U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,763,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
It happened on a Friday. She knew he was upset about something, but he didn't tell my sister until the kid continued to call him the name. So by the time they made it to the principal, he stated that to much time had passed since the incident. Which really p/o my sister because the time lapse was the teachers fault. That's why she wants to go to the school board.

Ok so the kid called him it on Friday, then again when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM

99 posts, read 130,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
So now the teacher is responsible for interpreting "tones"? The teacher didn't even hear the name calling to begin with.

Maybe it's a good lesson for these kids to think about whether they should really tolerate the practice of calling each other derogatory names, and if they think it's so wonderful and great, then they have to pay the price sometimes of having it hurt. Deciding when it's a term of endearment and when it's offensive is too subjective and ripe for misunderstanding.

Again wrong. I'm not talking about these kids. I'm asking about my nephew. He does not use the word in any form.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I already said she was upset with them, too.

Yes but you have not said anything about your sister demanding this kid be dealt with. Only the teacher.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,352,409 times
Quote:
Again wrong. I'm not talking about these kids. I'm asking about my nephew. He does not use the word in any form.
My mistake.

Good for your nephew. I'm glad to hear that.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,872,274 times
How old is your nephew? Can he handle himself if this turns violent with the other kid when he is suspended? (or is your sister only interested in going after the teacher?) Can he handle being ostracized for ratting out someone using a word that is unfortunately sometimes used as a term of endearment in the black community?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,098,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As a party to an interracial marriage for many years, I can tell you that 'condescenscion' can be every bit as insulting and annoying as outright racism; it's just 'nicer'. Either the "n word" is totally forbidden, or it's not; either it's a hateful racial slur, or it's not; it can't be 'both'.

To imply that "you shouldn't MIND being slurred by another of your own race", is equivalent to saying, "you people PROBABLY talk that way to each other all the time". It's insulting and it's a terrible mistake on the part of the teacher.

I'm no big fan of 'zero tolerance', (I'd much prefer common sense). But if you're going to use zero tolerance, then ZERO means ZERO....and the "n" word should be penalized, regardless of who uses it....to excuse 'bad' behavior because the culprit 'probably doesn't know any better', on the basis of race, is every bit as racist as the 'normal' racism of 'cracking down' on people because of race.
You've said everything I was going to say so I will just add my endorsement of your message.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok so the kid called him it on Friday, then again when?

Last Monday in the cafeteria, twice that same week in that teachers class. They went to the principal Thursday.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Last Monday in the cafeteria, twice that same week in that teachers class. They went to the principal Thursday.
Well then the principal is wrong and should be dealt with. What is your sister demanding happen to the kid?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Well then the principal is wrong and should be dealt with. What is your sister demanding happen to the kid?

At first she only asked that he at least get a detention. However, after a lack of action on everyone's part, she wants him suspended. That is the rule after three infractions.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 PM

The reason I didn't talk about the other kid was because he deserves to get punished. My post was about the teacher. My sister is upset with everyone. Principal, teacher, child's parents, and child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or