U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,265,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Some rich guy will pay for it which will work until there is no rich guys left.
Then we will tax the rich girls! TAX the RICH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I am so tired of hearing this "liberal" comparison. Do you have any individual thinking skills at all? Our present system looks bad on the surface, on the outside, on the inside, and everywhere in between. We need to make our citizens a PRIORITY and that means Universal Health Care.
Wouldn't you really rather pay for WARS??

Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This is an interesting article on the French system and how it compares to the US one. It is two years old so pre-dates the current debate.

The French Lesson In Health Care
The French system is vastly superior as is Germany's system.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 9 days ago)

18,814 posts, read 12,127,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
when dealing with American health insurance companies.

AMERICAblog News: My whopping $32 emergency room visit in the land of socialized medicine

An emergency room visit that cost $32 books in France... How nice! People in this country can empty out their bank account with one visit to the ER.

In the end, he would pay about $172 versus 800 in the U.S. How freakin' nice!

I don't understand your point. The insurer will ask for a breakdown of the cost on ANY vist, regardless of how much. Be thankful that your private insurance (Blue Cross is great) will cover you anywhere in the world. If you were on a european socialized plan and needed coverage in another country, you would be screwed. Your plan is a little better than you think. Generally, if something is less than my co-pay, I just pay for it out of pocket. You should probably do the same thing. Insurance is not meant for everything to be "free", as copays help contain costs.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:36 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,133,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And ours' isn't? What are we spending on wars - 600 Billion a year and we still pay through the kazoo for health care, not to mention they have nuclear power. Give me a break.
I see that you don't know who has been most against nuclear power construction in the US for over 30 years. Maybe you need to look up that little part.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,133,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The French system is vastly superior as is Germany's system.
Are you talking about healthcare or who pays for it? Just wondering.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:41 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,755,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The small country of France is losing $12B a year on their health care system. Take that times about 40 for the US and then throw in a large illegal alien population.

Population of France is around 60 million.
Population of the US is around 300 million.

300/60 = 5

You'll forgive me if I don't assume that the rest of your math is correct

Old 12-25-2009, 04:47 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,103,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't understand your point. The insurer will ask for a breakdown of the cost on ANY vist, regardless of how much. Be thankful that your private insurance (Blue Cross is great) will cover you anywhere in the world. If you were on a european socialized plan and needed coverage in another country, you would be screwed. Your plan is a little better than you think. Generally, if something is less than my co-pay, I just pay for it out of pocket. You should probably do the same thing. Insurance is not meant for everything to be "free", as copays help contain costs.
Exactly!

I've never understood why people understand that with homeowner's and car insurance deductibles but don't understand it when it comes to health insurance. Too many people think that because they have insurance they are "entitled" to free healthcare for everything beyond the cost of their premium and a low office visit co-pay.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:28 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,356,310 times
Quote:
1 a : rule by a despot b : despotic exercise of power
2 a : a system of government in which the ruler has unlimited power : absolutism b : a despotic state
despotism - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
The greatest evil is not done now in those sordid `dens of crime' that Dickens loved to paint. It is not even done in concentration camps and labor camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried and minuted) in clear, carpeted, warmed, and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice.
~C.S. Lewis~

Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,356,310 times
Quote:
“Above these men stands an immense and protective power which alone is responsible for looking after their enjoyments and watching over their destiny. It is absolute, meticulous, ordered, provident, and kindly disposed. It would be like a fatherly authority, if fatherlike, its aim were to prepare men for manhood, but it seeks only to keep them in perpetual childhood….”
~Alexis-Charles-Henri Clérel de Tocqueville~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies