U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:26 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,347,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The self-righteous welfare statists in the suburbs can feel warm moments of satisfaction for having elected a black person. So, toast yourselves: 60s countercultural radicals, 80s yuppies and 90s bourgeois bohemians. Toast yourselves, Black America. Shout your glee Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, Stanford, and Berkeley. You have elected not an individual who is qualified to be president, but a black man who, like the pragmatist Franklin Roosevelt, promises to – Do Something! You now have someone who has picked up the baton of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society. But you have also foolishly traded your freedom and mine – what little there is left – for the chance to feel good. There is nothing in me that can share your happy obliviousness.
No He Can't by Anne Wortham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 51,173 times
Roysoldboy...Facts just confuse some people..

BigJon3475 ... Great.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 10,685,273 times
The tax code should not be used for social engineering. You can avoid the excise tax on cigarettes in most states by buying the tobacco and cigarette paper seperately.As w c fields was on his deathbed a friend visiting him noticed he was reading the bible and asked him if he was getting religion his reply was no just looking for loopholes. Just look for loophles in our tax codes they are there.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,347,414 times
The Mob v The Elite

Quote:
You can be one of two: the valiant protesters campaigning against more socialization, or the liberal thugs that attack and intimidate the protesters. Support limited government or support politicians and bureaucrats who apparently find the right to protest reprehensible. You can go to Town Hall meetings asking why the American people are not being represented in Washington, or you can send letters to the president on “fishy” opposition. You decide.
Quote:
A U.S. State Department official says "Iran is increasingly showing itself to be a police state" in its harsh treatment of opposition protesters.
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-80050167.html

Ironic, you say?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,718,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Because third parties are as useless as **** on a boar. They take up valuable space and oxygen. Nobody gives a rip, because they're almost always far the Right or far to the Left.
Yep....and today's Democratic Party is soooo far left they have fallen into oblivion....or will be there, soon enough.

We NEED a viable third party, but like other posters here have said......it's far too easy to let many, many votes just GO....down the toilet for voting anything other than Dem or Pub!
It's BS that the voters are either forced to vote Dem or Pub. (choosing the lesser of 2 evils) to have their vote COUNT.....or WASTE a perfectly good vote on a third party candidate.....even if it may be obvious that this 3rd party candidate would be BEST for ALL Americans.
It's a rigged game......nothing more, and the Electoral College IS a HUGE part of the problem, IMHO.
Special interests and lobbyists are an even a bigger problem though....along with our allowing career politicians to plop in their seat and never leave 'til they die.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:36 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,540,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
Do you have a link? Or are you gonna avoid the truth as usual?

All the broken promises I see are here. No mention of no taxes of any kind

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Obama's Campaign Promises that are Promise Broken
did you not watch the candidates in their debates for the election? Perhaps you were not listening to their speeches?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,848,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I voted for Obama. I bought into the "change" hype.

I am admitting I was wrong. So far, there are two major lies. First, getting out of the war. Second, I could swear that he said that he was "not going to sign any healthcare bill that didn't have a public option." What other lies have surfaced?

As for the war, I would like to see it over. And for the healthcare measure, it doesn't bother me because I already have coverage. The problem is that he LIED. The biggest problem is that McCain would have been the same way. I will be voting third party next time. I am sick of the lies, lies and more lies. I just can't believe I let myself buy into the Obama hype.

I do admire you, for admitting this fact. But at least you WOKE UP, Do you know how many just won't accept what is happening here, or should i say know how many excuses are out there, why it is the way it is There favorite line Bush, so old, so tiring, and oh such a boring friggin line. Seem so conveient.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,259,177 times
Yeah, but what was the other choice? McCain/Palin. No thanks. The problem was that once again it was a choice between the lesser of two evils, that is all the two party system represents. That's why I am encouraging people to register as independents. Some argue that then you have no representation....sorry, but you have no representation now, so you might as well lose the party label.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Yeah, but what was the other choice? McCain/Palin. No thanks. The problem was that once again it was a choice between the lesser of two evils, that is all the two party system represents. That's why I am encouraging people to register as independents. Some argue that then you have no representation....sorry, but you have no representation now, so you might as well lose the party label.
There is always another choice besides Dem or Repub and there's write-in.

I didn't vote either Dem or Repub and I do consider that my voted counted..it counted for who I felt would have been a good President.

"The lesser of two evils" is just a cop out like "We only have two parties".
Well it's about time we change that..but only a majority vote can do that.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM

270 posts, read 582,307 times
I can't wait until the lines a mile long start forming for the rationed health care. I wonder if racial preferences will be given as a form of affirmitive action? Perhaps, you won't get a kidney because European or Asian Americans are overrepresented in the +70 department? I sure hope no one here (or their aging relatives) has to face a death panel anytime soon. Then again, with the rate of terrorism occurring since Obama took office, you might not live long enough to ever use obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies