U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:48 PM

32,503 posts, read 16,644,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
You seem to have missed the point that I wrote that I was poor and living in the ghetto.
I am not sure how that strengthens your argument.

Quote:
I am supposed to feel compassion for these free loading blood suckers to the extent of paying for their phones?
As far as I can tell, it's a pretty rotten service. But if you don't have some sort of telephony, how the hell are you going to even try to apply for a job? "Where can we reach you?" There's a distinct advantage in having telephony for everybody. It's enlightened self-interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
One year when I was on state disablity (just for fun), I applied for the low income subsidy for telephone service that I have been extorted for all of my working years. to my shock, i actually qualified based on $0 income (state disabilty does not count in their formula) and lied about my savings. I was able to qualify for about 1 year and a half where I did not have to pay the USF and the basic fee for my phone service, which halved my monthly bill!
I lack words. Did it occur to you that someone truly in need might have benefited from what you stole?

Quote:
You have to understand that I lived in an entitlement state (calif) where everyday I was subjected to seeing ppl on state and fed assistance (many of them not even legal american citizens). I reached a point where I was tired of seeing these ppl get a free ride and I didn't.
You're wrong. I don't have to understand that at all.

There's a word for people who blame others for doing what they themselves do. There's also a word for those who take what's not rightfully theirs.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM

4,790 posts, read 4,035,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's a certain basic societal advantage in seeing to it that everybody has access to a phone, and so we help the bad business cases - be it those who live far from the nearest city or those who just plain can't afford one.
And what would that be? To enable them to call their case workers or their dealers? There's a societal advantage, a decidedly bigger one, to everyone pulling their own weight in this world and acting responsibly without demanding that others provide for them when they haven't contributed one damn thing to that society.

Quote:
And forget the "it's a cellphone" hysteria. Once the up-front investment in the transmission net is done, it's way cheaper to deliver wireless service than it is to send a guy out to punch down wires.
And I see no purpose in either, and the issuance of a cell phone is rubbing salt in the wound for those of us who have never had anything handed to us but instead worked for what we have. Do the poor really need anytime-anywhere convenience for staying connected? If it's handed to them as yet another entitlement, where's the motivation of ever working out of poverty?

I pay for my cell and other communications abilities. I ask no more or no less of anyone else. This is another case of a want being turned into a need. What's next, free cars so that they may have the "mobility needed to function in society" caused by those rich folks building things so far apart?

Rule #1 - Life's Not Fair. (It was never meant to be.)

Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,477,211 times
Quote:
I lack words. Did it occur to you that someone truly in need might have benefited from what you stole?

You're wrong. I don't have to understand that at all.

There's a word for people who blame others for doing what they themselves do. There's also a word for those who take what's not rightfully theirs.
I don't feel guilty at all. CA gov't and federal govt's STEAL from me all the time!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 4,035,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't feel guilty at all. CA gov't and federal govt's STEAL from me all the time!!!
Be sure to read the thread about "Man It Feels Good To Be A Victim". I'm sure you'll feel right at home with the South Central denizens.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And what would that be? To enable them to call their case workers or their dealers? There's a societal advantage, a decidedly bigger one, to everyone pulling their own weight in this world and acting responsibly without demanding that others provide for them when they haven't contributed one damn thing to that society.

And I see no purpose in either, and the issuance of a cell phone is rubbing salt in the wound for those of us who have never had anything handed to us but instead worked for what we have. Do the poor really need anytime-anywhere convenience for staying connected? If it's handed to them as yet another entitlement, where's the motivation of ever working out of poverty?

I pay for my cell and other communications abilities. I ask no more or no less of anyone else. This is another case of a want being turned into a need. What's next, free cars so that they may have the "mobility needed to function in society" caused by those rich folks building things so far apart?

Rule #1 - Life's Not Fair. (It was never meant to be.)
I think that the phone companies have a lot to do with this giveaway. They probably schemed a way to get this substantial market share of poor folks covered through gov't funding. It has a lot to do with helping corporate america out through use of the extorted taxes spigot of the feds.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Be sure to read the thread about "Man It Feels Good To Be A Victim". I'm sure you'll feel right at home with the South Central denizens.
HaHa, very funny :0

Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
And what would that be? To enable them to call their case workers or their dealers?
Or McDonalds, to learn of their schedule? You can work and still have a low income, you know.

Quote:
There's a societal advantage, a decidedly bigger one, to everyone pulling their own weight in this world and acting responsibly without demanding that others provide for them when they haven't contributed one damn thing to that society.
It is, in fact, possible to be poor without it being your own fault. And I'm interested in this "everybody pulling their own weight" deal. As we've established, most of the USF goes to providing phone service in unprofitable rural areas. Are you in favor of farmers paying the 10-15K or more it costs to string cable to their abodes?

Quote:
And I see no purpose in either, and the issuance of a cell phone is rubbing salt in the wound for those of us who have never had anything handed to us but instead worked for what we have.
That'd be me, and I have no issue.

Quote:
Do the poor really need anytime-anywhere convenience for staying connected?
If they want to stop being poor, being able to get in touch with employers, babysitters, teachers etc. is a fine start.

Quote:
I pay for my cell and other communications abilities. I ask no more or no less of anyone else.
So you are against rural areas having affordable phones. Glad we cleared that up.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,400,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Did you know there is a government supported program to give low income people free cell phones and airtime? Apparently not only is healthcare an innate "right" of being born a citizen of the United States, but cellphones have fallen into this category as well. I mean, GOD, people (even those not able to afford one) should not be expected to live without a cellphone? What kind of world would that be??

Now before you go calling me a liar and accuse me of spreading false information, check it out for yourself
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

Wonder what the next undeniable "right" of being a citizen of the US will be? 42" flat screen TV's? It's a slippery slope we are on.
I agree it seems like the least of the worries for LOW income people, but a cell phone is useful if you happen to be homeless. You can't have a landline if you have no home to put it in. And they don't seem to put the number of the payphone you're calling from on the payphones any longer.

There's a program to provide phone service for low income people also, but that one expects that you have a landline. Perhaps they're just updating it for the 21st century, where people are moving away from having landlines. (Myself, I don't want to give up having a landline.) Telephones would seem to be necessary for work purposes or emergency services. Work can't call you to come in--or not come in--if you don't have a phone. And you can't call 911 if you don't have a phone. While I can't think of any reason I'd be willing to call 911, that doesn't mean other people do not call for help.

What's your alternative? Emergency services given only if you have the means to pay for them? Up front?

Old 12-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Or McDonalds, to learn of their schedule? You can work and still have a low income, you know.

It is, in fact, possible to be poor without it being your own fault. And I'm interested in this "everybody pulling their own weight" deal. As we've established, most of the USF goes to providing phone service in unprofitable rural areas. Are you in favor of farmers paying the 10-15K or more it costs to string cable to their abodes?

That'd be me, and I have no issue.

If they want to stop being poor, being able to get in touch with employers, babysitters, teachers etc. is a fine start.

So you are against rural areas having affordable phones. Glad we cleared that up.

Too many ppl in today's world feel like they MUST have cell phones, texting, etc. Only 20-25 years ago and before, most ppl simply "did without". If you didn;t have it, you didn;t have it. Nobody expected the gov't to come in and pay for it. if the worker needed their mcdonalds schedule, they would go in person to obtain it or use a neighbor's phone to ask the manager. why does everyone need a phone? as somebody opined before, Life isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies