U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:15 AM
 
32,554 posts, read 16,657,865 times
Reputation: 17502

Advertisements

On Christmas day? Really? This is the day to get stuck up on the fact that there's a $1.84 monthly charge so those less well off can get some sort of phone service?

I guess I should be surprised, but I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,019 posts, read 36,675,387 times
Reputation: 38660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It is so apt that you used the word "GOD" in your hate filled rant about the poor.

Yes, screaming about them and all their "luxuries' sure does make you feel better than them.

You are being so raped/scammed/robbed blind by Insurance/banking/financial industry that you just have to take your anger on those you don't fear????

Or you're unaware of how the wealthy of this country are ripping you off?

Or you are but are so afraid/worship as Gods the powerful you don't raise your voice??

Is it better to have those with everything they could want and much more rip you off....????

OH BTW....Merry CHRISTmas !!!!! You jolly old elf!
So what's your point or argument ? Or do you just like to call names without offering something to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 AM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,570,031 times
Reputation: 5930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So what's your point or argument ? Or do you just like to call names without offering something to discuss.
I hardly think "jolly old elf' will qualify as a naughty name...


AND since you didn't bother to read the REST of the post , I asked questions....that's part of discussion.....



My point was quite clear .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:35 AM
 
32,554 posts, read 16,657,865 times
Reputation: 17502
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Did you know there is a government supported program to give low income people free cell phones and airtime?
The program for supplying low-income people with telephony services was instituted under Reagan. And it's not supported by the government.

It comes out of the Universal Service Fund - a fund whose main purpose it is to see to it that less-densely populated areas get phone service. Because it costs fortunes to string cables to every remote farmhouse - it's a horrible business proposition to sell phone service outside the cities. Yet clear-sighted politicians forced the phone companies to do so, for the greater good.

So here's today's happy thought: Keeping the boot-strappy farmers and oh-so-self-reliant rural dwellers on the communications grid is orders of a magnitude more expensive than providing cheap cell-phones with limited minutes to the urban poor. Yet, for some weird reason, I hear no self-righteous griping about that. Wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,526 posts, read 7,219,414 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I hardly think "jolly old elf' will qualify as a naughty name...


AND since you didn't bother to read the REST of the post , I asked questions....that's part of discussion.....



My point was quite clear .
LOl those were not questions with the intent of furthering discussion, and your intent was clear. You wanted to promote your position while offering rhetorical ask-and-answered questions under the guise of trying to be "constructive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,526 posts, read 7,219,414 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The program for supplying low-income people with telephony services was instituted under Reagan. And it's not supported by the government.

It comes out of the Universal Service Fund - a fund whose main purpose it is to see to it that less-densely populated areas get phone service. Because it costs fortunes to string cables to every remote farmhouse - it's a horrible business proposition to sell phone service outside the cities. Yet clear-sighted politicians forced the phone companies to do so, for the greater good.

So here's today's happy thought: Keeping the boot-strappy farmers and oh-so-self-reliant rural dwellers on the communications grid is orders of a magnitude more expensive than providing cheap cell-phones with limited minutes to the urban poor. Yet, for some weird reason, I hear no self-righteous griping about that. Wonder why.
So this is about supplying telecommunications to people in less densely populated and rural areas because of the cost issue associated with improving the telecommunication grid?? Please. They did not make that the requirement to qualify.

And yes, I am aware that it is paid for through the USF, a fund all people pay into if they have any sort phone service.

Editted to add this, directly off the Safelink website:
SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program
that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
month for income-eligible customers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Fredericktown,Ohio
6,953 posts, read 4,426,847 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
On Christmas day? Really? This is the day to get stuck up on the fact that there's a $1.84 monthly charge so those less well off can get some sort of phone service?

I guess I should be surprised, but I'm not.
You seem to have missed the point that I wrote that I was poor and living in the ghetto.I had my own struggle working 2 PT jobs to pay my own bills.And then I had to look at my sorry ass non working neighbors who sat on their porches all day and a good portion of them smoking weed and drinking.I am supposed to feel compassion for these free loading blood suckers to the extent of paying for their phones?
Most of the poor have the rest of us hustled and they have it way better then they deserve,I would know I lived among them.
I would not have any problem if the program was voluntary and the hustled do gooders can half at it and pony up for their phones.Myself,I did not want to be a sucker and still don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,358 posts, read 7,754,492 times
Reputation: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not just for the severely disabled. You can find the Medicaid patients sitting there perfectly healthy playing on their cell phones with cameras and texting, having their 5th or 6th baby surrounded by their many toddlers.
I seriously doubt those free phones come with camera and texting features. My neice's didn't. It's pretty basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 12:42 PM
 
32,554 posts, read 16,657,865 times
Reputation: 17502
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So this is about supplying telecommunications to people in less densely populated and rural areas because of the cost issue associated with improving the telecommunication grid??
That's the main purpose of the USF, yes.

Quote:
Please. They did not make that the requirement to qualify.
Do try to keep up. The USF's purpose is to see to it that everybody has access to phone service, including those in rural areas. The funds for the cell phones come out of the USF. And your average country dweller puts a much larger drain in the USF than the down-and-out guy who gets a basic phone.

What do you think costs more? Dragging a phone line across the plains to one single subscriber living 20 miles outside East Butt****, Idaho, or handing 100 basic handsets to the indigent?

Quote:
Editted to add this, directly off the Safelink website:
SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program
that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
month for income-eligible customers
So I guess today we've learned that government can support a program without paying for it.

There's a certain basic societal advantage in seeing to it that everybody has access to a phone, and so we help the bad business cases - be it those who live far from the nearest city or those who just plain can't afford one.

And forget the "it's a cellphone" hysteria. Once the up-front investment in the transmission net is done, it's way cheaper to deliver wireless service than it is to send a guy out to punch down wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,481,100 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I seriously doubt those free phones come with camera and texting features. My neice's didn't. It's pretty basis.
I'm sure that the gov will subsidize only up to so much, and then the rest is up to the cell phone subscriber himself. some of those ghetto rats will pony up the extra $$ to have fancy features that previous generations with scruples would have "done without". One year when I was on state disablity (just for fun), I applied for the low income subsidy for telephone service that I have been extorted for all of my working years. to my shock, i actually qualified based on $0 income (state disabilty does not count in their formula) and lied about my savings. I was able to qualify for about 1 year and a half where I did not have to pay the USF and the basic fee for my phone service, which halved my monthly bill!

You have to understand that I lived in an entitlement state (calif) where everyday I was subjected to seeing ppl on state and fed assistance (many of them not even legal american citizens). I reached a point where I was tired of seeing these ppl get a free ride and I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top