U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy that the Senate has passed the health care bill?
Yes 19 19.79%
No 65 67.71%
Not sure 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,222 posts, read 13,977,359 times

Advertisements

the senate bill will screw the middleclass, ie the workingclass, especially union workers will good plans (what our lovely leaders are now calling cadilac plans)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:25 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,267,250 times
It will help a great number of people. Yes, it will help the insurance companies get new customers. But there is a little caveat some people are missing in this. Those Ins. Cos. that participate in the exchange program will be required to establish rates where 80-85% of premiums collected must be spent on direct expenditures on care of the policy holders. In other words, those companies, if they want to be in the exchange program, will no longer be able to take 30% or more off the top.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 AM

5,398 posts, read 6,874,893 times
This bill became far too complicated with too mny loopholes, too many bribes, and too much selling out to insurance companies and big pharma.

What actaully was accomplished, dictating what percentage of premium must be spent on patient care could have been done and elimination of pre existing conditions could have been done without all of the other pork.
Remember that premium RATES haven't been contained, so affordability will still be an issue for many people despite this monstrosity of a bill.
Also, states will have further budget issues to the mandatory placement of more people on Mediaid (unless of course you are Nebraska)

Old 12-24-2009, 07:08 AM

4,831 posts, read 6,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
This bill became far too complicated with too mny loopholes, too many bribes, and too much selling out to insurance companies and big pharma.

What actually was accomplished, dictating what percentage of premium must be spent on patient care could have been done and elimination of pre existing conditions could have been done without all of the other pork.
Remember that premium RATES haven't been contained, so affordability will still be an issue for many people despite this monstrosity of a bill.
Also, states will have further budget issues to the mandatory placement of more people on Mediaid (unless of course you are Nebraska)

I have read the bill (as much as I could take) and I think whatever comes out as a compromise between the House and Senate will be so flawed that it will do little good for the people that need it. I hate to say it but the insurance companies will make the best of it and take advantage of the loopholes to their advantage. It will insure some people, punish many who have chosen not to get insurance because they can't afford it and create another group of taxes that will hurt our fragile economy.

This is a win for the insurance companies, a few states but that is about it. Sad that this is about the best the Democrat party could do having all the control needed to so whatever they wanted to do. It just proves once again that they all should be voted out until there are no incumbents left.

blowoutcongress.com

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM

62,647 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
they did no such thing...that bill had NOTHING to do with health CARE. insurance is not care
Tell that to the hospital next time they ask for your insurance card.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That has always been the case.

I don't usually support such measures, but it takes a weight off my shoulders knowing that I won't have to sell the house and 401K to pay for medical bills when the insurcnace cap is reached. I also like the removal of pre-existing conditions clause and the insurance exchange idea.

Now that the bill has passed and if they pass it again in the house, I think people will be happy with it once the misinfo and anti-HC bill propaganda melts away and people realize what the bill does for people and businesses.
I like the part I bolded too, but does the bill keep the insurance companies from charging you as much as they want for it?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Tell that to the hospital next time they ask for your insurance card.
my hospital asks who the "responsible party" is

personal responsibility is the key

Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I like the part I bolded too, but does the bill keep the insurance companies from charging you as much as they want for it?
I think the insurance exchange will boost competition, which will result in more options and better and cheaper plans, and you'll be able to find good deals with pre-existing conditions.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
my hospital asks who the "responsible party" is

personal responsibility is the key
I see. Well, mine just asks for the insurance card. As a matter of fact I know they all do

Of course the 'personal responsibility' requirement will be satisfied with this bill, because now everyone will be responsible for having insurance and can't just walk into ER to demand free service.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
nope.....

its just like car INSURANCE,,, you have a lot of tickets/accidents....and you will pay through the nose...or get dropped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies