U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 PM

12,359 posts, read 7,702,298 times

Advertisements

Today my senator sent me this link to the current health care bill resource center. It seems to cover all the bases, if you dig on the site deep enough. and it's in plain, non-lawyer language.

Health Insurance Reform Online Resource Center (http://stabenow.senate.gov/healthcare/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:03 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,775,908 times
Quote:
Does Anybody - Including Our Senators - Really Know What This Health Bill Means?
Just the parts that explain the payoffs and bribes that pertain to them.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:22 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,094,961 times
WINNERS

DRUGMAKERS

* The pharmaceutical industry kept intact its $80 billion agreement with the Senate Finance Committee to provide savings and rebates, including a $2.3 billion annual industry fee to be parceled out among companies such as Pfizer Inc and Merck & Co Inc. Wider insurance coverage could help offset the costs by providing more potential customers.

* Drug companies overcame an attempt to allow consumers to import cheaper medicines from other countries such as Canada. Senators rejected two related amendments.

* Drugmakers also avoided House bill provisions calling for bigger rebates under the government's low-income Medicaid insurance program and price negotiations in the Medicare program for the elderly.

* However, top Senate Democrats aim to eliminate a gap in Medicare's prescription drug coverage known as the "doughnut hole." While the Senate bill calls for a 50 percent reduction in the gap, senators said they will seek more changes during negotiations with the House, which wants to eliminate the entire gap by 2019.

* The bill also creates a stronger Independent Medicare Advisory Board to recommend Medicare payments for private drug insurance plans, which could in turn impact prescription drug usage.

DEVICE MAKERS

* Medical device makers such as Boston Scientific and Medtronic Inc earlier won a big reduction in an industry tax to $20 billion, down from $40 billion, to conform with the House bill.

* Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's amendment offered on Saturday also delayed the tax by a year until 2011. Device makers had sought to eliminate the tax and are now pushing for a delay until 2013.

HOSPITALS

* Hospitals, including companies such as Universal Health Services Inc and Tenet Healthcare Corp, retained a $155 billion, 10-year deal accepting lower government payments from Medicare and Medicaid in exchange for what the industry hopes will be a boost in insured customers.

* The industry also kept an exemption from the Independent Medicare Advisory Board, insulating it from recommended future payment cuts from the panel.

BRAND BIOLOGIC DRUGMAKERS

* Amgen Inc and Roche's Genentech unit and other biological drugmakers won a 12-year period of exclusive sales for brand-name drugs before facing competition from generic rivals.

* The bill calls for creating user fees that generic biologic drugmakers would pay to the FDA to review their products. This could put them on par with brand-name biologic drugmakers but keep some generic companies from pursuing rival products. Traditional generic drugmakers do not currently face such fees though they are under consideration.

* The bill would reimburse doctors 6 percent more for using generic biologic drugs over costly, branded ones. That could affect their use among the tens of millions of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

COSMETIC PRODUCT MAKERS

* Reid's amendment dropped a 5 percent tax on elective cosmetic procedures such as Botox injections to smooth wrinkles, breast enlargements and tummy tucks that could have cut sales for companies such as Allergan Inc and Johnson & Johnson's Mentor unit. The bill instead levies a 10 percent tax on consumers who use indoor tanning salons to raise $2.7 billion by 2019.

to me, this looks like it isn't going to help most americans and certainly shows the government playing favorites with big business yet again. too bad for the tanning salon industry and the people who patronize them.

i think americans are getting tired of this.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:51 AM

955 posts, read 1,950,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Today my senator sent me this link to the current health care bill resource center. It seems to cover all the bases, if you dig on the site deep enough. and it's in plain, non-lawyer language.

Health Insurance Reform Online Resource Center (http://stabenow.senate.gov/healthcare/ - broken link)
The resource is an overview of the mission statement for what change should look like. There are many very specific questions that many of us have that are not covered, and could not be, in a fairly short narrative.

I studied a very detailed analysis that indicated a young person in a company with mostly young people could have rates increased to subsidize older workers at companies with older populations. That does not seem to be consistent with the reference guide simply saying "If you like what you have you can keep it".

Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 AM

9,327 posts, read 10,110,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I question any bill passed by congress that has a " last minute" amendment added that is over 300 pages.

Heck, I worked over 29 years at union jobs and our 25 page union contract took over 2 weeks for the lawyers on both sides to read it carefully and make sure there weren't loopholes before it was signed.

Yet, a bill this complicated and over 1,000 pages must be voted on in a short time ?
This legislation has been floating around since the Clinton Administration. Its opponents using words like ,last minute, moving too fast and back room deals are being disingenuous

Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,239,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

Thank you, very good link!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,239,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
The resource is an overview of the mission statement for what change should look like. There are many very specific questions that many of us have that are not covered, and could not be, in a fairly short narrative.

I studied a very detailed analysis that indicated a young person in a company with mostly young people could have rates increased to subsidize older workers at companies with older populations. That does not seem to be consistent with the reference guide simply saying "If you like what you have you can keep it".
Here's another link you can look at.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/he...r.html?_r=1&hp

Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 AM

21,269 posts, read 14,211,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Everybody is enjoying a good screaming match about this new Health Care Bill the Senate passed this morning.

Some people stand on either extreme, while most people are somewhere in the middle.

But what strikes me is that NOBODY seems to know exactly what this Health Care Bill entails, what it will do, what it will cost, and what it will mean for our Health Care industry.

Furthermore, our Senators don't even seem to have a clue.

So what gives? Do any of you know exactly what it will and won't do?

It's costs, and what it will do, is no secret. What is a secret is what were the reasons the Republicans, right to a person less one Senator, opposed this unequivocally without offering any alternative plan.

What do they pay those old white guys to do, anyway? Just go to Washington to shoot down any legislation that benefits the American voter who put them there?

The party of NO

Old 12-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Boy, you said a mouthful. The country is running record deficits, the dollar's value is plummeting, foreign countries are beginning to balk at buying our treasuries, and yet we've just pushed through a new sweeping bit of health legislation that is evidently so complex, so expensive, and so riddled with pork that nobody truly understands the dimension of the thing. What's more, Congress has voted it through despite the fact that the majority of the American people had turned against the legislation. I vote independent, but I can guarantee that the 2010 mid-terms are going to be a bloodletting for the Democrats.
Better first consider all the money the Republican party spent on all their wars and also consider all the jobs lost during the Bush era (most ever)

Yea, there is a reason that Republicans are a MINORITY party, and the irony is they are all white guys, and dont represent a single minority.

The party of NO also has NO IDEAS OR SOLUTIONS

Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Well, it's such a good deal for us that our politicians don't want any part of it for themselves.

What does that tell you?

Our politicians enjoy SOCIALIZED HEALTHCARE, the kind they just denied Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or