Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He tried like hell to get a public option, but it doesn't look like that will be part of the package. What would you have had him do differently? He's not a dictator.

He didn't promise to get us out of the war in Afghanistan, although I wish he would have. There is a timetable to get out of both the war in Iraq and in Afghanistan.
That timetable will come and go. I will wager anything that in 3 years, the wars will still be going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
See thats what gets me also. Why dont you blame the dnc of fear mongering also?

I believe telling the country that if we dont pass this stimulus we might not ever recover. Then telling the country that if we dont pass his healthcare bill it will bankrupt the country is trying to use fear to pass his policies.

Obama is using fear of doom to get support for his policies how is that not using fear?

I believe Obama ran on being fiscal with our money also. DIdnt he say something about pay he he went. So much for that
How many Americans, does the President still think are still on the turnip truck and haven't figured out THIS COUNTRY IS ALREADY BANKRUPT PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN?

When I heard that statement from the President about how the country would go bankrupt if the unconstitutional health care bill wasn't passed was pretty lame. I thought most everyone has already figured out that the bank bailouts and the stimulous bill and the continuing printing of dollars by the Fed to devalue the dollar was enough to push the country so far into bankruptcy that we'd never be able to pay it back months ago and that we'd been bankrupt for some time. At THAT point wasn't it something like $300k that every man woman and child in this country would need to repay to once again balance the budget???? And what has Congress been doing to please the president since then? They've been spending more and more and more money even though they know we'll never pay it back ! How responsible is that?

WHEN ARE WE, the American voter and taxpayer GOING TO DISALLOW any more spending of our money by Congress and all agree ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

How many people in this forum who think all of this spending is fine have $600k per person in the family to pay back for all the spending on stupid expensive government programs and bank bailouts and still have money left? HMMMMM? I bet very few.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

631 posts, read 720,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The definition of TAX...

tax

 –noun 1. a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc. 2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.
–verb (used with object) 3. (of a government) a. to demand a tax from (a person, business, etc.). b. to demand a tax in consideration of the possession or occurrence of (income, goods, sales, etc.), usually in proportion to the value of money involved.

A cigarette tax would fall under a luxury tax. Obama was talking about taxes that you HAVE to play like income tax. You guys are really grasping at straws.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
That timetable will come and go. I will wager anything that in 3 years, the wars will still be going.
Quote:
Gen. David Petraeus: “There’s no timeline, no ramp, nothing like that.” [Fox News Sunday]

National Security Adviser James Jones: “It is not a cliff. It is a glide slope. And so certainly, the President has also said we are not leaving Afghanistan.” [CNN State of the Union]

Defense Secretary Robert Gates: “Well, first of all, I don’t consider this an exit strategy. And I try to avoid using that term. I think this is a transition.” [ABC This Week]

On Meet the Press, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “We’re not talking about an exit strategy or a drop dead deadline.” Gates added, “We will have a significant — we will have 100,000 forces — troops there. And they are not leaving — in July of 2011.”

Jones also told the BBC, “In no manner, shape or form is the United States leaving Afghanistan in 2011.” Afghan President Hamid Karzai is also making a push to soften the timetable. He told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour that “if it takes longer [than 2011], they must be with us.”

Notably, Vice President Joe Biden — who was reportedly a skeptic of the escalation strategy — did not appear on political talk shows to tout the new strategy. Biden did sign his name to an e-mail sent to Obama supporters last week saying he believes it is a “focused strategy that can succeed.”

Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
OH...but Obama PROMISED a timetable in his campaign.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
People when are you going to realize that Bush and Obama are really on the same team. You are the one's on opposite teams as planned by the Puppet Master.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
http://www.jct.gov/publications.html...5df5&no_html=1

Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
So by your logic.... I make less then 250,000 a year and I don't smoke. So he didn't lie to me

So because it doesn't directly affect you, it is moot?

Nice.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
They'll start crying when their grocery prices start rising, gas prices go up, their electric bills more than double, milk is double in price, etc....
THE SKY IS FALLING! Hint: hasn't happened yet!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what i would have liked was aside from the presidential election was a lil bit more participation in the democratic process. just 1 question did you email your rep and senator to say
kill the bill?
i did and have been asking CDF posters to do the same for weeks, did they?
congress does not read CDF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies