Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,571,277 times

Advertisements

Everybody is enjoying a good screaming match about this new Health Care Bill the Senate passed this morning.

Some people stand on either extreme, while most people are somewhere in the middle.

But what strikes me is that NOBODY seems to know exactly what this Health Care Bill entails, what it will do, what it will cost, and what it will mean for our Health Care industry.

Furthermore, our Senators don't even seem to have a clue.

So what gives? Do any of you know exactly what it will and won't do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,951,888 times
Boy, you said a mouthful. The country is running record deficits, the dollar's value is plummeting, foreign countries are beginning to balk at buying our treasuries, and yet we've just pushed through a new sweeping bit of health legislation that is evidently so complex, so expensive, and so riddled with pork that nobody truly understands the dimension of the thing. What's more, Congress has voted it through despite the fact that the majority of the American people had turned against the legislation. I vote independent, but I can guarantee that the 2010 mid-terms are going to be a bloodletting for the Democrats.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,205,030 times
This is my understanding: you will buy health insurance or you will be fined. The only people who are covered in this are the insurance companies.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM

522 posts, read 1,401,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Everybody is enjoying a good screaming match about this new Health Care Bill the Senate passed this morning.

Some people stand on either extreme, while most people are somewhere in the middle.

But what strikes me is that NOBODY seems to know exactly what this Health Care Bill entails, what it will do, what it will cost, and what it will mean for our Health Care industry.

Furthermore, our Senators don't even seem to have a clue.

So what gives? Do any of you know exactly what it will and won't do?
I don't understand it either. It's still in progress (unless the Senate is done with it and I just missed that news) so I don't know where all this hype is coming from. I found a copy of the House's version and tried to read it myself. I got down to page 10 and called it quits. I believe it was over 1000 pages long.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 PM

25,278 posts, read 18,419,650 times
Yeah, I know what it means. I can't use that kind of language here though.

Great Christmas gift, huh? I've expressed it in cartoon form in my profile pics.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM

12,885 posts, read 13,552,917 times
The only thing IMO and I mean the only thing the bill was to accomplish was to remove the pre-existing condition clause out of insurance policies. That was a humongous loop hole, and bamboozle that the insurance industry has perpetrated on the American people forever. Too bad the industry gambled their golden goose and will loose a lot more now.
lets face it after a certain age we all will have a pre-existing condition. that's what aging is all about.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,857,015 times
it's so punishing to the insurance industry that their stocks are rising on the news of passage. they must be confused!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,372,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Boy, you said a mouthful. The country is running record deficits, the dollar's value is plummeting, foreign countries are beginning to balk at buying our treasuries, and yet we've just pushed through a new sweeping bit of health legislation that is evidently so complex, so expensive, and so riddled with pork that nobody truly understands the dimension of the thing. What's more, Congress has voted it through despite the fact that the majority of the American people had turned against the legislation. I vote independent, but I can guarantee that the 2010 mid-terms are going to be a bloodletting for the Democrats.

cpg35223; Boy you said a mouthful, but true. Congress can care less that the American People have turned against the legislation, they had an agenda to meet, and by gosh, they wanted nothing more then to meet it, but at who's expense in the long run.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,112,116 times
I question any bill passed by congress that has a " last minute" amendment added that is over 300 pages.

Heck, I worked over 29 years at union jobs and our 25 page union contract took over 2 weeks for the lawyers on both sides to read it carefully and make sure there weren't loopholes before it was signed.

Yet, a bill this complicated and over 1,000 pages must be voted on in a short time ?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 PM

20,222 posts, read 19,779,228 times
Well, it's such a good deal for us that our politicians don't want any part of it for themselves.

What does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies