U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
Reputation: 4269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
No, you are wrong. The initial title of this thread said just what the title of the article said & it was misworded...Franken did NOT say "you're not entitled"...he said "we're not entitled..."
The very words used to title this thread were in the article. However, I thought I sent that request for some information about forum rules to a moderator and don't think you are one of those.

 
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: just here
1,773 posts, read 1,019,232 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The very words used to title this thread were in the article. However, I thought I sent that request for some information about forum rules to a moderator and don't think you are one of those.
Excuse me? Anyone has a right to respond to anyone else's posts, please refrain from alluding that I do not have that right. Look at the post above yours if you will, the moderator explains it. And again, maybe you should go to the beginning of the thread, see my post where I said the title of the article AND the title of the thread are incorrect...then go & read the article & note that Franken in fact did not use those words that are used in the title of the article & in the title of this thread. Which is WHY the mod changed the title of this thread. Sure, you may think a change in the word "you" to "we" is not a big deal, however it changes the meaning of the whole point of the thread, doesn't it? Why I am explaining this to you, I have no idea. Surely w/your own eyes you can comprehend what the mod & I were trying to say.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The title was changed to reflect the actual words that Senator Franken spoke on the floor of the Senate.

The website from which the link was posted had a headline quite different than the actual words; yellow journalism designed to slant the article and demonize the Senator, but what else is new. We'll start with the actual words and then each of us can slant them as we see fit.

Myself, I see nothing wrong with Franken's words. There is only ONE set of facts to start with; from that common starting point people are free to voice their opinion of the facts and what they see as the meaning in those facts.
But Mike, it seems to me that Franken doesn't agree with you about that. He says only his group is allowed to have opinions about facts. Also, he says this on 12-14-09 and while that may have been truth then, the bill has been changed many times since that day. Opinions formed that day are no longer fact based since Reid has changed the thing so many times since then. i.e., all the sweetheart deals inserted since then and the wording about using super majority to ever even consider repealing or changing the bill. Were those words in there when Franken put on his show? I don't know but doubt they were. They have been found so recently but are sure there now.

Actually, all I wanted was a comment on the forum rules since the very quote for this thread was in there with quotation marks around the words. You just had to look to find them.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 12:10 PM
 
20,913 posts, read 39,201,627 times
Reputation: 19207
The forum rules are that mods rule. We are to exercise best judgement. If we feel thread titles are misleading, erroneous, trolling, baiting, racist, whatever, we are free to close, change, delete, infract, ban or take whatever action is deemed needed.

Anyone who feels a thread title is misleading, erroneous, trolling, baiting, racist, whatever, is free to report it for moderator review.

Consider the matter closed. Please contact me by DM if needed, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Discussions of moderator actions is frowned upon in public forums. People are to take it up with the moderator in question, politely, or with the senior moderators if they wish (yac or markablue).

Everyone please return to discussing the topic.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Excuse me? Anyone has a right to respond to anyone else's posts, please refrain from alluding that I do not have that right. Look at the post above yours if you will, the moderator explains it. And again, maybe you should go to the beginning of the thread, see my post where I said the title of the article AND the title of the thread are incorrect...then go & read the article & note that Franken in fact did not use those words that are used in the title of the article & in the title of this thread. Which is WHY the mod changed the title of this thread. Sure, you may think a change in the word "you" to "we" is not a big deal, however it changes the meaning of the whole point of the thread, doesn't it? Why I am explaining this to you, I have no idea. Surely w/your own eyes you can comprehend what the mod & I were trying to say.
Please read these words taken from the Raw Story story and find that what you say is, indeed, true but what I and the OP is also true as far as that story is concerned.


"Lifetime benefits kick in on day one, and we shouldn't be standing up here with charts to say the exact opposite," Franken said. He also pointed out that "small business tax credits will kick in right away" and the bill closes the doughnut hole for Medicare Part D.

"Facts are stubborn things," he said, repeating: "We are not entitled to our own facts."

Please note that the very words I used in defending the OP are right there from the article and are not trimmed at all.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: just here
1,773 posts, read 1,019,232 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Please read these words taken from the Raw Story story and find that what you say is, indeed, true but what I and the OP is also true as far as that story is concerned.


"Lifetime benefits kick in on day one, and we shouldn't be standing up here with charts to say the exact opposite," Franken said. He also pointed out that "small business tax credits will kick in right away" and the bill closes the doughnut hole for Medicare Part D.

"Facts are stubborn things," he said, repeating: "We are not entitled to our own facts."

Please note that the very words I used in defending the OP are right there from the article and are not trimmed at all.
Clearly you are unable to understand what I & the mod were talking about. I am done trying to explain it.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,847,484 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Amusing is right. He should have stayed with SNL. That's the only place his musings make sense. Who has given him a moral monopoly on facts?
Your statement is patently irrational. Facts are facts Ma'am. Stick with the facts. Whomever is lying can expect to be called out. Kneejerk defense of liars isn't any poli party I care to affiliate with now, or ever.

Perhaps the senate and congressional floors, and concomittantly the american citizenry, would be served best by having fact checkers be the ultimate censors of these speeches meant for debates. A lie told to congress is federal offense. A lie SOLD by congress is not. That could stand to change.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 03:08 PM
 
31 posts, read 35,918 times
Reputation: 21
I feel sorry for Al, he is a comedy writer and he has to now compete with the Republicans and they are nuttier than any of his chariacters he created on SNL.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 13,131,341 times
Reputation: 2285
It is comedic to watch when someone has the audacity to say what needs to be said instead of always doing what is politically correct in these situations.

It's funny because it's unexpected.

So different than, politics as usual.

Franken's not stupid.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,758,301 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Give em hell Al.
Figures that you would support him

Franken is a clown both in political views and appearance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top