Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:25 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times

Advertisements

I work with ghetto children in my old neighborhood as a mentor. I mentor them, help in their academics, basically I drop knowledge on them. I figure if I keep one ghetto kid from getting involved in the streets, I've done my job. There's so many hurting inner city kids out there that I felt it's my obligation to try and show them a better way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:55 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I started volunteering as a firefighter and EMT in my rural town over 40 years ago. I've since moved to an urban area where my firefighting passion lead to a career in same. Now I'm retired from my career and back to being a volunteer firefighter where I average about 50 hour per week at the firehouse.
One piece of advice I give to the yutes following the same path; Don't forget your roots.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
When I purge my old crap from the house it goes to Salvation Army. At least the stuff that doesn’t sell.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I'm a member of Guardians of the Children. We are an organization fighting child abuse, providing support, education and intervention between abusers and their victims.

Guardians of the Children

Previously I was a volunteer firefighter and first responder.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I go to a senior home as often as I can and play piano to entertain the old folks. I play songs from the 20's - 50's that they all know by heart. They are so grateful to me, but I'm grateful to them. They thank me each time I go, and clap after every song. They need all the stimulation they can get as their days are very routine.

I'm self-employed but sales are down, and I do have time on my hands. There is no commitment or schedule for doing this, so it feels more like fun to me. When I first began, I completely underestimated how much elderly people need music to liven them up, especially songs they know from when they were teenagers!

I admire you for working with kids with disabilities. It can't be easy, but you are bringing sunshine to their lives!

That's neat!

I wish I had a talent like that.

Me?

I check expiration dates and sort packaged food items at a food bank.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
30 years: Scout leader.
15 years: School volunteer.

Volunteering has been a big part of my adult life. I began when I was a young married with a local Boy Scout troop, and I was one of the first women to do so in our area. I had married an Eagle Scout who never ceased
being involved, and it just kind of grew naturally from our relationship. I taught merit badges and helped lead backpacking trips. Once I had my own children, I moved into more of a background position planning events but not necessarily participating directly.

From the time my kids were very little, I loved volunteering at school and still do so even with two off to college and another soon on the way. I have created bulletin boards, worked with early readers, planned craft projects, accompanied field trips, shelved books in the library, fed teachers on staff appreciation days, worked in the school bookstore, and sold tickets for sporting events, among many other large and small tasks.

It's been a fun time all the way through, and I've enjoyed feeling connected to my community through volunteer opportunities.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Children's hospital and VA hospital.

I know how to cut the perfect military hairstyle.When I was in college, I worked part time at an all girl hair salon (serving only the Marines. I cut veteran hair for free in the VA hospital sometimes. We also feed the homeless, talk to the veterans suffer from PTSD; pick them up, drop them of, etc.

I think volunteering demonstrates my commitment to the community and a willingness to work for the betterment of others. It is a very important part of my adult life.

add: Several friends of mine are LAPD police officers. They introduced me to the Search and Rescue Volunteering opportunity. Basically, they are Volunteers that work alongside Search and Rescue Reserve Deputies, which are highly trained and were formed to function as the Sheriff Department's official emergency response unit, providing services to residents who become stranded, lost, or injured in remote areas.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-16-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Several years ago, before I retired and became lazy, I was involved in an after school mentoring/tutoring program for kids in a public housing project. It was working with 1st grade to HS students to help them with homework assignments and provide some guidance on science, math, reading and writing subjects between the time they arrived home and their parents returned from work.

These were the "working poor" families we hear about. In many cases, both parents worked at minimum wage type jobs and arrived home on buses, since they couldn't even afford a vehicle.

It was an eye opener and made me appreciate my own childhood that was far from privileged, but much more comfortable than what these families experience.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I help my friend's daughter, three or so evenings a week, study for her college courses. She's smart, but it helps to have someone review with her. I used to work in publishing, so I proof read all of her papers for punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc. I find the courses fascinating (especially psychology) and am learning a lot myself. Of course, when they ask me to dinner, I never turn it down...or if they give me a present of a bottle of vodka once in a while. She was struggling last year, but now she's made the dean's list...that made me very proud of her!

Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I make children's rocking chairs and donate them to Toys for Tots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies