds if not thousands of year if ever. Maybe going to Mars makes sense, but ultimately, man is restricted to an infinitesimally small portion of the known universe.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
i lived in Orlando and knew about this before but never got any answers of why because all people i asked knew was that that it was shutting down...why u attacking me anyway buddy?..did you read the rules on this site...it says internet gangstas arent allowed
I get crazy sometimes when we spend trillions of dollars we don't have and then someone asks why we aren't spending billions more...

Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
The Space Shuttle are being decommissioned, which is not unexpected since most aircraft only have a 30 year lifespan. Unlike some other aircraft I could mention, the space shuttles are being retired before they develop serious mechanical/electrical issues brought on by age. Plus, the new Ares rockets are superior in every way to the old shuttles, and if I am not mistaken the Air Force has been using rockets similar to the Ares design for decades.

Hopefully technology will catch up with us and jet planes can exit the atmosphere as opposed to expensive and fuel consuming rocket launches. If we developed spy planes during the Cold War that could reach the upper limits of the atmosphere surely we can produce viable craft that can do the same in this day and age..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Personally, the idea of manned missions is a bit of a joke since the only plausible destinations are restricted to our own solar system for the foreseeable future, and I'm talking about hundreds if not thousands of year if ever. Maybe going to Mars makes sense, but ultimately, man is restricted to an infinitesimally small portion of the known universe.
That 'infinitesimally small portion' of the universe is currently the most useful to us commercially. Someone has to maintain all the satellites orbiting our planet.. Anything beyond our moon would be grounds for unmanned mission for the foreseeable future.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
does anyone know why the space program is shutting down?
Shuttle technology is so old and outdated. No one manufactures the parts anymore. Example, the shuttle uses ancient Intel 8086 chips, those are the chips used in IBM's first personal computer (circa 1981).

NASA needs parts no one makes anymore.

So to keep the shuttles flying, the space agency has begun trolling the Internet -- including Yahoo and eBay -- to find replacement parts for electronic gear that would strike a home computer user as primitive.

For Parts, NASA Boldly Goes . . . on eBay - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/us/for-parts-nasa-boldly-goes-on-ebay.html?pagewanted=1 - broken link)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Cause we are poor? The government's spent all our money and we don't have enough for anything else? Where have you been for the last year? We probably will be spending 6 Trillion dollars before some of things are done...
hahaha if that were true, how could government be buying into healthcare and climate control? (sarcasm implied)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
If we developed spy planes during the Cold War that could reach the upper limits of the atmosphere surely we can produce viable craft that can do the same in this day and age..
I'd wager it exists If you consider the SR-71 was engineered with late 50's early 60's tech.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies