Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Do you actually rely upon fiction to draw your philosophy?

Good luck on that.
No one is drawing philosophy from the movie, we're drawing interpretations. And those interpretations have real consequences. Films, art, novels, music, affect you either consciously or subconsciously, whether you're ready to admit that or not.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
No one is drawing philosophy from the movie, we're drawing interpretations. And those interpretations have real consequences. Films, art, novels, music, affect you either consciously or subconsciously, whether you're ready to admit that or not.
I read 1984 and Animal Farm. That of course makes me a communist.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Well does it? I have not seen it as of yet, but from what family members are talking about they believe that it is a movie that speaks to the ongoing power of the white man and how he continues to dominate the world because the other colored people in the world will not stand up and take charge as they should, but without any valuable resources being owned by people of color-how could that happen? Maybe the African Union has an answer to this.

http://mojocincy.com/cincy/raylove/d...t-subtext#more
When you see the movie, you will see that...

Will Heaven of the Telegraph questions why the Na’vi (the blue skinned “natives”) wear African jewelry and dreadlocks and are voiced by Black actors like Zoe Saldana, Laz Alonso and C.C.H. Pounder. “The ethnic Na’vi,” he writes, “need the White man to save them because, as a less developed race, they lack the intelligence and fortitude to overcome their adversaries by themselves.”

...does not apply in the least.

The Na'vi were made to appear much more like 1st Nations people (those on the American continent first), in their dress, language, and warrior soceity customs

Also, the "white man" that is oppressing them is a Corperation, not "whites".

This OpeEd piece also fails, as Coster does not become the "leader" in Dances with Wolves nor "saves the natives from the white man". The author also had District 9 compeltely wrong as well.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
b

Wouldn't being blue depict people of color? By 'people of color' do you mean black people? Are you trying to tell me that you think these folks have typical black features? Boy, that's one heII of a stretch.

- Reel
They look more like felines to me. Cats.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Yes, AVATAR is a racist movie. At least it is more veiled unlike the racist movies from the past like "White Christmas" where everyone is wishing only white people were around on Christmas....

Old 12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Well, I just saw the movie yesterday and I don't personally think that race has any thing to do with it. The simple message is that greed, in the form of international corporations, will destroy the earth and will go on to attempt to destroy anything and anyone else that gets in the way of their profits. The only way race plays a part in the movies is that the corporate warriors attempt to use the fact that the people who live on this other planet look differently and worship differently to prove that it is okay to destroy them. Just as we actually do here on earth.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Yes, AVATAR is a racist movie. At least it is more veiled unlike the racist movies from the past like "White Christmas" where everyone is wishing only white people were around on Christmas....
What makes you think that?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I saw it last night. I wouldn't have called it "racist." It more reminded me of a depiction of Europeans in colonial times driving out the natives of North America, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I am white, of European descent, and am embarrassed by that part of history. And I didn't think of the natives in the movie being any certain race. they are blue and look like cats.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
When you see the movie, you will see that...

Will Heaven of the Telegraph questions why the Na’vi (the blue skinned “natives”) wear African jewelry and dreadlocks and are voiced by Black actors like Zoe Saldana, Laz Alonso and C.C.H. Pounder. “The ethnic Na’vi,” he writes, “need the White man to save them because, as a less developed race, they lack the intelligence and fortitude to overcome their adversaries by themselves.”

...does not apply in the least.

The Na'vi were made to appear much more like 1st Nations people (those on the American continent first), in their dress, language, and warrior soceity customs

Also, the "white man" that is oppressing them is a Corperation, not "whites".

This OpeEd piece also fails, as Coster does not become the "leader" in Dances with Wolves nor "saves the natives from the white man". The author also had District 9 compeltely wrong as well.
I agree wholeheartedly. People seem to blow things out of proportion for whatever reason..

The movie is almost 100% a representation of what happened to the Native Americans. Just replace the "sky people" with "ship people" and you have a perfect representation of corporate expansionism in the American West (in search of gold) with the culmination at the Battle of Little Big Horn, which historically was an arrogantly over-confident Custer against a coalition of several tribes of Native Americans. The battle was lost but the result was a surge in military presence that eventually lead to wiping out the rest of the tribes and putting survivors on Reservations.

More historical examples of a real Avatar plot would be the British vs. the Zulu in Africa or the Aborigine in Australia, the French vs. the Vietnamese, or the original settlers vs. the Iroquois in the Northeastern portion of our country.

From what I interpreted, the movie had little to do with race and more to do with historic context projected onto a futuristic film.

What bothered me more was the fact that the movie takes place in 2154ish, it takes 5+ years to travel to Pandora from Earth, and somehow humans have established a sprawling colony with tons of facilities and mineral extraction sites. It would take many decades to even seek out and find a planet that takes 5 years to travel to, not to mention to explore, test, and experiment on (10+ years roundtrip). The logistics and communications lag would be so significant that we would need to discover a planet in this day and age before we could hope to establish any sort of permanent presence on a far away planet in the next 200 years. We first began probing Mars years ago and still have not gotten past the preliminary exploration stages and it is only a few weeks away at its closest point and a minimum of 20 minutes each way for communications, try translating that to a location 5 light-years away. Just a pet peeve of mine as a general fan of the sci-fi genre. Do not even get me started on the impossibility of a stable life-sustaining planet orbiting a gas giant.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Sounds like it is a critique of Western Society and unfortunately it is still relevant!! The blue people have wide noses and full lips which depicts people of color I would say. A Modern Day Pocahontas based on some reviews from the critics.

All of the actors who portrayed the major "good guys" in the movie were black/Latin/of color. Hmmmm................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies